Facility Upgrades

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not sure exactly. To me it looks like the hill is staying. I'd guess I'll find out more Saturday morning.

It appears that they will be doing some work to make the hillsides more symmetrical. I can see them terracing the hillsides as well in order to make them a little more fan friendly.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
This addition could tremendously help recruiting. Would be a big draw for recruits to have all of the facilities they use daily in one central location.

Exactly! JP was talking about that in the Murph and Andy (is that the show name?) podcast that got posted here earlier in the week. He was basically saying that the athletes, except for class, would be able to do all of their sports activities in a much smaller area than in the past.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Exactly! JP was talking about that in the Murph and Andy (is that the show name?) podcast that got posted here earlier in the week. He was basically saying that the athletes, except for class, would be able to do all of their sports activities in a much smaller area than in the past.

I'm glad this is happening. I never understood Rhoads' take that that place should be for business only.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I was never a fan of the aesthetic of the Olsen Building. I think the upgrade looks like a nice improvement. That is my input.

That's not a surprise. The Olsen building literally was the only football building over there (well, besides the stadium, of course) for a very long time. It has been past time for it to be gracefully retired for many years now.

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU and srjclone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Last I saw was they were looking to spend ~$80 million or more than the SEZ. That brought a whole new stadium and building.

1. Ok, your losing this, not gaining
2. Olympic facility?
3. Already have one a block away
4. Again already have and was built for far less money. (not sure what they spent on that addition to the Indoor facility. (EDIT: Looked it up and this addition cost $20.6 million to original $10 million Indoor facility).

1. Addition by subtraction but in reality is just being replaced by the olympic sport facility.
2. Yes olympic sports...you know those non-revenue sports that no one here wants to talk about but still exist.
3. D-1 Sports if you aren't upgrading you are losing. Plus I would imagine that a very quickly growing university like ISU would love to have more space for those services for the general population.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It seems that many of those ******** about cost are totally ignoring the green building that is the full length of the indoor practice facility and would house pretty much all of sports offices that aren't FB and BB. I realize that scale gets misleading when you have a huge building like that one in the middle of it, but this is a big project.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The main reason i could see people being disappointed is that there was talk of a multi-story building placed in the north end.

That being said, most of this is outside of the stadium's footprint, and thankfully doesn't put another major item in the way if someday we want to knock down the jake and video board and have the north end mirror the south.