Friday OT #2 - Dystextia

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @cyclones500 (as I say so often!) for another great thread idea!

Texting. Even my 80-year-old grandmother does it. What are some of your fumblings? What have you texted to the wrong person on accident, and what has happened? What's your best autocorrect story?

My story isn't great, just silly. Voice-to-text was a new thing (so the technology was even less exact), and I was hugely pregnant and on bedrest with our daughter. My husband had to run in to work, and so I was lying out in the car waiting for him. He texted me to see how I was doing - I was very uncomfortable, and so I did voice-to-text to tell him that I was in a lot of pain... but my phone changed it to "I'm in a lot of cheese." I had no idea why he questioned what I had sent.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
My wife makes dessert bars that are basically a flat version of a salted nut roll. She texted to tell me she was making them and autocorrect changed it for some reason to "salted but-rolls" and that is what we have jokingly called them ever since even though it sounds absolutely disgusting

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
My parents and aunt and uncle had come down to visit us earlier in the year. We were driving around, showing them the sights, and my aunt, uncle, wife, and mother decided to run in to the campus bookstore real quick to get a t-shirt or something. Since there's no place to park, I told them that I'd circle the block and to give me a call when they're ready to be picked up. This leaves me, my dad, and my 3 year old son in the car driving about.

Important to the story: My wife was probably 30-32 weeks pregnant at the time, and baby girl happened to be positioned just right to provide a good dose of tailbone pain for the past week or so.

Anyway, after circling for a while, I get a text. Since I was driving, I elected to have the car read the text back to me (safety first and all). What did that text say? No, not "We're ready to be picked up." No, she texted "My butt hurts".

• Funny
Reactions: oldman and Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A texting version of Cyclonepride's example above: For people I commonly text, I usually go to Recent Messages screen and click my intended recipient. Occasionally I don't pay close enough attention, so "I love you" texts intended for my spouse have gone to my supervisor (who's female), another co-worker (also a woman) and my sister-in-law.

In each case, reactions were good-natured, they knew to whom the text was intended. The fact I've done it multiple times has brought frequent amusement in my work department.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
My text message story is more about my dad being a late adapter to new technology.

When I was 18 text messaging was really getting huge and for my high school graduation I asked if we could add texting to our cell phone plan. My dad argued it was a dumb idea and people need to just call each other. Ten plus years later and that's pretty much the only way we communicate with each other anymore.

Reactions: Angie

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Back in the day when we only had land lines and people memorized phone numbers....

I had a couple of girls I would ring up. Well their numbers were identical except for 2 numbers that were transposed

A few times I didn't get the person I thought I was calling. Had to be a little quick on my feet

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Not a text, but I am so used to putting "Love you" at the end of emails to females (since my wife is by far the most frequent female that I regularly converse with via email) that I said that to the school lunch account person.

You email your wife?

I suppose that’s normal, but that seems so weird to me.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
That one time my mom went full GOT with my brother in a family group chat.

My girlfriend at the time didn't have her phone and had a text convo with her dad with my phone. She ended the conversation with "I love you dad". He responded with "okay" because the whole time her dad thought it was me texting him.

upload_2018-8-10_8-38-36.png

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You email your wife?

I suppose that’s normal, but that seems so weird to me.

Really? It's not like I'm sitting on one end of the couch emailing her at the other end. It's usually when we're both at work, or when I'm at work and she's home. Even if I did want to talk to her on the phone, she's not big with her cell phone. It's dead half the time and 3/4 of the rest of the time, it's in her purse and she may not answer.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
A friend of ours was having a baby shower and I said I'd run to Babies R Us to pick up a few gifts. A group of us piled our cash together to get some bigger items. I had the registry thing, had a plan of what to get, and was gonna make it a quick grab and go. I sent a group text telling them everything I grabbed, which included a baby bouncer.

One of our friends asked me which bouncer I got and I said I got a Bjorn. Unfortunately, it auto-corrected to "I got a boner".

I didn't catch it.

My friends all did.

So this group text continues for about 5 minutes. They continued asking me about the size of it, the color of it, if anyone noticed, did they gift wrap it, etc. And I kept replying not understanding their fascination was with this damn bouncer.

Last edited:

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My text message story is more about my dad being a late adapter to new technology.

When I was 18 text messaging was really getting huge and for my high school graduation I asked if we could add texting to our cell phone plan. My dad argued it was a dumb idea and people need to just call each other. Ten plus years later and that's pretty much the only way we communicate with each other anymore.

This is my dad, too. It was always, “Just call them!” Now he will say just text them.

Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Was texting a cop friend of mine in Philadelphia. He does marine rescue and recovery. Pulling lots of bridge jumpers out of the river - real gruesome sometimes. Anyway, a couple weeks ago when it was really hot both here and there we were joking about it and I told him to go jump in the river. Then he asked me what I was doing. I said I was just working around inside the house - that I was still sweating inside the A/Ced house and to add some humor, that I was bare-ass naked.

What I didn't realize at the time was my brother had sent me a text in between and I accidentally replied the working/sweating/naked text to him instead of my cop buddy.

He replied, "Put some damn CLOTHES on!" I had to explain it all to him afterwards.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Not me but a woman I work with. She's really good at her job but a real ditz.

This was about 5 years ago. She had just gotten a new Galaxy S2 and was having trouble texting, so she asked me what she was doing wrong. She would type and it all came out strange. So I told her try speak to text option. I noticed it looked like Spanish. Then I figured out she had her text language set to Spanish so the phone was interpreting her input as being in Spanish.
I waited till the next day to tell her to switch it to English.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Really? It's not like I'm sitting on one end of the couch emailing her at the other end. It's usually when we're both at work, or when I'm at work and she's home. Even if I did want to talk to her on the phone, she's not big with her cell phone. It's dead half the time and 3/4 of the rest of the time, it's in her purse and she may not answer.

Maybe it’s because I’m still of an age where I’ve had a phone and texting capability my entire adult life? It’s definitely strange to me, though. Like, I only email work related things. I can’t think of the last time I’ve emailed something that was just a personal conversation and not business related. I’ll text/Facebook message/snap whatever to someone.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Another one involving spouse/co-worker (different colleague) -- they're names have similar spelling, so it's easy to choose the wrong one.

One day I was at the grocery store, sent a text home with a question about something on the shopping list. Co-worker responded, to the effect, "I don't think you intended that text for me." I texted back, something like "LOL. Sorry about that!" So I went to recent text screen, retyped my question and sent to spouse.

Or so I thought ... phone dings, I look, it says: "DUDE!!?!!! " .... I had sent same message to my co-worker again.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I got a text a couple years ago at 6am from my mom saying something along the lines of "Got home safely. Love you to pieces!" Thinking about my mom staying the night at her boyfriend's place was not how I had wanted to start my morning.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Maybe it’s because I’m still of an age where I’ve had a phone and texting capability my entire adult life? It’s definitely strange to me, though. Like, I only email work related things. I can’t think of the last time I’ve emailed something that was just a personal conversation and not business related. I’ll text/Facebook message/snap whatever to someone.

Yeah, I didn't have a cell phone until I was 28 or so, but mainly it's because my wife doesn't pay any attention to her phone at all.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
OH EM GEE...are you PapaLew in disguise????
While we were still working, we ALWAYS emailed because my phone attitude is like your wife's. Matter of fact, most of the time, our kids call his phone and say "hand the phone to mom" if they're trying to call me. :)

Help Support Us

Become a patron