TEXAS WANTED BAYLOR OUT BACK IN 2016...

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
They would be out if there was a viable new member in my opinion. Although I think SMU would satisfy the state of Texas commitment. Not sure they bring anything else to the table.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
They would be out if there was a viable new member in my opinion. Although I think SMU would satisfy the state of Texas commitment. Not sure they bring anything else to the table.

As bad as rape and "rape culture" is, SMU let Craig James get away with killing 5 hookers. I know, I know, there is no evidence Craig James is a five time murderer, but then again he never has offered any proof to the contrary.

In all seriousness, SMU is forever stained from getting the first (and seemingly last) NCAA death penalty for their football program. You can argue it's been 30+ years or whatever, but the optics of trading BU for SMU is poor at best. Also, didn't Larry Brown steer their basketball program in to sanctions a year or so ago?

Kick BU out, and see if we can get a school from Colorado to join (or re-join) the league. I need a better reason to visit the mountains!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
SMU is part of why we got Baylor in the first place. Their death sentence blew up the Southwestern conference. Arkansas went to the SEC, Houston, TCU & Rice were too small to play with the big boys, and we inherited 4 Texas schools - UT, A&M, TTU, and Baylor.

It might be just me, but I don't think SMU is necessarily a step up...more like a lateral.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
SMU is part of why we got Baylor in the first place. Their death sentence blew up the Southwestern conference. Arkansas went to the SEC, Houston, TCU & Rice were too small to play with the big boys, and we inherited 4 Texas schools - UT, A&M, TTU, and Baylor.

It might be just me, but I don't think SMU is necessarily a step up...more like a lateral.

Trust me I don’t think they are a step up. However, the Texas connection is big. Texas lawmakers have a lot of pull on teams moving to other places. We could toss Baylor for SMU. SMU was a bad program but the big 12 could oversee them and make them play nice.

Can’t have a conference with 9 teams. I would rather have another school. Just not sure the lawmakers in Texas would be ok with it

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Houston was openly campaigning for a new spot when expansion talks were hotter. They'd come at the drop of a hat.

You can argue that they wouldnt make sense as an 11th member, given they don't really expand the footprint all that much. But as a replacement for Baylor? They would fit right in and long-term would probably be a better program than Baylor.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
No private school cake eaters like SMU and no commuter schools like Houston. Don't add anybody unless they are a state institution with a sizable enrollment.

We're not talking about adding someone, this would be replacing someone if it had ever happened.

And the 'commuter school' argument is a **** one. Who the **** cares where the kids live. Its a school in a major city, so yeah a lot of them are going to save some money and stay at home. Rankings can be picked apart, but theyre in the neighborhood of Texas Tech\West Virginia in a quick rankings search. They have a good enough athletics department to be a replacement for Baylor if needed.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I wanted them out in 1994 :p
giphy.webp

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No private school cake eaters like SMU and no commuter schools like Houston. Don't add anybody unless they are a state institution with a sizable enrollment.

For straight conference expansion we're all pretty much in agreement, but it's a different animal if Baylor is expelled at some point. This conference needs a 4th Texas school for recruiting purposes for the rest of the schools (2 games played in Texas each year) and there just aren't any realistic options available outside of Houston.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
We're not talking about adding someone, this would be replacing someone if it had ever happened.

And the 'commuter school' argument is a **** one. Who the **** cares where the kids live. Its a school in a major city, so yeah a lot of them are going to save some money and stay at home. Rankings can be picked apart, but theyre in the neighborhood of Texas Tech\West Virginia in a quick rankings search. They have a good enough athletics department to be a replacement for Baylor if needed.
Heck, the University of Minnesota is largely a commuter school.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan93

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
It'd bring the academic requirement and an endowment that best both Houston and Baylor currently.