$75 million football/athletics facility

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
Essentially the facility will be a $75MM work around, if the Jacobson remains. If razing the Jake means it will cost an additional $5MM, then spend the additional money and do it right. Based on the mock rendering above, this design could make the secondary logo disaster appear like a pimple on the landscape. I'm tired of the half measures the athletic department takes with long term thinking, where everything appears to be a stop gap measure (Example: Jumbotron over Jake, BBall facility on edge of town, Johnnies taking over concourse, secondary logo, etc) This facility needs to stand the test of time, constructed of stone and brick, not precast concrete panels etc. I'm holding out hope, but if history serves as an indicator, we will be disappointed.

i think the AD has done a great job with long term thinking and getting the most for the dollars they spend. Others have pointed out the impact of the basketball facility on the west side of town and players living out there and the financial benefits that were part of the deal.

For football, JP has done a lot of improvements with a long term vision. it started with the indoor facility then moving the concessions out to create larger walkways and improved bathrooms for fan experience(though the west side could be moved out futher due to the suites). Then you have the scoreboard to improve fan experience followed by the expansion to the Berg with the football complex to improve student athlete experience. The SEZ tied all of this together showing they long term planning.

It's also worth mentioning what they've done with the sports complex that features the softball and soccer fields along with the cross country course for the non revenue sports.

The days of stop gap measures have been gone for well over a decade and though stone and brick are nice, the exposed concrete fits the architecture of the ISC with Hilton and Stephens. Though it is a result of the 1970's style construction, it all compliments each other well.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I think there is a thread somewhere on Cyclone Fanatic where we had a poster argue that we should re-do the press box as a thank you to the TV networks for all the money they’ve given us.

If it gets some of the bogus calls to go our way, that would be money well spent

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I think there is a thread somewhere on Cyclone Fanatic where we had a poster argue that we should re-do the press box as a thank you to the TV networks for all the money they’ve given us.

The ESPN and Fox crews would probably appreciate a space that's at least big enough to set up all of their equipment. The current booth is a relative sardine can.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Level 1 - Private Boxes
Level 2 - Press Level
Level 3 - Broadcast Operations/Coaches/Stadium Operation

As far as private boxes, we added suites last expansion between decks. I don't believe we weren't exactly beating down the doors to fill them when added.

As far as press... I've been to a few games on press credentials. Didn't request seats in the press box... was still assigned seats in the press box. I think that tells a lot. Is it a nice, usable space on gamedays? Yeah. Could it be a bit larger for convenience and just for having space for catering or alternate seating than press rows. Yeah.

Level 3? I have no clue whether or not there's a huge need for more space. I'm sure a bit more would be appreciated.

My educated opinion knowing this, I just don't see there to be a major need for expansion of the press box. It'd be nice, sure, especially for the look of the stadium. I just don't think we're to the point where either of those outweigh the cost it would take. The reason why most other schools are expanding is for the luxury suites. When the time comes we need more, then go for it

(And the press box is air-conditioned... heated too!)

Last edited:

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Which makes them chanting SEC at the final big 12 tourney really funny

Seemed like a good idea at the time. It's a case study of how anything can be sold with enough hype backing it. The people pushing Missouri to the SEC were the contractors who saw that fat SEC Network as a way to cash in. Now they have a football stadium with luxury suites all around and 20,000 empty seats.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Level 1 - Private Boxes
Level 2 - Press Level
Level 3 - Broadcast Operations/Coaches/Stadium Operation

As far as private boxes, we added suites last expansion between decks. I don't believe we weren't exactly beating down the doors to fill them when added.

As far as press... I've been to a few games on press credentials. Didn't request seats in the press box... was still assigned seats in the press box. I think that tells a lot. Is it a nice, usable space on gamedays? Yeah. Could it be a bit larger for convenience and just for having space for catering or alternate seating than press rows. Yeah.

Level 3? I have no clue whether or not there's a huge need for more space. I'm sure a bit more would be appreciated.

My educated opinion knowing this, I just don't see there to be a major need for expansion of the press box. It'd be nice, sure, especially for the look of the stadium. I just don't think we're to the point where either of those outweigh the cost it would take. The reason why most other schools are expanding is for the luxury suites. When the time comes we need more, then go for it

(And the press box is air-conditioned... heated too!)

Level 4: A moat

MOClone

May 1, 2009
Missouri's new facility is $100 million for new coaches offices and football facility outside the South end of the stadium while adding luxury suites which will reduce stadium capacity. The potential problem with the plan is the bonds were sold predicated on increased attendance when in fact attendance for Missouri football is significantly decreased. Final 3 home games vs Utah, Florida and Tennessee averaged 49,000. With the school's bond rating already having been downgraded due to declining enrollment - several newly built dorms are sitting empty - if these bonds don't produce the anticipated revenue it could further damage the school's bond rating.

Missouri and Iowa State are programs headed in different directions.

I feel so so soooo sorry for MIZWHOO... maybe a community college in their future??? LOL

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron