Talen Horton-Tucker next year

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The loss to Hampton and the loss to UAB both affected the creditability of the program in the short term. On a national level it made people think that maybe Iowa State was not that good or was over rated. The Hampton loss is still shown on graphics during the tourney as one of the biggest upsets of all time. To say an early season loss to Milwaukee at home with basically all new guys is on that same level is dumb.

No, they didn't. Those losses happen to every program without causing that effect. You're reaching on that one.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I will take the feeling after the losses to Hampton and UAB to my grave. I'll barely remember Milwaukee in a couple years.

I was in boot camp for the Hampton loss so I didn't get to watch the game but my drill instructor brought in a newspaper and let us check out the bracket and when I saw that we had lost I wanted to puke.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think you guys are mistaking the difference between a worse basketball loss and a worse emotional loss. Milwaukee was a worse basketball loss but the other two were worse emotionally for everyone.
That ISU team losing to a 19-15 UAB team in March was a worse emotional loss AND basketball loss. That team had 5 guys that have now played in the NBA.

This is all in the context of losses as a metric of coaching acumen. One game doesn’t tell much either way, but since you initiated this as the measurement, please explain how the Milwaukee game is even in the same conversation as the UAB disaster? It’s like saying failing the first homework assignment is more indicative than failing the course final.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ComCY

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
So, my dad is a referee in the Chicagoland area and was refereeing this past week at a holiday tournament when he overheard some other refs talking about the Simeon basketball team. One of the guys was talking about THT and was absolutely raving about him. Said he is the best player that he has seen come out of Chicago Public Schools since Derrick Rose and he has been officiating CPS games since Kevin Garnett played at Farragut. So, thats kind of fun to hear.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
So, my dad is a referee in the Chicagoland area and was refereeing this past week at a holiday tournament when he overheard some other refs talking about the Simeon basketball team. One of the guys was talking about THT and was absolutely raving about him. Said he is the best player that he has seen come out of Chicago Public Schools since Derrick Rose and he has been officiating CPS games since Kevin Garnett played at Farragut. So, thats kind of fun to hear.
Kudos for attempting to get thread back on topic; good info as well

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
The loss to Hampton and the loss to UAB both affected the creditability of the program in the short term. On a national level it made people think that maybe Iowa State was not that good or was over rated. The Hampton loss is still shown on graphics during the tourney as one of the biggest upsets of all time. To say an early season loss to Milwaukee at home with basically all new guys is on that same level is dumb.

Milwaukee loss is on the same level as Drake loss in 99-00

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
As long as THT is as good as the freshman at Oklahoma this year, we’ll be ok.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclad

Help Support Us

Become a patron