Perfect day at hilton.. Only 1 problem

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Jeff grayer was in Attendance and i kept waiting for them to acknowledge him to get his standing ovation. Never happened as far as i could tell. They showed him on the video board once but it was during a dance # and i dont think many people recognized him. I think he deserved it in my opinion.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Dude has his number hung in the rafters and they gave him nothing but that one shot. Disappointing indeed. I'm embarrassed that I thought he was Thigpen at first. One of my all time favorite players.

• Agree
Reactions: cyups2323

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I read in a Twitter thread somewhere that he asked not to be recognized. I'll see if I can find it again and link it.

That really speaks a lot to his character, IMO.

I grew up in Ames going to ISU basketball games at Hilton, and I remember Grayer not just for his talent (which was out of this world), but also as being a pretty quiet, upstanding guy who seemed like a really decent, good guy.

I hope that at least Prohm got to bring him into the locker room either before or after the game and meet with the current players or something.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
It makes sense now that we know he asked not too be recognized. I didnt think we would drop the ball like that with a guy who has his jersey in the rafters.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Where does he live these days? Would be cool if he came back for KU and make a big deal of it if he allows it and can be there.

If we beat KU to add to the stack of ranked team wins and keep them from a title I'm going to be on cloud nine even though it was such an up and down year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Interesting that he didn't seem to want the acknowledgement because he is on the ISU Mount Rushmore, IMO. I was there for 3 of his seasons, and he was always a very reserved and soft-spoken guy.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydar and cyfanatic

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
That really speaks a lot to his character, IMO.

I grew up in Ames going to ISU basketball games at Hilton, and I remember Grayer not just for his talent (which was out of this world), but also as being a pretty quiet, upstanding guy who seemed like a really decent, good guy.

I hope that at least Prohm got to bring him into the locker room either before or after the game and meet with the current players or something.

Coach said he spoke to team beforehand.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I figured that he requested not to be announced since they always announce it when players are here.

One of the things I love about Prohm is he is doing such a great job getting former players involved.