WHERE ARE THEY NOW: Reggie Hayward

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Great article Rob!

Reggie always seemed to give his all on the field. It's great to hear about his accomplishments and struggles from his viewpoint.

As a fan, you have to love that last paragraph. I usually assume most players that go on to have a successful NFL career don't give a lot of thought about ISU, especially if they didn't grow up being a Cyclone fan.

“With all the NFL memories and all the NFL excitement and being a part of that fraternity, I am still excited — I get goosebumps when I walk through an airport and I see someone with an ISU shirt on, or a jacket,” Hayward said. “I still go over there and, ‘ISU, go ISU.‘ I get pissed off when I go into stores and they’re selling Nebraska and Iowa stuff and I can’t find an ISU cup, or ISU hat, or some type of ISU anything. If I see other colleges and I don’t see ISU, I get pissed off. So I will always be a Cyclone. Always. Barring my kids going to some (other) university, which I have to cheer for, I will always — if they play Iowa State — I will always cheer for Iowa State. So I would choose my university over my kids beating my university. That’s the type of Cyclone I am.”

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Great article Rob!

Reggie always seemed to give his all on the field. It's great to hear about his accomplishments and struggles from his viewpoint.

As a fan, you have to love that last paragraph. I usually assume most players that go on to have a successful NFL career don't give a lot of thought about ISU, especially if they didn't grow up being a Cyclone fan.

I feel the same for some of the bball players, especially if they were only there for a year or two.

I don't do twitter but last I knew Jamal Tinsley was posting a lot of stuff about ISU during basketball season.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Watched Reggie's address to the team before the Spring game. He did a great job and made a lot of really good points. One of the funny things he said was (paraphasing)... 'this Fall don't make me turn off the TV mad at halftime because the game is out of reach'

Made me realize he watches the games the same way the rest of us do!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
GREAT read. Was really happy to see him back for the Spring Game. And really glad to hear he's still a Great Cyclone! :cool:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Reggie was a beast on the field. We really haven't had a DE like that since. When you look back, that 2000 team had some really great leadership...Bruns, Hayward, Rosenfels, Moses. They've really lacked that type of leadership in the last few years.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Reggie was a beast on the field. We really haven't had a DE like that since. When you look back, that 2000 team had some really great leadership...Bruns, Hayward, Rosenfels, Moses. They've really lacked that type of leadership in the last few years.

And talent.

IIRC that was or was close to ISU's highest rated football class...I think CMC surpassed it though or at least came close.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The 2000 starting lineup was almost all juniors and seniors.
Seniors: SE, LG, C, RT, FL, QB; RE, DT, NG, OLBx2, SS, FS, CB, P/PK
Juniors: LT, RG, TB, WR, TE; LE
Sophomores: MLB (Matt Word), CB (Atif Austin)
Freshmen: FB* (Matt Woodley)

*when they put a FB out there, anyway

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
The only person I would say we've had on our football team that had more God given talent than Reggie Hayward would be Jason Berryman. He was just a stud athlete, plain and simple.

Reactions: The Rob Gray

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
He is indeed in Jacksonville. Told me he's retired and health is good.
The article said he is in Jacksonville but no mention of what he is doing these days, which was surprising for this type of update.

Reactions: CTTB78

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
Great article. Thanks for sharing. However I have a question. WHERE IS HE NOW and what is he doing for a living? I'm always curious about life after a professional athletic career.
Thanks. Sorry if I glossed over it too quickly, but he's in Jacksonville. He's retired and living well -- can't beat that!

• Informative
Reactions: CyGold

Help Support Us

Become a patron