saturday FB report

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
After PB's late game catch in the Iowa game, it looked to me that we went conservative the next few plays, planning ahead of time for the field goal try.
i agree we did do that. and its exactly what we shouldve done.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
i agree we did do that. and its exactly what we shouldve done.

I think that GC had see Shaggy make a lot of short FGs in practice and had a lot of faith in him. I also remember later in the year GC basicly said the team was done kicking FGs.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
If I remember right, Harris had a key fumble against Nebraska as well. I'm not trying to throw Harris under the bus, but he didn't deserve to get the ball after putting it on the turf like he did.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
My God. I read all of this and get incredibly excited - and just as confused. What is our starting/primary backfield going to look like? We're less than two weeks out and it could be Bates/Bass or Arnuad/Robinson - or some combination. And Tiller may yet still be in the mix. Then next year we insert Bo Williams while Bass runs out of elgibility. And the receiving corps - good grief - Carlson, Darks, Johnson, etc etc etc...

I try to dampen my optimism, but I can't. If we are even close at assessing the skills and talents of these guys, we've got some very big seasons coming up. 2008 is going to tell us an awful lot about the future of this program. YEAH BABY! I can't take much more of this preseason.

and maybe B. Wegher.....:wink:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
If I remember right, Harris had a key fumble against Nebraska as well. I'm not trying to throw Harris under the bus, but he didn't deserve to get the ball after putting it on the turf like he did.

Nope. ISU didn't lose any fumbles in that game in 2005. That was the game in which Leaders dropped what could have been a game-ending interception in OT. Hate to pick on him, but that's how I will always remember that game.

http://admin.xosn.com//pdf2/43499.pdf?SPSID=48393&SPID=4653&DB_OEM_ID=10700

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
This will surely stir the pot. After PB's late game catch in the Iowa game, it looked to me that we went conservative the next few plays, planning ahead of time for the field goal try. And if I remember correctly, we also went conservative at the end of Toledo game, setting up for the game ending blocked FG. Maybe the laws of probability were in our favor during these instances. Maybe Meyer wasn't considered reliable enough to make a try for the end zone.

There is a HUGE difference in setting up for a game winning field goal (Iowa 07) and sitting on the ball for a better part of a half when the other team is begging for you to put them out of their misery and go get a date with an unstoppable Texas team led by Vince Young (Kansas 05).

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Nope. ISU didn't lose any fumbles in that game in 2005. That was the game in which Leaders dropped what could have been a game-ending interception in OT. Hate to pick on him, but that's how I will always remember that game.

http://admin.xosn.com//pdf2/43499.pdf?SPSID=48393&SPID=4653&DB_OEM_ID=10700

I was remembering the fumble against Mizzou, which was RETURNED FOR A TD! It must have been Mizzou that Kock fumbled inside the 10 as well. I was thinking they both were Nebraska (both were LONG days for me).

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Yeah, Kock fumbled right about the 5 yard line while heading in for a TD at Mizzou in 2005.

Also, in OT, Meyer put a perfect pass into Blythe's breadbasket right at the goal line that was dropped.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Those costly fumbles by Harris, Coleman, and Koch were during YAC. We will need to watch out for that this year.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I was at the scrimmage on Saturday....and I cannot stress how impressed I was with Sedrick Johnson.

Speed to burn when he caught the short pass and turned it into a 72 yard gain.

Last edited:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I was at the scrimmage on Saturday....and I cannot stress how impressed I was with Sedrick Johnson.

Speed to burn when he caught the short pass and turned it into a 72 yard gain.

That is sooo good to hear because we're going to need playmakers. I hope Carlson can be that kind of player as well. How impressed were you with Arnaud and Bates? From what little I've seen, I think that Arnaud might be more poised when sitting back in the pocket. But then Bates can probably create some problems for the defense with his feet.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
That is sooo good to hear because we're going to need playmakers. I hope Carlson can be that kind of player as well. How impressed were you with Arnaud and Bates? From what little I've seen, I think that Arnaud might be more poised when sitting back in the pocket. But then Bates can probably create some problems for the defense with his feet.

Carlson impressed me as well Sat w/deep TD reception.

Bates/Arnaud? They are very equal. Both looked poised in the pocket. Bates did take off for yardage a few times. Both have 'live' arms.

A very difficult decision for coach when the time comes.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Carlson impressed me as well Sat w/deep TD reception.

Bates/Arnaud? They are very equal. Both looked poised in the pocket. Bates did take off for yardage a few times. Both have 'live' arms.

A very difficult decision for coach when the time comes.

Everything seems to be pointing toward both of them getting a lot of snaps this fall... so we can all see who plays the best when the game counts. That may not be the IDEAL way since they will both feel like they are under a microscope, but it is probably the only FAIR way to handle the situation.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Everything seems to be pointing toward both of them getting a lot of snaps this fall... so we can all see who plays the best when the game counts. That may not be the IDEAL way since they will both feel like they are under a microscope, but it is probably the only FAIR way to handle the situation.

another little thought.

after standing next to both following the scrimmage....I was utterly shocked how big/ripped both were.

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think there is any doubt that both will get plenty of reps in the first couple of games. Practice is one thing but game time action reacting to a live defense is totally different. Watching both on Saturday night from the stands they both look good but AA definitely had the better arm and thru the deeper passes. It'll be interesting to see how they actually play in games! ...10 days and counting!