$75 million football/athletics facility

Discussion in 'Football' started by crazedstatw, Nov 27, 2017.

1. agardini

agardini Active Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 17 / -0
    Hahahaha. I was thinking about posting that until I saw u did. I remember people bringing that up back then. Good times

• Like Like x 2
  2. wclarson

wclarson Active Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +473 / 22 / -0
    i think the AD has done a great job with long term thinking and getting the most for the dollars they spend. Others have pointed out the impact of the basketball facility on the west side of town and players living out there and the financial benefits that were part of the deal.

For football, JP has done a lot of improvements with a long term vision. it started with the indoor facility then moving the concessions out to create larger walkways and improved bathrooms for fan experience(though the west side could be moved out futher due to the suites). Then you have the scoreboard to improve fan experience followed by the expansion to the Berg with the football complex to improve student athlete experience. The SEZ tied all of this together showing they long term planning.

It's also worth mentioning what they've done with the sports complex that features the softball and soccer fields along with the cross country course for the non revenue sports.

The days of stop gap measures have been gone for well over a decade and though stone and brick are nice, the exposed concrete fits the architecture of the ISC with Hilton and Stephens. Though it is a result of the 1970's style construction, it all compliments each other well.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rogue52

Rogue52 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,430 / 67 / -0
    I think there is a thread somewhere on Cyclone Fanatic where we had a poster argue that we should re-do the press box as a thank you to the TV networks for all the money they’ve given us.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. TykeClone

TykeClone Burgermeister!

Oct 18, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,109 / 46 / -0
    If it gets some of the bogus calls to go our way, that would be money well spent

5. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,877 / 32 / -0
    The ESPN and Fox crews would probably appreciate a space that's at least big enough to set up all of their equipment. The current booth is a relative sardine can.

6. MNCYWX

MNCYWX Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Male
    Meteorologist
    Med City, MN
    Ratings:
    +492 / 10 / -1
    #266 MNCYWX, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Level 1 - Private Boxes
    Level 2 - Press Level
    Level 3 - Broadcast Operations/Coaches/Stadium Operation

As far as private boxes, we added suites last expansion between decks. I don't believe we weren't exactly beating down the doors to fill them when added.

As far as press... I've been to a few games on press credentials. Didn't request seats in the press box... was still assigned seats in the press box. I think that tells a lot. Is it a nice, usable space on gamedays? Yeah. Could it be a bit larger for convenience and just for having space for catering or alternate seating than press rows. Yeah.

Level 3? I have no clue whether or not there's a huge need for more space. I'm sure a bit more would be appreciated.

My educated opinion knowing this, I just don't see there to be a major need for expansion of the press box. It'd be nice, sure, especially for the look of the stadium. I just don't think we're to the point where either of those outweigh the cost it would take. The reason why most other schools are expanding is for the luxury suites. When the time comes we need more, then go for it

(And the press box is air-conditioned... heated too!)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Newell

Newell Active Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Ratings:
    +284 / 89 / -0
    Seemed like a good idea at the time. It's a case study of how anything can be sold with enough hype backing it. The people pushing Missouri to the SEC were the contractors who saw that fat SEC Network as a way to cash in. Now they have a football stadium with luxury suites all around and 20,000 empty seats.

8. ISUcyclones11

ISUcyclones11 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +180 / 1 / -0
    Level 4: A moat

9. MOClone

MOClone Member

May 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +19 / 4 / -0
    I feel so so soooo sorry for MIZWHOO... maybe a community college in their future??? LOL

10. dunar

dunar Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Male
    Sr. Web Developer
    West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +305 / 3 / -0
    IMG_4859.JPG

I couldn't believe it when I saw it, had to capture it for all time! To Bill Brasky!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Ratings:
    +13,068 / 446 / -0
    Oh yeah, I've seen it several times here in the DSM Metro.

12. RedDog

RedDog Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Ratings:
    +4,256 / 64 / -1
    I imagine him being single, pulling up to the apartment of someone he has a blind date with.

13. dunar

dunar Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Male
    Sr. Web Developer
    West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +305 / 3 / -0
    I've always said it's what you get in IA City, a "HAWKSTD"