$75 million football/athletics facility

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Sounds like this has been part of Campbell's vision since getting here. My guess it that it ends up being similar to Missouri and Arkansas's projects. Most likely will involve bowling in the end zone just enough to make up the hillside capacities and then added suites with outdoor / indoor seating that you see getting built across the country. Then move the existing scoreboard up on top and you have yourself a totally revamped Jack Trice.

My one and only MUST is a new pressbox but I am guessing that will not be part of this project since so much money will go into the football offices / facilities below and behind the stands.

south_endzone.1503631000.png
razorback.jpg

Missouri's new facility is $100 million for new coaches offices and football facility outside the South end of the stadium while adding luxury suites which will reduce stadium capacity. The potential problem with the plan is the bonds were sold predicated on increased attendance when in fact attendance for Missouri football is significantly decreased. Final 3 home games vs Utah, Florida and Tennessee averaged 49,000. With the school's bond rating already having been downgraded due to declining enrollment - several newly built dorms are sitting empty - if these bonds don't produce the anticipated revenue it could further damage the school's bond rating.

Missouri and Iowa State are programs headed in different directions.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Its time to put the Jake and Olsen buildings to rest. They have served us well but are outdated and out of place. If we're going to spend $75mil, lets do it right and not put together a cobbled up mess for the sake of saving two mediocre (at best) facilities. Cable tv money is not a finite good, so we need to capitalize now while we can and build a facility in the north endzone for the next 50 years.
The finite resource argument supports keeping Olsen, not tearing it down. Surely you see the contradiction in using fiscal responsibility as the reason behind building for aesthetic objectives (i.e, avoiding cobbled-up mess).

There’s room between Olsen, the stadium, and the Berg to have a football performance center/NEZ, so tearing it down would be mostly for cosmetic reasons imo. The Jake location may make it hard to work with to accomplish the objectives, depending on what they want to do with the NEZ.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The finite resource argument supports keeping Olsen, not tearing it down. Surely you see the contradiction in using fiscal responsibility as the reason behind building for aesthetic objectives (i.e, avoiding cobbled-up mess).

There’s room between Olsen, the stadium, and the Berg to have a football performance center/NEZ, so tearing it down would be mostly for cosmetic reasons imo. The Jake location may make it hard to work with to accomplish the objectives, depending on what they want to do with the NEZ.
The Olsen is certainly showing its age but since they moved the team out of there and it is primarily for visiting locker rooms, who cares. Let them get ready in an aging lackluster building. I would think the Olsen would go long before they would tear down the Jake.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Missouri's new facility is $100 million for new coaches offices and football facility outside the South end of the stadium while adding luxury suites which will reduce stadium capacity. The potential problem with the plan is the bonds were sold predicated on increased attendance when in fact attendance for Missouri football is significantly decreased. Final 3 home games vs Utah, Florida and Tennessee averaged 49,000. With the school's bond rating already having been downgraded due to declining enrollment - several newly built dorms are sitting empty - if these bonds don't produce the anticipated revenue it could further damage the school's bond rating.

It’s a shame to have such buildings sitting empty while building new suites...too bad they couldn’t have integrated the two

On a related note, if you think of many of the nice older stadiums and arenas (and ultimately successful programs) they were funded with State money. A good portion of these at one time were used by many portions of the university, sometimes even including classrooms.

We may have missed the chance for general University spending to fund success, but I’d be tempted to investigate the possibility of these previous ways of integrating the university and athletics. Given we’re typically looking for ways to creatively finance our needs, it would be great to accomplish campus buildouts that helped many University stakeholders.

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames
Needed to visualize the fit so i threw this together really quick. Putting seating on the hillside works better then i thought it would. If they renovate it enough, it might even end up pretty cool. Not as cool as starting from a clean slate, but if they did it right I wouldn't mind it. JACKTRICE1.jpg

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Needed to visualize the fit so i threw this together really quick. Putting seating on the hillside works better then i thought it would. If they renovate it enough, it might even end up pretty cool. Not as cool as starting from a clean slate, but if they did it right I wouldn't mind it. View attachment 52001

Thats pretty darn close to the plan.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Needed to visualize the fit so i threw this together really quick. Putting seating on the hillside works better then i thought it would. If they renovate it enough, it might even end up pretty cool. Not as cool as starting from a clean slate, but if they did it right I wouldn't mind it. View attachment 52001
Nice work.

Imo I don’t think they need to make it so symmetrical with the SEZ or rest of the stadium. In terms of architectural excellence JTS will never be great- I’d rather they move the NEZ seating closer to the field and at a steeper angle than the SEZ. Then again, I’m fine with hiding the Jake behind seating.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I don't know. Looks 'Shopped to me.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

That doesn't look like the old Cyclone Stadium....and that's a very good thing

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I thought i remember someone posting a podcast from Omaha with Sage on it talking about the building upgrades... pretty sure he said something about connecting the two sides. I may be wrong though
You are getting confused. Manning is the one trying to get Tennessee vacancy filled all the while barking Omaha. Don't remember Sage being part of hut, hut, but maybe so.

• Creative
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

Which makes them chanting SEC at the final big 12 tourney really funny

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
It’s a shame to have such buildings sitting empty while building new suites...too bad they couldn’t have integrated the two

On a related note, if you think of many of the nice older stadiums and arenas (and ultimately successful programs) they were funded with State money. A good portion of these at one time were used by many portions of the university, sometimes even including classrooms.

We may have missed the chance for general University spending to fund success, but I’d be tempted to investigate the possibility of these previous ways of integrating the university and athletics. Given we’re typically looking for ways to creatively finance our needs, it would be great to accomplish campus buildouts that helped many University stakeholders.

I'm more familiar with Missouri than Iowa State. In Missouri's case this is what happens when the contractor is the big donor. As soon as Missouri announced the move to the SEC a "secret donor" from KC donated a big check. Athletic department then announced a $75 million dollar stadium expansion. Guess where the contractor was from? Same with new dorms when already existing dorms are sitting empty.

Missouri already has a football training facility with indoor practice field, weight room, meeting room, coaches offices. Now they will have 2 football training facilities. Missouri has 2 basketball arenas. The old one - the Hearnes - seats 13,300. One block away is the new one. Missouri just finished a brand new softball stadium. Now they are trying to figure out what to do with the other softball stadium.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm more familiar with Missouri than Iowa State. In Missouri's case this is what happens when the contractor is the big donor. As soon as Missouri announced the move to the SEC a "secret donor" from KC donated a big check. Athletic department then announced a $75 million dollar stadium expansion. Guess where the contractor was from? Same with new dorms when already existing dorms are sitting empty.

Missouri already has a football training facility with indoor practice field, weight room, meeting room, coaches offices. Now they will have 2 football training facilities. Missouri has 2 basketball arenas. The old one - the Hearnes - seats 13,300. One block away is the new one. Missouri just finished a brand new softball stadium. Now they are trying to figure out what to do with the other softball stadium.
Maybe they’re going to field teams in both conferences?

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Essentially the facility will be a $75MM work around, if the Jacobson remains. If razing the Jake means it will cost an additional $5MM, then spend the additional money and do it right. Based on the mock rendering above, this design could make the secondary logo disaster appear like a pimple on the landscape. I'm tired of the half measures the athletic department takes with long term thinking, where everything appears to be a stop gap measure (Example: Jumbotron over Jake, BBall facility on edge of town, Johnnies taking over concourse, secondary logo, etc) This facility needs to stand the test of time, constructed of stone and brick, not precast concrete panels etc. I'm holding out hope, but if history serves as an indicator, we will be disappointed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron