Oh Pizza Hut

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I haven't been to a Pizza Hut in like 5 years. I used to be a sucker for their stuff crust, especially when they came out with the new sauce and crust options, but I obviously fell off that wagon.

I haven't honestly had (and by had I mean made the purchase, not work) any chain pizza in probably just as long. unless you count Papa Murphys.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I think Domino's is better than PH by a long way, but it's just "basic" pizza. The local Mom and Pop pizza places generally rule all.
Seems many small college towns have good pizza places still. Pagliai's was the go to place in Grinnell. Mabe's Pizza in Decorah (but slipping). Happy Joe's is in Decorah too and Breadeaux's seems like a safe place for average Pizza.

One problem is getting good quality ingredients at a reasonable cost. Much of the Pepperoni makes me queasy, for starters.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Really? I feel like Domino's has advanced light years ahead of where it was. I worked at one when I was 18 (and hated it). They were only "good" after the pizza had time to sit and congeal. Today, I won't say they aren't greasy, but nowhere near as bad as Pizza Hut. Their crust has improved greatly over what it used to be, also.

Domino's is the opposite of Pizza Hut for me. The pan is good, but the regular crust doesn't hold up well.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Home Team Pizza. Never forget.
This.

You could literally create a coupon on the fly when you ordered, and they didn't even bat an eye.

"HomeTeam Pizza, what can I get you?"
"Yeah, I've got a coupon for 3 single topping pizzas for $5"
"Each?"
"No, total."
"Ok, what else?"
"And also I get breadsticks for a dollar."
"It says that on the coupon?"
"Yeah"
"Ok, anything else?"
"Yeah, in the fine print it says that I get a free two liter of soda if you can't tell me the capital of Turkmenistan."
"Ummm... Balkanabat?"
"No, I'm sorry it's Ashgabat. Sierra Mist, please."
"Ok, well your total is 6 dollars. Make sure to give the coupon to the delivery driver."
"Aww, dang! It's an online coupon, and I don't have a printer!"
"Ok, don't worry about it. It should be there in 30 minutes."

-barely an exaggeration.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We used to always say that with Domino's pizza you were better off throwing away the pizza and eating the box. The wife has had Domino's at work a few times and she says it isn't any better despite what their ads are trying to tell everyone.

bite your tongue witch

I love Domino's

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This.

You could literally create a coupon on the fly when you ordered, and they didn't even bat an eye.

"Each?"
"No, total."
"Ok, what else?"
"Yeah"
"Ok, anything else?"
"Yeah, in the fine print it says that I get a two liter of soda if you can't tell me the capital of Turkmenistan."
"Ummm... Balkanabat?"
"Ok, well your total is 6 dollars. Make sure to give the coupon to the delivery driver."

-barely an exaggeration.

Haha this is so true and not an exaggeration at all because they had coupons in so many publications and it was always those whole sheet pages. We'd order Gumpy's like this all the time too. We'd see how much cash we had on hand to spend collectively and then just make a menu up based on what i wanted. Driver doesn't care if you have it. Large pizza, jumbo pokey sticks and 12 pepperoni rolls for 10 bucks, why not!

Maybe there is a reason they are both out of business.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Pizza Hut pizza is gross. It's so greasy.

If you think Pizza Hut is greasy, you've never had a true New York style pizza from a "mom and pop" pizza joint in New York, which is essentially grease pie. The difference is the sauce and crust actually taste good in one of those pizzas, whereas Pizza Hut only wishes their pizza tastes good. I refuse to order it on my own, and about the only time I will eat it is when my wife's brother orders it.

• Dislike
Reactions: Nozick and Stewo

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This.

"Each?"
"No, total."
"Ok, what else?"
"Yeah"
"Ok, anything else?"
"Yeah, in the fine print it says that I get a free two liter of soda if you can't tell me the capital of Turkmenistan."
"Ummm... Balkanabat?"

-barely an exaggeration.

You could pretty much do this same thing with Gumbys. We always ended up with the monster Pokey Sticks for free.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Always liked Pizza Hut the most of the big chains, although Papa Murphy's has moved ahead of that. I never liked Papa John's or Domino's and I miss Home Team that was mentioned above.

I was never a big fan of Little Caesar's, but their deep dish is actually pretty good.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Haha this is so true and not an exaggeration at all because they had coupons in so many publications and it was always those whole sheet pages. We'd order Gumpy's like this all the time too. We'd see how much cash we had on hand to spend collectively and then just make a menu up based on what i wanted. Driver doesn't care if you have it. Large pizza, jumbo pokey sticks and 12 pepperoni rolls for 10 bucks, why not!

Maybe there is a reason they are both out of business.

Man I made some of those Pokey Sticks back in the day. My favorite was obviously when we had an order of sticks return and we'd get to eat them all. Manager was a **** though.

Reactions: Farnsworth

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Loved gumbys in general but the pokey stix will always hold a special place in my heart. No matter how tanked I was, those ******* always brought me back for a rally. The fact that you could feed a small to average size house party with them for less than $10 was pretty awesome too.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Home Team Pizza. Never forget.
This size pizza for less than $5
mqdefault.jpg