Most random encounter with ISU athlete?

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
Royce White at Jordan Creek Mall. At Spenser's store. I think it was the year he had to sit out. Royce was extremely nice. No I was not on mall cop duty ;)

Reactions: brianhos

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I have to have the most random encounter with a former ISU player ever. I ran into former Iowa State RB Mike Williams at the Gruis Recreational Area in Winnebago County in Iowa back in the 70s.

For those of you who don't remember, Williams was one of the Ws in Iowa State's WW Express backfield, the other being Jim Wingender.

I don't know where Williams was from originally, but I know it wasn't lily white Winnebago County in far northern Iowa. And Gruis is about as remote a place as you can find to run into someone semi-famous. It's out in the country. They made the golf course after some farmer donated his farm to the county in his will. The old barn was turned into the clubhouse. It's not near any town, really.

I recognized Williams right away and introduced myself. I don't know how I recognized him because that was back in the days when not a lot of games were on TV so there was not a lot of opportunity to know what the players looked like, especially in football, where helmets make recognition even tougher. He said he was there for some promotional deal, but I was unclear what he was promoting.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
I was purchasing food from the philly stand on Welch several years ago with my girlfriend at the time when there was some commotion in our general vicinity and I watched a guy run in and sucker punch another. The initial melee broke towards us and I grabbed the gf and moved her out of harm’s way. I then turned to the scuffle, the sucker puncher took off and I grabbed the guy who was punched as he was about to chase after the attacker. It was BDJ and I just said quickly “it’s not worth it”. He kinda shrugged me off but did not continue the chase. I think he might have only listened because he had not yet played a game here and recognized that I knew who he was (called him by name when I saw who it was) and why I thought it wasn’t worth it. We returned to purchasing our food and as we walked back toward Lincoln Way, I saw Jameel hastily making his way toward where we left Bryce. Somewhat ironic, I suppose. RIP.

Last edited:

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
During the tailgate tour in Okoboji my son just walked on the bus to get Fred's autograph as he got on the bus as soon as he gor done speaking. Believe he was talking to a recruit on the phone. Fred was impressed as my son was I think 6 or 7 at that time.
Also run into Loren Myer often. Pizza Ranch a couple weeks ago and he used to be at Bullys in Ruthven quiet often.

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
I graduated from ISU in 86 and bounced around eastern Iowa and Missouri for about 10 years before moving back to central Iowa. Wife drug me to Von Maur in Valley West Mall one of the first weekends we were back. During this soul crushing outing I noticed another guy nearby who seemed to be experiencing a similar outing. He smiled, gave me a knowing look then we both moved along with our wives a short time later. He was a familiar face but because of where I was I didn’t make the connection until a short time later. To this day I’m still upset I didn’t realize it was Pete Taylor. Missed opportunity to meet and chat with a legend.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not an ISU big name but it happened at ISU:

I had a lecture in the big lecture hall in Curtiss Hall so I used to go in through the back stairwell in the southeast corner to avoid all of the traffic. One day I walked through the parking lot and opened the door to be greeted by several black suited Secret Service agents. I thought I was going to get tackled. I had managed to run into presidential candidate and sitting VPOTUS George H. W. Bush as he was leaving the building. We exchanged quick hellos as they whisked him away.

That was the start of my streak of meeting or at least being in the same room with each U.S. President. I have yet to extend that streak with our current POTUS.

• Winner
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Backed my car into Clint Varley’s (reserve for ISU basketball in early 2000’s) car in the parking lot of Kum & Go on Welch and he and Jamaal Tinsley got out out and we talked everything through.

Lol

Tinsley backed out into a friend’s car at Target. Team must have been good for the body shops in town.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Seneca Wallace at the Mall of America in Minneapolis when the Seahawks were in town to play the Vikings. We were in town to go to the game and ran into him at a sports store.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
About 8 years ago or so my wife and I were at the Highlife Lounge and I'm up at the bar trying to snag a couple of Grainbelts when this big in wearing a blazer squeezes his way up to the bar. I look over and Howard Eaton is towering over me. So I fire him a "Howard Eaton! Whats up!" He just looks at me and goes sup baby and that's pretty much the end of our conversation. I wanted to tell him that the blazer t-shirt combo was bad on it's own but electing to wear his chain on the outside of his shirt may have been a little too much.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Ran into RJ Sumrall at the KC Zoo when we were in town for the tourney a couple years ago. Very nice guy.

He used to work at one of the jewelers in the Merle Hay Mall. Not long after his playing days, I was looking for a necklace for my wife, and he was there. Didn't help me, but was with another customer.

This has been a long time ago and makes me feel old :(

MSPClone210

Jul 8, 2013
Minneapolis
Not random, but this was comical...

Back for a basketball game a couple years ago. Leave the game and immediately head to welch, first stop AJ's for some beers. When we walk in, Nader and BDJ are standing at the counter rippin shots with the owner. (Still dont know how they beat us there) As we walk in, they give us the deer in the headlights look...awkward silence...and then we all started laughed together and had a shot. Buddy of mine asked for a photo after, and BDJ was like for sure....lets maybe move away from the bottle on the counter tho? Good call boys.

RIP BDJ

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 146
L

LincolnWay187

Not that random but I met Tim dobbins of the chargers/dolphins on Welch ave once. The dude has the neck and traps of a comic book superhero..Just insane

Reactions: LindenCy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Took a flight out of DSM on Sunday after the TCU game. I sit next to an older couple. He sees my ISU gear and says something about "they honored me and my guys at the game yesterday." Then, the light bulb goes on. It is Johnny Majors. So, we talk ISU football for a while. And then he starts griping (football coach voice) about there not being a Sports section in the newspaper from the hotel. I tell him I have an online subscription, so he reads the Register Sports section on my laptop, grunting and pointing when he wants me to scroll up or down. But he keeps griping (football coach voice) about not having the Sports section to take with him. I end up sending him the whole weekend's worth of Ames Tribunes and DM Registers. It was an awesome privilege.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
A buddy and I are stumbling into the dorms our freshman year late at night. Go through the bottom floor doors to get an elevator. Standing in the lobby is a girl that went to high school with my buddy and my (now) wife. We ask "What are you doing down here so late?" She replies "I'm waiting to let someone in." We don't think much of it and click the elevator button. Someone knocks on the door... Craig Brackins...

Most awkward elevator ride ever.

Reactions: Farnsworth