TEXAS WANTED BAYLOR OUT BACK IN 2016...

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
Agreed. The future of CFB (however long that is) belongs to large public state institutions which can produce alumni on a bigger scale and afford the facilities required. As stated previously the Big 12 didn't want BU (or TTU, actually) initially anyway. Arkansas would be the slam dunk backfill but that won't happen. So really, if we're talking about jettisoning BU then CSU rises to the top for the profile of a useful, available partner.

Nothing against UH. I'd take them over Rapelor this minute. But I'd take CSU first.

EDIT; The BYU thing. BYU is Mormon Baylor. Private schools that hold a tight grip to their religion are NOT the future for P5 athletics. I'd love to see a poll of Iowa Catholics cheering interests...no way ND has more fans than UI/ISU among them. Large, state funded, alumni rich schools are the partners we want.
Your crazy if you think we should turn away ND.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Agreed. The future of CFB (however long that is) belongs to large public state institutions which can produce alumni on a bigger scale and afford the facilities required. As stated previously the Big 12 didn't want BU (or TTU, actually) initially anyway. Arkansas would be the slam dunk backfill but that won't happen. So really, if we're talking about jettisoning BU then CSU rises to the top for the profile of a useful, available partner.

Nothing against UH. I'd take them over Rapelor this minute. But I'd take CSU first.

EDIT; The BYU thing. BYU is Mormon Baylor. Private schools that hold a tight grip to their religion are NOT the future for P5 athletics. I'd love to see a poll of Iowa Catholics cheering interests...no way ND has more fans than UI/ISU among them. Large, state funded, alumni rich schools are the partners we want.

Did you fall and hit your head?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I agree with alarson. I don't see how CSU would ever make sense. I assume ISU fans like the idea of a road trip to the mountains, plus the Eustachy connection. But what makes anyone think that CSU would have a ceiling higher than CU? CU has been the flagship forever, and they are still pretty irrelevant in the scheme of things. CSU would be lucky to even match that.

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
I agree with alarson. I don't see how CSU would ever make sense. I assume ISU fans like the idea of a road trip to the mountains, plus the Eustachy connection. But what makes anyone think that CSU would have a ceiling higher than CU? CU has been the flagship forever, and they are still pretty irrelevant in the scheme of things. CSU would be lucky to even match that.
Just returned from Colorado and I noticed that the general public had almost zero following for CO or CSU. I did notice a few Bronco fans. Heck, there were more ISU fans there then CO or CSU fans.

Styx

Nov 16, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
False, check their website. Its in the 23k range.

Sure thing. 25,688 undergraduates.

http://irpe-reports.colostate.edu/pdf/cds/cds1617.pdf

I lived in Houston before I moved to Fort Collins. Fort Collins is very much a college that would fit well into the Big 12. Why are you stating that it only being an area of a few hundred thousand is such a bad thing? Look at the population around ISU. The population on the front range of Colorado is growing at a fast rate and CSU would help bring viewership in Denver. Houston is not going to be bringing any additional viewership. Everyone who cares about college football is already watching the Big 12 or SEC.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Odd, i was going from here

http://irasp101.ir.colostate.edu:97...N_University_Enrollment_Summary.xdo?&_xmode=2

Which shows 23k.

I lived in Houston before I moved to Fort Collins. Fort Collins is very much a college that would fit well into the Big 12. Why are you stating that it only being an area of a few hundred thousand is such a bad thing? Look at the population around ISU. The population on the front range of Colorado is growing at a fast rate and CSU would help bring viewership in Denver. Houston is not going to be bringing any additional viewership. Everyone who cares about college football is already watching the Big 12 or SEC.

As @aeroclone reiterated, nobody cared about Colorado when they were in the big 12, they certainly will not care about CSU. You assume CSU will bring in the denver audience, but there is even less reason to believe they will bring that than Houston will. Denver has a P5 team in its metro that gets no views already. its little brother school would get even less. Houston has not had a P5 team in its metro, so there's potential for growth there.

As for 'why im stating that a few hundred thousand is a bad thing', im not. Im stating that Houston has a lot larger area to pull from so they don't have to have as high a % of people interested in order to be the same or greater draw.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Your crazy if you think we should turn away ND.
That will never be an eventuality so we don't have to worry about it.

I clearly didn't explain myself well enough and made a weak comparison of BYU & ND. I'll try again...

If the hypothetical is booting BU and backfilling, I'd suggest NOT doing it with BYU but rather a large public university with the ability to create a lot of alumni. If that's UH, great! I like CSU...or Cinci also.

The ND thing was to suggest scale. ND doesn't own Catholics the way it used to and BYU owns Mormons less now too. Utah is a place where Mormon kids can find a large Mormon community and play P5 ball. I don't know for sure but I'd bet the Pac has been able to siphon off a LOT of Mormons that otherwise used to be locked into BYU since Utah joined.

Reactions: JaCyn

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
None of this will ever happen but I would have absolutely booted Baylor. Still time if more crap comes up and of course there will be a cost to it.

My dream (it will never happen) is a nice, lucrative deal with ESPN and Netflix that is trend setting and sets the league up with zero doubt. ESPN going out to demonstrate it's own platform off of the cord could be a part of this. Prior to making this public, I sit down privately w/ Aggie and w/ Mizzou and inform them of the deal and how we can work them back into the Big 12. The Big 12 needs the aTm and UT rivalry and I extend a promise that UT will behave. Next, I publicly boot Baylor and announce that we are adding two members back. There is now some competition for that 12th spot, BYU will want it, Houston will want it and perhaps some Pac 12 members will want it like CU or one of the Arizona schools or maybe USC would want it? It is a long shot but since I am dreaming. With the new deal in place, the Big 12 will be in the role of the Bachelor with one spot to give.

Could possibly stop there if the The SEC decided to then add West Virginia and another school.

I know Mizzou and aTm put us in a tough spot but the league inventory would be better with both back in the family.

ISU, KU, KSU, MU, OU, OSU, UT, aTm, TCU and TTU. That is a nice league.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The only reason they have not tossed Baylor is because of Texas politics. That and we can’t have a 9 team conference. If Arkansas or Norte dame would accept an offer. Baylor would be gone. No conference would turn down Norte Dame. They bring more to the table than anyone. Not just regional exposure but National exposure

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
As bad as rape and "rape culture" is, SMU let Craig James get away with killing 5 hookers. I know, I know, there is no evidence Craig James is a five time murderer, but then again he never has offered any proof to the contrary.

In all seriousness, SMU is forever stained from getting the first (and seemingly last) NCAA death penalty for their football program. You can argue it's been 30+ years or whatever, but the optics of trading BU for SMU is poor at best. Also, didn't Larry Brown steer their basketball program in to sanctions a year or so ago?

Kick BU out, and see if we can get a school from Colorado to join (or re-join) the league. I need a better reason to visit the mountains!

The only problem I see with a Colorado school joining the big 12 is that they just dont fit geogaphically in a Southern Conference

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Add both Arizonas , Colorado, Utah, boot Baylor, back to 12.

A "west" division of Texas , Tech, Colorado, Arizonas, Utah.

The suffering Pac goes back to coastal.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The only problem I see with a Colorado school joining the big 12 is that they just dont fit geogaphically in a Southern Conference

Geography went out the window long ago in the new conferences.

I remember getting into an argument with a Big 10 homer a few years ago.

He was slamming the Big 12 for taking in West Virginia, but thought PSU, Rutgers and Maryland were fine.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If we dump Baylor and add Houston, we aren't any more Texas centric than we were, and if anything it helps stem against the pipeline Aggy opened by going to the SEC.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Kick Baylor OUT! Now! (and DO NOT add another Texas school.)

Arkansas should be the #1 focus along with the Arizona schools to add to the conference. (Pac 12 is hemorrhaging $$$ due to the failure that is the Pac 12 network) and institutions can make more $$$ landing in the Big 12.

Also, is there a penalty for any SEC institutions to leave their conference?

Heck, Arkansas grants in-state tuition to KC area students as well. They even have a border-state tuition break program.

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBl...s-adds-to-border-state-tutition-break-program

I hope Big 12 leadership is targeting UA, ASU, Ark. In 2024, there is going to be a huge shake-up.