*** Official Emporia St. Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've said it about a thousand times but this team should not be attempting more than 15 3's a game and at least 10 of those should come from DJ. Donovan is going to shoot between 45-50% this year but outside of him there is not a single player that will touch 35% from 3 outside of perhaps Lewis (he might push 40%). This team must drive the ball and get out in transition. 9 assists on 25 FG is not acceptable.

This team will grow but people need to check the expectations of NCAA Tournament and 9-7 in the league at the door.

You're not even expecting them to play a full conference season!?!?!?

I hope CSP lets the team know they need better shooting.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Had to go look it up but this team just lost to Kansas State 77-44. This team looks to be a little offensively challenged. The new transfers / big guys didn't exactly light things on fire.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I got to the see the 2nd half. A few observations, from what you can take away from an exhibition:

* Long was playing vs. a DII team so a grain of salt here, but he looked good slashing and hit a nice spot-up 3 from the corner. I noticed some defensive mistakes and we will not want him on a Big12 4. He didn't hurt his chances at more playing time tonight.

* Front-court speed with DJ, NWB and Wiggington will be decent.

* It seemed that the most effective offense in the 2nd half was NWB at the point of a spread formation, with shooters/slashers on each wing. Hard to say how that will translate vs. tougher comp.

* Prohm had Beverly and Young out for a long time in the second half, presumably seeing what a small-ball lineup would look like with Talley at the 5 (in this case, there was DJ, Wiggington, NWB and Long).

* Talley looked fluid and with good springs. I guess he didn't shoot very well but I can see him making a solid contribution this year.

* This "game" may have looked very different with Lewis' shooting and Lard's rim protection.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
You're not even expecting them to play a full conference season!?!?!?

I hope CSP lets the team know they need better shooting.

It is more about settling for 3's when you are a career 30% 3 point shooter versus passing that shot up to get something going to the basket.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Which is probably something they'll figure out or look into since it's November 5.

I'm not mad out it at all. I like CSP and I believe 18-19 can be a special year but the thought that this team has lots of talent and can finish in the top 5 of the Big 12. I don't see it.