WHERE ARE THEY NOW: Reggie Hayward

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
Great article Rob!

Reggie always seemed to give his all on the field. It's great to hear about his accomplishments and struggles from his viewpoint.

As a fan, you have to love that last paragraph. I usually assume most players that go on to have a successful NFL career don't give a lot of thought about ISU, especially if they didn't grow up being a Cyclone fan.

“With all the NFL memories and all the NFL excitement and being a part of that fraternity, I am still excited — I get goosebumps when I walk through an airport and I see someone with an ISU shirt on, or a jacket,” Hayward said. “I still go over there and, ‘ISU, go ISU.‘ I get pissed off when I go into stores and they’re selling Nebraska and Iowa stuff and I can’t find an ISU cup, or ISU hat, or some type of ISU anything. If I see other colleges and I don’t see ISU, I get pissed off. So I will always be a Cyclone. Always. Barring my kids going to some (other) university, which I have to cheer for, I will always — if they play Iowa State — I will always cheer for Iowa State. So I would choose my university over my kids beating my university. That’s the type of Cyclone I am.”
Loved talking to him. Great guy/great interview!