saturday FB report

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I disagree completely. I think his post can only help to bolster Gridiron membership and add benefit to the FB program overall.

Nothing he 'shared' is in any way going to impact the FB program.

Do members get a membership card? We're watching the Cubs game, and I guess Cub Club members get several benefits, including a membership card. That's the only one they mentioned. So, do Gridiron Club members get a card? That's the good stuff!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Do members get a membership card? We're watching the Cubs game, and I guess Cub Club members get several benefits, including a membership card. That's the only one they mentioned. So, do Gridiron Club members get a card? That's the good stuff!

So a membership card will put you over the top? No offense but that's weird. The Gridiron Club is not about membership cards.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Don't steal home without it.

willie-mays-hayes.jpg

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
...We may all be saying he’s another guy that got pigeon-holed by Mac...

Completely disagree! He didn't deserve reps when he put the ball on the turf as many times as he did in the few touches he got.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
That 29 yard AA to Messiah across the middle strike might have been the hardest pass I have ever seen at ISU, almost John Elway hard. The ball popped through Messiahs hands, hit him in the chest and made a thud. AA wound up cat quick and threw it as hard as he could.

That being said, I don't know who the coaches will start in 10 days. I do know the freshman Jerome Tiller is an exciting guy to watch too!

Last edited:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Jason Harris

Completely disagree! He didn't deserve reps when he put the ball on the turf as many times as he did in the few touches he got.

I didn't remember it being that bad so I looked through the 2005 box scores. Jason Harris carried the ball in only 3 games.

- In his debut against Baylor, he had 5 attempts for 25 yards and no fumbles.
- Against Mizzou, he had 2 attempts for -4 yards and 1 fumble
- Against OSU, he had 4 attempts for 19 yards and 1 fumble.

For his career, Harris has 11 rush attempts for 40 yards and 2 fumbles (both lost). Problem is I don't know how good he is at holding onto the ball in practice. If he practices better than the other guys, I'd give him another chance. That's a big IF though.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Re: Jason Harris

I didn't remember it being that bad so I looked through the 2005 box scores. Jason Harris carried the ball in only 3 games.

- In his debut against Baylor, he had 5 attempts for 25 yards and no fumbles.
- Against Mizzou, he had 2 attempts for -4 yards and 1 fumble
- Against OSU, he had 4 attempts for 19 yards and 1 fumble.

For his career, Harris has 11 rush attempts for 40 yards and 2 fumbles (both lost). Problem is I don't know how good he is at holding onto the ball in practice. If he practices better than the other guys, I'd give him another chance. That's a big IF though.

I'm not sure this is completely accurate (I'd like to see the line scores), unless it's just listing fumbles lost.

My memory says that Jason fumbled in a crucial situation, then when given another opportunity in a crucial situation near the goal line, he fumbled again--costing us the game. I thought there was a third fumble somewhere, and the last one was simply the last straw, for it demonstrated that even when he knew fumbling was a issue (and it was crucial that he not), he still did.

But that's just my memory...

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
You might be remembering Greg Coleman's fumble going into the end zone against Baylor. That was absolutely crucial. I think I have the replay of that game on tape somewhere, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go watch it.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
You might be remembering Greg Coleman's fumble going into the end zone against Baylor. That was absolutely crucial. I think I have the replay of that game on tape somewhere, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go watch it.

i remember greg colemans fumble against baylor. i don't think you can ever get such a horrid memory out of your head. in the long run, that probably cost us the north title, although there were way to many things of this nature that went wrong for us that year.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
i remember greg colemans fumble against baylor. i don't think you can ever get such a horrid memory out of your head. in the long run, that probably cost us the north title, although there were way to many things of this nature that went wrong for us that year.

I remember it too. Didn't the ball pop out well after the whistle was blown (or should have been blown)?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I remember it too. Didn't the ball pop out well after the whistle was blown (or should have been blown)?

yes, and the replay clearly showed the ball had broken the plane. It reminds me of the botched Flynn touchdown against Nebraska in '06. The ABC commnetators apparently agreed that replay clearly showed it was a touchdown, then the Big 12 reviews it and refuses to apologize. Of course, they apologized to Mizzou for the holding call in Mac's final game, when pictures clearly showed Tyrone McKenzie (i think) being held... Why? Why?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
yes, and the replay clearly showed the ball had broken the plane. It reminds me of the botched Flynn touchdown against Nebraska in '06. The ABC commnetators apparently agreed that replay clearly showed it was a touchdown, then the Big 12 reviews it and refuses to apologize. Of course, they apologized to Mizzou for the holding call in Mac's final game, when pictures clearly showed Tyrone McKenzie (i think) being held... Why? Why?

I can't find the pic right now, but one of our linemen was in a full-Nelson and one of their linemen had a handful of Tyrone's jersey and was pulling him back. But golly gee, the Big 12 couldn't step over themselves fast enough to apologize to Pinkie.

It was Pinkie's stupid mistake to put Chase in the shotgun in a 4th and goal at less than the one yard line. Should have been under center and pushed himself into the end zone.

I consider it payback for the 2005 game against Mizzou in Columbia where we recovered not one, but two fumbles that were BOTH blown dead before the runner was down on the final, game tying drive in regulation. BTW, we filed a complaint after that game as well but got no apology.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't find the pic right now, but one of our linemen was in a full-Nelson and one of their linemen had a handful of Tyrone's jersey and was pulling him back. But golly gee, the Big 12 couldn't step over themselves fast enough to apologize to Pinkie.

It was Pinkie's stupid mistake to put Chase in the shotgun in a 4th and goal at less than the one yard line. Should have been under center and pushed himself into the end zone.

I consider it payback for the 2005 game against Mizzou in Columbia where we recovered not one, but two fumbles that were BOTH blown dead before the runner was down on the final, game tying drive. BTW, we filed a complaint after that game as well but got no apology.

I was at that game... I remember Paris just ripping the ball away from that receiver, who was still standing, yet somehow was down. Baylor, Mizzou, and KU ALL had terrible calls that dramtically altered the way the games turned out. Couple that with Leaders dropping the game winning int in Lincoln and we were 4 plays from 11-0. Of course the next year we were 4 plays from 0-11...

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I was at that game... I remember Paris just ripping the ball away from that receiver, who was still standing, yet somehow was down. Baylor, Mizzou, and KU ALL had terrible calls that dramtically altered the way the games turned out. Couple that with Leaders dropping the game winning int in Lincoln and we were 4 plays from 11-0. Of course the next year we were 4 plays from 0-11...

2005 will forever be the lost season at ISU. An awesome, swarming defense, a potent offense, and decent special teams. 3 losses in OT that year. McCarney would still be coaching here if they had won those 3 games.

hi54st8

May 18, 2008
The problem is that the 'Third' overtime game should never have happened. Sitting in the stands at KU I couldn't beleive my eyes when we refuse to put the game away before halftime. I know we cant discuss the previous coach, but it was perhaps the most pathetic day in Cyclone history.....you can't just wish it to happen, you have to make it happen!

hi54st8

May 18, 2008
In fairness to Jason, he was thrown in mid-season due to injury. I agree, he didn't deserve to be there the rest of the season - he was a true freshman and deserved to be benched. But he has the tools and speed to have done a far better job than 'Studder-Step Stevie'!

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
This will surely stir the pot. After PB's late game catch in the Iowa game, it looked to me that we went conservative the next few plays, planning ahead of time for the field goal try. And if I remember correctly, we also went conservative at the end of Toledo game, setting up for the game ending blocked FG. Maybe the laws of probability were in our favor during these instances. Maybe Meyer wasn't considered reliable enough to make a try for the end zone.