ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Hey guys -

I am due for a phone upgrade. Currently with the 6S. It's through US Cellular so I'm not really buying a new phone. The difference between the X and 8 Plus for me would only be a couple of bucks a month. I'm leaning towards the X but wondered if any of you have had any experiences that should sway me in one way or another?

(Also please spare the sarcastic Android comments. My entire work life is build on Apple products so it'd be a major pain to make the switch right now)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hey guys -

I am due for a phone upgrade. Currently with the 6S. It's through US Cellular so I'm not really buying a new phone. The difference between the X and 8 Plus for me would only be a couple of bucks a month. I'm leaning towards the X but wondered if any of you have had any experiences that should sway me in one way or another?

(Also please spare the sarcastic Android comments. My entire work life is build on Apple products so it'd be a major pain to make the switch right now)

I just switched to a regular 8, had androids before, but you asked not to go there. Advice I would give, if you are happy with your phone, see if they will lower your price if you keep your same phone. I buy my phones and get a reduced rate on phones, if they go over 2 years I'm ahead.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Hey guys -

Thus is the Apple way: get sucked in so far that you can't get out. ;)

Seriously though, I assume in your line of work that you often depend on your phone for work purposes as well as casual ones. My philosophy is that if you depend heavily on it in life, throw more money at it. I think you'd do fine with either, but would be happier with the X than an 8+. If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right the first time and get the best and newest -- you'll get your mileage out of it. The cost difference doesn't sound like a deal-breaker for you, so I don't really see any reason not to (unless you really, really like the 8+ size/form factor. That's about the only compelling reason for it).

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Thus is the Apple way: get sucked in so far that you can't get out. ;)

Seriously though, I assume in your line of work that you often depend on your phone for work purposes as well as casual ones. My philosophy is that if you depend heavily on it in life, throw more money at it. I think you'd do fine with either, but would be happier with the X than an 8+. If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right the first time and get the best and newest -- you'll get your mileage out of it. The cost difference doesn't sound like a deal-breaker for you, so I don't really see any reason not to (unless you really, really like the 8+ size/form factor. That's about the only compelling reason for it).

Yeah this is exactly what I'm thinking. Thank you.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
iPhone X. Screen is better. Really liking the wireless charging. Blinded not being tethered or dealing with old charging cables

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am praying my 6+ lasts forever. I like my headphone jack.

8s don't have them?. Only had it a few weeks. So stinking clumsy compared to what I'm used to (I am currently on an iPad so I have a familiarity with apple) I am still learning things

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
No home button would irritate me on the X.

The 8's home button is really not a home button either though. While there is a physical circle you find out pretty quickly that it's not really a tactile button like those phones of the past. It's simply a pressure-sensitive space defined by an outline. So the only difference between the 8 and X is that you can see the circle on the 8 even though they work exactly the same.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I got the 8 Plus when it came out.
Couple things to consider:

8 Plus also has wireless charging (saw someone say that was a benefit to the X).

How good are you at learning new technology? Since there's no home button, you'll have to "learn" how to navigate the phone. Probably not a big deal but maybe something to consider.
https://lifehacker.com/the-iphone-x-gestures-you-should-master-1821395834

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I have an iPhone X, my previous phone was 6s Plus. The size took a bit to get used to, but I am happy with the X. Now on to some observations from having for almost 2 months.

It will take you about week to totally get used to the no home button, but after that you will pick up someone else older iPhone and forget how to use a home button.

The camera is better on the X.

Your daughter will love the animated emoji. You will also be able to send out animated poop emoji, this is an underrated feature.

I have seen some people claim that the finger print reader on the 8 is quicker than face id, and maybe it is, but face ID works really well.

The screen is way better than the 6s Plus was. I am presuming it is also better than an 8.

The battery life is very good.

I really don't have anything negative to say about the phone. It is the evolution of the iPhone, so while there are significant differences, it still feels like an iPhone, still functions like an iPhone. I feel the while the 8 is better than what you currently have, there isn't anything fundamentally different about it other than wireless charging.

I recommend you get the latest and greatest.

• Agree
Reactions: DeftOne