iPhone X or 8 Plus?

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Hey guys -

I am due for a phone upgrade. Currently with the 6S. It's through US Cellular so I'm not really buying a new phone. The difference between the X and 8 Plus for me would only be a couple of bucks a month. I'm leaning towards the X but wondered if any of you have had any experiences that should sway me in one way or another?

(Also please spare the sarcastic Android comments. My entire work life is build on Apple products so it'd be a major pain to make the switch right now)
Why don't you use the opportunity to get out of your contract? You'll buy phone (or keep your current one) up front, but save a LOT on your monthly charge as you're not essentially renting your phone.

L

LincolnWay187

I like Apple products but they are seriously kind of evil. Slowing down their old phones...really? I hate their group messaging only works with their own products and iTunes is a joke. You have to put in your credit card in order to recover your password? Piss off. come on Williams go Android

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Hey guys -

I am due for a phone upgrade. Currently with the 6S. It's through US Cellular so I'm not really buying a new phone. The difference between the X and 8 Plus for me would only be a couple of bucks a month. I'm leaning towards the X but wondered if any of you have had any experiences that should sway me in one way or another?

(Also please spare the sarcastic Android comments. My entire work life is build on Apple products so it'd be a major pain to make the switch right now)
US Cellular has a deal for $5/month for iPhone 8 right now, not sure if it's only new customers though and probably have to trade in your device.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
US Cellular has a deal for $5/month for iPhone 8 right now, not sure if it's only new customers though and probably have to trade in your device.

There's no trade in required, but you have to get the unlimited plan and device protection. If you were going to get those anyway, it's a pretty good deal. Otherwise, the unlimited plan is $10 more than the 6GB plan and I think the device protection is $10-$12.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No home button would irritate me on the X.

Technically the 7/8 doesn't have a home "button", either. It's just a circle carved out of the glass with something that vibrates under the surface when you press it with your finger or thumb that gives it the appearance and feeling of being a button. But press that "button" with your fingernail or anything else and it doesn't push in like a button.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I know you said no android crap, but as someone who was an apple person who is now going to switch I highly recommend this video if you are looking at the. X.

He's got a point w face id unlock, I don't want it to be a two step process and it shouldn't be.

On the flip side, it's a minor annoyance but I don't like (what fingerprint scanner) with my current phone is that when I get a notification and pick up my phone it unlocks the screen and I don't see the notification because of the way I picked it up with thumb on scanner, which yes, after getting use to the fingerprint scanner I now find myself out of habit always picking up with thumb on or near scanner. Minor, but just a small counter point.

• Optimistic
Reactions: packattack425

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm going to pay off my crappy SE, and then enroll in this:

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

You're basically leasing your phone, but can upgrade each year.

You should really pay cash for your phone. IF you must, get a 15 year, fixed plan.

vauEUgn.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and BoxsterCy

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
yes, 6 and up can get a replacement battery for $29..regular price is $79.

Excellent. I have a 6 that works fine except for loss of some battery life. With the new payment plans where you're forced to buy a minimum $500 phone (vs. ~$200 for with the old contract plans) I want to keep with my current phone as long as possible.

Reactions: keepngoal

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I have both, they’re both great devices. You’ll hear tons of things but the only differences that really matter are Face ID vs Touch ID and slightly taller but narrower screen.

I like the width of the screen on the 8+ more and Touch ID is much better when trying to use the device while it’s sitting on my desk. However, Face ID works great every other time and the size difference is huge despite the minimal screen difference.

If I had to send one back and not switch back and forth, the X is what I’d keep.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Stupid question and I'm too lazy to google. Does the X have a smaller screen (not overall phone size) than a *plus model?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Take it from a person that just recently wasted a lot of money on an 8+. My wife had a 6+ for about 3 years and in late 2017 she started have weird battery issues. It would drop from like 90 to 30% to zero in a matter of minutes. We reset the whole phone that didn't work, we took it into the Apple store and they said the battery was fine, etc. This was before the whole battery thing from Apple. Finally I said screw it and got her an 8+. Her new phone is nice and everything but there is very little difference between her old 6+ and the 8+ besides the battery. If I had the chance again, I would have them replace the battery. This was my fault for not getting a battery and my wife's fault for being an Apple fanboy. I guess the bright side is that I didn't spring an extra $300 for the X.

I think the problem is that it use to be that every two years when you upgraded you'd spend $500 but get a lot better phone. No you spend $1,000 and barely notice a difference in speed, no additional space, same or worse battery life, lose a headphone jack, very little difference in screens, etc. I think the best thing to do know is wait 3 years between upgrading and when you do get a $400 phone that has the same specs as a 6 month old $1,000 phone.

I did fail to mention that her 8+ does have wireless charging, which she really likes. I told her about 5 years ago that I really liked it on my 2013 Nexus 5....

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Use what you want, but you may want to consider dogfooding on android for awhile given the rampant browser redirects on android.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
yes, 6 and up can get a replacement battery for $29..regular price is $79.

Bummer, I have a 5 that my brother gave me. I just got one of those battery cases off of ebay. $11 and now I have twice as much battery as the original. Kinda bulky, but I can live with it a year or so more.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have no issues with my 6+. Wife has the model, but with all the apps she uses her power drops down all them time and now were battery is acting weird. I use mine for work but only have to charge it once every day. She is charging hers at least twice a day.