Most random encounter with ISU athlete?

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
This pic was just re-tweeted into my Twitter feed and one name in particular popped out. What's the most random place or setting you've seen the name of or ran into an ISU athlete, past or present? Or any ISU "big name" like the President or one of those professors everyone just seemed to know.

(and despite the nature of the tweet, please don't discuss the politics of this so we can keep this out of The Cave so everyone can enjoy)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Was in Chicago for a bachelor party. We made our way into Sluggers and were drinking and playing games. Did the free throw game against several others and look to my left and it’s Jared Homan. Looked at his and then my score (which was higher) and said c’mon man are you serious? He did get a good laugh out of it.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
My daughter was playing soccer in our tailgate area. Look over and these to tiny little guys were playing with her and her friend. Walked over and had to explain that these two guys were Troy and Darren and we legends at Iowa State. Then they all kept playing soccer

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Son was playing some dumb video game in one of the Campustown bars. Someone comes up behind him and says, “You really suck at this game.” Naz

Same son went to church at STA his first weekend on campus and had the Hoiberg Family sit next to him so he got the old peace be with you from the Mayor. Ironically when we went to visit my sister in Chicago once when he played for the Bulls we also sat behind the Hoibergs at church.

Same son also his first weekend on campus goes to Panera and hears a booming voice behind him and it’s Simon Estes. When Estes sings at his commencement he notes that he saw him for both his first and last weekends as a student.

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
I was at a wedding reception at a West Des Moines Hotel. A former Cyclone quarterback walked by and sat down in the bar area. I approached him, thanked him for being a great cyclone and Seneca let me get a pic with him. He was in town for one of his clinics.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Not me but my daughter. Not sure how random since it was on campus, but she is not a sports fan at all. Anyway, her freshman year I think, she was walking and wasn't paying attention by Oak-Elm. Stepped off the sidewalk and takes a tumble. Tall guy comes over and tries to help her up, super nice, but she is mortally embarrassed and freshman awkward and can barely look at him. "No I'm fine, thanks, I'm fine" and kind of hustles off, a bit rude almost but just so embarrassed.

Later as she's telling me the story, she says she thinks it was a basketball player, because he was so tall. But no idea who. She looks up the team online, and says "oh it was this guy, he was really nice, and I was so awkward".

Georges.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My daughter was playing soccer in our tailgate area. Look over and these to tiny little guys were playing with her and her friend. Walked over and had to explain that these two guys were Troy and Darren and we legends at Iowa State. Then they all kept playing soccer

Remember this being posted before and thinking it was really cool.

Reactions: Knownothing

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
NWB goes to the same barbershop that I do in Des Moines. I've seen him in there a couple times. Doesn't look 6'5 in person.

Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
More of a 2nd degree, but when I was substitute teaching several years ago at lunch one day I was shooting baskets for something to do and another guy that was there grew up with Justice Thigpen...I'm not sure how we got on the subject but we had a fun conversation about Orr, ISU, etc. Dude was probably 6'5 and had played at some small school.

He was money from everywhere and had one of the purest shots I could remember...was a real strong indication of just how smooth even a player at that level was.

Also ran into Wayne Morgan and the team in DIA a day after they played in Boulder...I think 2004?

My older brother hung out with Tinsley and Horton in a bar once in 2001. Said Horton was really cool...Tinsley was standoffish.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
A while back, I was standing in the shade outside the east concourse just before an extremely hot football game. Young man, kinda tall (of course, at 5'1", EVERYone is kinda tall to me) came over to my patch of shade. We started chatting about the heat and our chances in the game. After a few minutes he said "Oh, here come my teammates". Stupid me, I said "oh, are you a student athelete?" to which he responded "yes, ma'am...I'm Damien Staples".
OY! :oops:
In my defense, we sit up in the rafters at Hilton...ALL the players look to be about 2 inches tall to me... :p

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hiking in RMNP with the family and we all had ISU gear on. Guy stops to chat and talks about what a great school it is, asked when we attended. Then said his son went to ISU about that same time and that he was "on the football team." I asked who it was, ready to rack my brain remembering a 3rd string TE, and he said "Sage Rosenfels."

cyjack5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2017
Pulled up to a gas pump at kum n go in Ames, and about 10 seconds later Hoiberg pulls up next to me. This was maybe 2 years before he became head coach, and we had a nice 2 minute discussion of the state of cyclone basketball.

Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron