Friday OT #1 - Long Live Rock

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
First ever concert was Ronnie Milsap at Worlds of Fun somewhere in the late 70s. First arena show was the BeeGees at Hilton in 1979 (mom took me for some reason). I've never been to a stadium concert.

Reactions: cyclones500

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Sevendust, Gravity Kills, and Flaw at Val Air in early 2002. As a teen this show was a "gateway" show for me, in multiple ways. I liked it a lot to say the least. Any time one of the songs from this show comes up on my itunes, it takes me right back to that wild night. I'd do that one again if I could :)

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I did see them again up at Hilton maybe 10-15 years ago? It was OK but they just need to call it a career. Still like VH music but the band has become a caricature of themselves over the years.

It doesn't help that Dave is still snorting coke like a 20 year-old. If they ever bring back Sammy, they'd put on a good show again. Love me some classic Van Halen, but Sammy has his $h1t together. Saw Sammy a couple years ago playing with "The Circle" down in Burlington. Great show.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
DotFest 3 at the Ankeny Airfield in 1999. The only acts I remember seeing are 2 Skinnee Js, the Atomic Fireballs, and Smashmouth. I know Run DMC performed but by then my group had left. Not proud of that. At the time I just wasn't much of a hip hop guy.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Def Leppard Hysteria Tour at the Five Seasons Center in Cedar Rapids in 1987. I loved it then. I don't even know if they're still making new music. I assume they aren't.

I saw them again in the early 00s at the Mississippi Valley Fair. They had lost a step, for sure.

Most recent studio album was in 2015, so not that far back.

Reactions: harimad

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Probably around '98 @ Ankeny airport. Sister Hazel, Tonic, Soul Asylum, Joan Jett.

Looking back, pretty lame.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
DotFest 3 at the Ankeny Airfield in 1999. The only acts I remember seeing are 2 Skinnee Js, the Atomic Fireballs, and Smashmouth. I know Run DMC performed but by then my group had left. Not proud of that. At the time I just wasn't much of a hip hop guy.

I went to a DotFest. Can't remember which one but The Urge was the closer. They were awesome.

Worst part of it was Marcy Playground. They were popular with their one song "Sex and Candy". Their set was, "Sex and Candy", a few other unrecognizable songs, and then "Sex and Candy" AGAIN!

Reactions: jbindm

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
It doesn't help that Dave is still snorting coke like a 20 year-old. If they ever bring back Sammy, they'd put on a good show again. Love me some classic Van Halen, but Sammy has his $h1t together. Saw Sammy a couple years ago playing with "The Circle" down in Burlington. Great show.

Sammy and Michael Anthony are probably the only guys associated with that group who are worth seeing, in my opinion.

I love the DLR VH stuff, but Dave has a big ego. Same with Eddie. Those two destroyed that band.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I went to a DotFest. Can't remember which one but The Urge was the closer. They were awesome.

Worst part of it was Marcy Playground. They were popular with their one song "Sex and Candy". Their set was, "Sex and Candy", a few other unrecognizable songs, and then "Sex and Candy" AGAIN!

I think that was '98. I remember hearing about the show but not being able to find someone with a car who wanted to go.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My first EVER concert was 311 in 1995 at The Love Shack downtown. It was out back behind the place which was good, because I was 16. I went with my older brother and some of his friends. The band hung out after the show and signed all of our CD cases. They were super chill and nice.

I remember moshing and crowd surfing and getting dropped and hurting myself.

It was pretty cool and 311 has been one of my favorite bands since I stole their album "MUSIC" from my older brother in 93 or 94.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think that was '98. I remember hearing about the show but not being able to find someone with a car who wanted to go.

I went with my biyotch of an ex girlfriend. We only got to see the bands she wanted to see except The Urge who I demanded to stay for. They were the best act of the day for sure. I still have two of their CDs somewhere.

Reactions: jbindm

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames

Please tell me they didn't play the same song twice. I refuse to believe it. That's lame as hell.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Mine was 3 Doors Down as an early high schooler. haha. I only knew their popular songs but my friend really wanted to go and since I had never been to a concert, I was excited to go no matter who it was. We ended up seeing them again the next year because we wanted to see Breaking Benjamin who opened for them. Can't exactly say I'm proud to have seen them twice as a headliner.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Sammy and Michael Anthony are probably the only guys associated with that group who are worth seeing, in my opinion.

I love the DLR VH stuff, but Dave has a big ego. Same with Eddie. Those two destroyed that band.

Eddie's doing better nowadays. Finally kicked the booze, battled cancer, now loves performing with his son. The downside is how Michael Anthony was dismissed without a formal notice. He's done well for himself with Hagar though.

• Agree
Reactions: CtownCyclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Please tell me they didn't play the same song twice. I refuse to believe it. That's lame as hell.

It's not the first time I've heard of a one hit wonder band pulling that stunt. I had a friend who went and saw Fastball right when their single The Way was all over the radio. He said they opened and closed with it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron