NBA: ***Official 2017-2018 Regular Season Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Wolves are clinging to that last playoff spot in the West - just 1.5 games up on the Clips. I suppose on the bright side they're only two games behind the Thunder for the fourth spot. They need Jimmy Butler back in a bad way. I knew they'd do well just to play .500 ball with him out but losing at home to the Grizzlies the other night was just awful.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The Wolves are clinging to that last playoff spot in the West - just 1.5 games up on the Clips. I suppose on the bright side they're only two games behind the Thunder for the fourth spot. They need Jimmy Butler back in a bad way. I knew they'd do well just to play .500 ball with him out but losing at home to the Grizzlies the other night was just awful.

Is this where we revisit the whole Wiggins max player discussion? Because I'm up for that.

• Funny
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is this where we revisit the whole Wiggins max player discussion? Because I'm up for that.

I'd say he's the least of their problems right now, although I'd agree that the early returns on his contract extension aren't awesome. The timing of Butler's injury is really bad. Assuming they hold on to make the playoffs (I think they will), Butler will come back and then he and KAT are going to have to figure out who the alpha is on the fly. Towns has been a beast while Butler has been out. Once they're both back in the lineup, who's the first option? KAT might not want to take a step back.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Celtics v Jazz on ESPN right now. Nader playing well, got a nice steal and finished for 2. ISU got a shout out from Van Gundy.

Niang on the bench for Utah.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
As the season is winding down, and the real fun starts, who's everybody got in the playoffs?

I think it'll still be Cleveland out of the East, but they will be pushed to 7 by Toronto.

I'll say the West is still Golden State, but could easily see them getting beat by Houston. In the end, until someone beats them, or Curry can't get back healthy, Golden State will win it all again.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
As the season is winding down, and the real fun starts, who's everybody got in the playoffs?

I think it'll still be Cleveland out of the East, but they will be pushed to 7 by Toronto.

I'll say the West is still Golden State, but could easily see them getting beat by Houston. In the end, until someone beats them, or Curry can't get back healthy, Golden State will win it all again.

If I had to bet the safe pick is probably to run back the Warriors and Cavs one more time with the Dubs winning in six. Toronto has to prove it in the postseason. This could be the year, but Lebron looks like he's on some kind of mission as of late. The Celts are a what could've been story. Next year with Hayward and Irving back and healthy they'll be dangerous. I'm not buying the Wizards with or without John Wall. I think Philly is still a year away and the Pacers and the Heat are a nice story but major overachievers. Giannis might get the Bucks through the first round, especially if they draw the Cavs without Kyrie. Can't see them getting much further than that.

The West is still such a mess for seeding possibilities that it's tough to say. If healthy, the Warriors are still the class of the conference. Maybe Houston takes them down. It's about time D'antoni broke through and made it to a Finals. The Spurs are kind of a wild card if Kawhi makes it back and Lamarcus Aldridge isn't too seriously hurt.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Well this sucks....

@ramonashelburne Sixers say Joel Embiid has been diagnosed with a concussion and has been placed in the NBA’s concussion protocol. A CT scan revealed an orbital fracture of his left eye and surgery will be performed in the coming days to address the orbital fracture.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Well this sucks....

@ramonashelburne Sixers say Joel Embiid has been diagnosed with a concussion and has been placed in the NBA’s concussion protocol. A CT scan revealed an orbital fracture of his left eye and surgery will be performed in the coming days to address the orbital fracture.

Out 2-4 weeks is the timeline being floated right now. There's a good possibility that he'll miss the first round of the playoffs. Sucks for Philly, but I had my doubts they were going to get out of the first round anyway. Their time is coming. Not quite there yet.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Big game for the Timberwolves and Nuggets tonight in Denver. A win for Minnesota would keep them in the conversation for as high as a four seed. A loss would drop them into a tie with the Nuggets for the eighth and final spot. High stakes for both teams.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
boo, I wanted to see them play the cavs in the playoffs with kyrie.

Yeah, Cavs vs. Celtics with Irving and Hayward would have made for an entertaining series. I still think Lebron would have put the Cavs over the top, but I guess it's moot now.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Yeah, Cavs vs. Celtics with Irving and Hayward would have made for an entertaining series. I still think Lebron would have put the Cavs over the top, but I guess it's moot now.
The real question is can Toronto beat the cavs in a 7 game series? I don't think so. I think Lebron will lead his team to his 8th straight finals and play The Rockets

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The real question is can Toronto beat the cavs in a 7 game series? I don't think so. I think Lebron will lead his team to his 8th straight finals and play The Rockets

No. I think that if the Raptors run into the Cavs in the postseason they'll fold and the series will be over in five. Looking at the East I just don't see a serious threat to Cleveland. Boston's dinged up, Toronto never has been able to get over the hump, the Pacers and Heat are short on star power, Philly's too young and inexperienced, the Bucks are a one man show, and the Wizards are coached by Scott Brooks.

I think it's Cavs and Warriors one more time, although Golden State is going to get pushed more on their way to the Finals. Wouldn't surprise me if someone in the West is able to take them to a Game 7.

• Agree
Reactions: Playboi Carti