Friday OT 2 - Don't tick me off, Art

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Holidays have always been weird for me because my dad was very anti-joyful around them. So growing up always felt like walking on eggshells around Christmas. His family was a bunch of ******** which contributed to that. So stuff on my side now tends to pretty low-key and just a few, select people in attendance. Which is fine by me.

My husband's side tends to be more....you still do stuff with family even if they have been terrible to you. Tradition is tradition. So, more events, more people, lots of gift-giving and just.....different for me. We finally got the adult sibling gifts stopped a few years ago after it became a game of here's my list, get something from it and we'll exchange it. I was finally like how about we just give for the kids. We're all well-off adults and it's always a PITA trying to get ideas out of people. That was a win and makes it so much easier.

MIL doesn't get how my side can have people we don't have a relationship with anymore so I'll usually get a few comments about "what is X person doing these days" to try and poke the bear, so to speak. That gets annoying. And the giving of gifts that they want to give us and not what we asked for. We really enjoyed a couple years ago after being told not to get us a specific household item, they got it anyway, could tell we were less than thrilled and then - no joke - for the next three months, every phone call they asked if we'd used it yet and kept repeating how much they liked theirs and we'd like it too if we just tried it.
The hints about when we are going to have kids have become less subtle over the years as well.
Sounds like our family when it was just too much work. Holiday should be relaxing and enjoying, and its just so frustrating when that isn't happening.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
lol, that just pisses me off. I hate when people do that and then spend 20 minutes arguing with you over why you SHOULD like it and completely disregard your own reasoning. I hate that.

I would just tell them that I told you not to get that and promptly give it to Goodwill/Salvation Army.

This thread is also making me appreciate my own family and in-laws much more.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Do you have a FIL/is she a widow?

She's a widow. He passed like 15 years ago or something like that, so I never met him. From the stories I've heard, I think we'd have gotten along OK.

In all honesty, I don't begrudge her coming to visit my wife - she's 75 (my wife was a surprise), and has lost her husband and one of her sons (and likely will outlive one of her daughters, but that's another story).

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and JP4CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
THe first 3-4 years we were married I had to spend the whole week of vacation that I got at my SILs house in PHX with all the in laws, it blew. They had done all the touristy things and nobody would do them again. So my time off consisted of 10 days of sitting in a packed house staring at each other.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Worst for me is having to pretend I like my BIL. He's a lying, philandering POS. (He spent 3 1/2 years in a Federal prison for stealing $650,000 from his customers (he used to be a financial advisor - now THERE's a laugh!) and my sister had to file bankruptcy, sell her house and car, etc. I don't trust him one bit. He has alienated my sister from the rest of us, I'm sure to keep us from finding out what kind of crap he's up to now. I just don't like being hypocritical and pretending to like him.

Reactions: wxman1

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Naw, return it and get the cash.

DH did ask about the gift receipt right away which I think annoyed them, lol. I did want to return it and we never did. So I've ended up using it a couple times and I hate it. So it'll be getting donated/sold and we'll find something we like better.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
DH did ask about the gift receipt right away which I think annoyed them, lol. I did want to return it and we never did. So I've ended up using it a couple times and I hate it. So it'll be getting donated/sold and we'll find something we like better.
You can return without a receipt, you just get the lowest possible price.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Worst for me is having to pretend I like my BIL. He's a lying, philandering POS. (He spent 3 1/2 years in a Federal prison for stealing $650,000 from his customers (he used to be a financial advisor - now THERE's a laugh!) and my sister had to file bankruptcy, sell her house and car, etc. I don't trust him one bit. He has alienated my sister from the rest of us, I'm sure to keep us from finding out what kind of crap he's up to now. I just don't like being hypocritical and pretending to like him.
Whoa. I think your sister might want to consider divorce. Yikes.

I presume this dude's a hawk fan too?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Whoa. I think your sister might want to consider divorce. Yikes.

I presume this dude's a hawk fan too?

She was t-h-i-s close to divorcing him when he was in prison, and he talked her out of it. He is one slick SOB. And yeah, you're right, he's a hok fan. Figures.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

What was it?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron