*** Official Emporia St. Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Final
Iowa State Cyclones - 77
Emporia State - 68

My first impressions: Very ugly game, but it was an exhibition so that explains the subdued Hilton atmosphere. On top of the many mistakes being made on the court, game seemed uninspired.

Missed many shots and team work seemed lacking. Will improve hopefully. Mixed reactions with Lindell, very explosive, but raw. He had a lot of steals.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wiggs (will he be called Wiggs?) is quick off the first dribble.

Looks more comfortable out there than I'd expect from a freshman.

jmkc12

Apr 27, 2017
Was hoping for a 15-20 point win tonight but didn't quite get that. One thing that I really like about Wigginton is his vertical...he skied on a few rebound opportunities where even though he may not have ended with the ball he either tipped it to our guy or altered the opposing player enough to allow us to get the board

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I’m assuming with Cameron lard and Lewis back a lot of those line ups won’t be the norm. Was pretty ugly at times they just need more game time together.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
reaction from the radio feed: lots of guys shooting 3s, DJ making them. Probably an off night for some of these guys, as some took and missed several. Just assuming Prohm would yank a poor shooter that jacked up 3-4 3 pointers.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Probably lots of good film for CSP to dissect and coach with.

Friday will be an interesting game...it's not like Mizzou was ever a friendly place for ISU.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I couldn't tell from all the negativity here. Sounds like a win unless something goes Way bad. We have had worse results in an exhibition game.

Exactly. It was a game that doesn't count against a bad opponent.
That's not the level of effort we'll see from our guys as the season goes on, and not the level of performance they'll display.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pretty ragged for the most part. I think if we had spread the floor all game, we win by 30+, but that’s not really the point of this. Going to live at the free throw line, so we’ll want to up the %. Need to shoot no more than 15 threes, unless they’re coming from the right guys.

DJ- pretty much just asserted himself when we needed it, but was nails when he did.

Wigginton- nice first game. Great anticipation. A little loose with the ball, but clearly extremely talented.

Wailer-Babb- did a bit of everything. Very nice game. He may not ever go for 20+, but I bet he’ll flirt with double doubles quite often.

Beverly- junk yard dog, get in and mix it up guy, does whatever we need

Young- kind of quiet with the foul trouble (and trying to keep out of it)

Talley- showed some bursts of what he can do. I think he’ll be a handful when we spread it out.

Long- very strong and aggressive. Good decisive first step. Very good second half for that young man

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
reaction from the radio feed: lots of guys shooting 3s, DJ making them. Probably an off night for some of these guys, as some took and missed several. Just assuming Prohm would yank a poor shooter that jacked up 3-4 3 pointers.

I've said it about a thousand times but this team should not be attempting more than 15 3's a game and at least 10 of those should come from DJ. Donovan is going to shoot between 45-50% this year but outside of him there is not a single player that will touch 35% from 3 outside of perhaps Lewis (he might push 40%). This team must drive the ball and get out in transition. 9 assists on 25 FG is not acceptable.

This team will grow but people need to check the expectations of NCAA Tournament and 9-9 in the league at the door.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I think as the guys in the program the longest and being a Sr and a Jr, this years team will lean heavily on the duo of Jackson and Babb.