MONDAY MUSINGS: Back & forth w/ Blum on 2017-18 hoops

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Prohm has never been a Floyd/Eustachy type coach in terms of offense. There is no way that is what they will look like next year. That is just silly. Prohm like spacing and pacing.

Because that's what he had the players for here to run, so he did? Even then it wasn't nearly the spacing or pacing it would have been under Fred. He did switch to a similar style of Hoiball his last few years and Murray State, because that's what he had a roster for. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's willing to contact people and change system/style as needed to play to his players strengths.

He's already been preaching defense big time, which will be needed for this team... not so much in Hoiball.

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
This board better be ready to expect many, many, many more turnovers than we've been used to seeing the last four years. Those numbers will go up next year. That is a fact. We've been so spoiled by Monte that nobody has even mentioned this fact in their "realism" takes.

Not saying we are going to look like a monkey ******* a football out there, but we are going to lose significantly more possessions per game that we'd prefer. It will be a shock to people's systems.

It's kind of common sense that turnovers will fall to "normal".

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
If NIT is the ceiling next year, that's quite disappointing. The staff has had ample time and scholarships available to fill in pieces for next years squad to compete at a high level. I think I'll pass on the podcast based on that tidbit.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
People who expect this team to compete for a tournament birth have to count on noticable improvement from all current rotation guys except Jackson (Young and Babb) AND solid production from Freshmen or other players who haven't played any meaningful minutes for Iowa State.

It's definitely possible, but chances are against it. Most likely you get some of the above but not all, and this is an NIT team. I'm guessing we get pretty limited production from the 3 and 5 spots this year.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I know turnovers will go up. MM averaged about 1 TO per game, average point guard TO rate is probably 4.

I expect we reduce the opponents offensive rebound rate by more than our turnovers go up.

Do you think the Kentucky boards worry about having so many unknowns on their team each year and whether they will make the tournament? ;)

While we do not have the six 5-stars coming in next year, we have some good talent that I will look forward to watching play basketball.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This board better be ready to expect many, many, many more turnovers than we've been used to seeing the last four years. Those numbers will go up next year. That is a fact. We've been so spoiled by Monte that nobody has even mentioned this fact in their "realism" takes.

Not saying we are going to look like a monkey ******* a football out there, but we are going to lose significantly more possessions per game that we'd prefer. It will be a shock to people's systems.

The good news is we shouldn't have to be almost turnover-free to offset the other team's huge rebounding advantage.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
He will have to deviate from the 4 Out 1 In if we don't have the roster to fit that style of play.

Correct and given the current state of our roster I think a 4 Out 1 in lineup would be absurd. For that to work we will need to see Lewis, Wiggington and Babb all consistently (+38%) hit the 3 point shot.

• Agree
Reactions: Dandy

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Because that's what he had the players for here to run, so he did? Even then it wasn't nearly the spacing or pacing it would have been under Fred. He did switch to a similar style of Hoiball his last few years and Murray State, because that's what he had a roster for. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's willing to contact people and change system/style as needed to play to his players strengths.

He's already been preaching defense big time, which will be needed for this team... not so much in Hoiball.

He played that way at Murray State because that is the way he wanted to play. It isn't like he just said, oh man where did these players come from and what system would they be best for. He recruited them for a certain system. And defense has nothing to do with the kind of offense they run. Of course he wants to be better and better on defense because that is how you get to an elite level. See Golden State Warriors.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If we make the tourney this year there's going to be a bunch of people eating crow. Yum.
I ate the crow. I dug it up last night. I thought it would taste like chicken, but I was wrong.
oRKnRdL.png

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
I thought we struggled last year on end of game and even halftime possessions, while we're obviously not as experienced I think we might have more pieces next year. If these kids are winners, and I think they are, we will learn to finish out games and sneak into the NCAA. I almost feel like last year we had a lot of really good second choices but no one was a sure fire go to. A lot of our last possessions were long range 3's, turnovers, or sometimes we didn't get a shot off. I think that aspect of the game is the difference between NIT and NCAA.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'm worried when Blum is pessimistic on our chances; I remember some time between the end of non-con and before the start of our winning streak that he still thought we'd finish 11-7. Somewhat bold prediction at the time (not crazy bold for the realists) but the Nancy's on here were hoping we'd win 7.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I'm worried when Blum is pessimistic on our chances; I remember some time between the end of non-con and before the start of our winning streak that he still thought we'd finish 11-7. Somewhat bold prediction at the time (not crazy bold for the realists) but the Nancy's on here were hoping we'd win 7.
He also predicted WVU would win the big 12 last year and said Carter for WVU was better than Mason last year.

Reactions: isutrevman

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I believe will run the point at least until lindell is up to speed and maybe beyond that. Actually it will be a strength to Djack lindell and nick be interchangeable at that position.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
How cool is it that Nick gets to spend some time overseas with his brother Chris? Talk about a great mentor to help you work on your game.

Absolutely. Chris has the experience and will be tough on his little bro to improve his weaknesses better than most coaches could. He is likely getting the opportunity to go up against European Pro's to test the improvement. We'll see how much he added to his game next year but it won't be due to his him putting in the work.