MONDAY MUSINGS: Back & forth w/ Blum on 2017-18 hoops

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, May 8, 2017.

1. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    Because that's what he had the players for here to run, so he did? Even then it wasn't nearly the spacing or pacing it would have been under Fred. He did switch to a similar style of Hoiball his last few years and Murray State, because that's what he had a roster for. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's willing to contact people and change system/style as needed to play to his players strengths.

He's already been preaching defense big time, which will be needed for this team... not so much in Hoiball.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    It's kind of common sense that turnovers will fall to "normal".

3. Cloned4Life

Cloned4Life Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2006
    IT Compliance
    West Des Moines
    If NIT is the ceiling next year, that's quite disappointing. The staff has had ample time and scholarships available to fill in pieces for next years squad to compete at a high level. I think I'll pass on the podcast based on that tidbit.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Dingus

Dingus Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    WA
    People who expect this team to compete for a tournament birth have to count on noticable improvement from all current rotation guys except Jackson (Young and Babb) AND solid production from Freshmen or other players who haven't played any meaningful minutes for Iowa State.

It's definitely possible, but chances are against it. Most likely you get some of the above but not all, and this is an NIT team. I'm guessing we get pretty limited production from the 3 and 5 spots this year.

5. CycloneBBFan

CycloneBBFan Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    If we make the tourney this year there's going to be a bunch of people eating crow. Yum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JRE1975

JRE1975 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Male
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    I know turnovers will go up. MM averaged about 1 TO per game, average point guard TO rate is probably 4.

I expect we reduce the opponents offensive rebound rate by more than our turnovers go up.

Do you think the Kentucky boards worry about having so many unknowns on their team each year and whether they will make the tournament? ;)

While we do not have the six 5-stars coming in next year, we have some good talent that I will look forward to watching play basketball.

7. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

The good news is we shouldn't have to be almost turnover-free to offset the other team's huge rebounding advantage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rochclone

rochclone Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Correct and given the current state of our roster I think a 4 Out 1 in lineup would be absurd. For that to work we will need to see Lewis, Wiggington and Babb all consistently (+38%) hit the 3 point shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    Co-both.

10. rholtgraves

rholtgraves Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    He played that way at Murray State because that is the way he wanted to play. It isn't like he just said, oh man where did these players come from and what system would they be best for. He recruited them for a certain system. And defense has nothing to do with the kind of offense they run. Of course he wants to be better and better on defense because that is how you get to an elite level. See Golden State Warriors.

11. jcyclonee

jcyclonee Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Minneapolis
    I ate the crow. I dug it up last night. I thought it would taste like chicken, but I was wrong.
    [​IMG]

12. ISUMojoMan

ISUMojoMan Active Member

May 2, 2010
    I thought we struggled last year on end of game and even halftime possessions, while we're obviously not as experienced I think we might have more pieces next year. If these kids are winners, and I think they are, we will learn to finish out games and sneak into the NCAA. I almost feel like last year we had a lot of really good second choices but no one was a sure fire go to. A lot of our last possessions were long range 3's, turnovers, or sometimes we didn't get a shot off. I think that aspect of the game is the difference between NIT and NCAA.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    I'm worried when Blum is pessimistic on our chances; I remember some time between the end of non-con and before the start of our winning streak that he still thought we'd finish 11-7. Somewhat bold prediction at the time (not crazy bold for the realists) but the Nancy's on here were hoping we'd win 7.

14. rholtgraves

rholtgraves Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    He also predicted WVU would win the big 12 last year and said Carter for WVU was better than Mason last year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    Everyone hates KU, realist or not

16. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. CycloneVet

CycloneVet Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Male
    Veterinariian
    Cedar Falls
    I believe will run the point at least until lindell is up to speed and maybe beyond that. Actually it will be a strength to Djack lindell and nick be interchangeable at that position.

18. LLCoolJansma

LLCoolJansma Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Male
    Quality
    Minneapolis
    Absolutely. Chris has the experience and will be tough on his little bro to improve his weaknesses better than most coaches could. He is likely getting the opportunity to go up against European Pro's to test the improvement. We'll see how much he added to his game next year but it won't be due to his him putting in the work.