MONDAY MUSINGS: Back & forth w/ Blum on 2017-18 hoops

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Prohm is not going to deviate from a "4 Out, 1 In" offense predicated on spacing unless it is absolutely necessary. Tempo out of that offense may vary but it sure as heck will not be as slow as what Kennedy played at Murray and aggy.
He will have to deviate from the 4 Out 1 In if we don't have the roster to fit that style of play.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Put Monte Morris on that team and they are in the NCAAs. Put Donovan Jackson on that team and they are at least NIT and possibly NCAA. Their PG play was that bad.

I don't agree with that. Great PG play doesn't automatically make the team become an NCAA tourney team. Look at Washington. You also have to have more better players at other positions.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I don't agree with that. Great PG play doesn't automatically make the team become an NCAA tourney team. Look at Washington. You also have to have more better players at other positions.
Adequate PG play would have elevated Texas to be a post-season team. An obvious overhaul of the coaching staff would have elevated U-Dub and they took the steps to do that after the season. Shaka and their wings and post players were not the primary points of blame at Texas this past season.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Alot of unknowns at this point. Either way, it will be interesting to see how this team develops. The worst case scenario is dont make the tourney this year, but get all these freshman development this season, then we add Shayok and who knows who else next year. I can handle a 1 year tournament absence if it means reloading for the 2019 season.

One thing also to remember, Prohm likes to emphasize defense. We already saw the last 2 years how much more improved we were in that category. That tends to keep teams in games that might not have as much talent as others in the league. Something we will probably need at least next season.

My benchmark isn't the tourney but it is continued improvement. 2 things I think we're over-looking here - youth and leadership. This is going to be a YOUNG team regardless of who else we get in the coming weeks. How will LW come in and respond being the "man" from day 1? There is immense pressure on seasoned PGs - how's about a guy playing his first minutes in college? It takes more than an off-season for these kids to gel, more than an off-season to start to understand what's needed as to effort, attitude, etc... That's the part that is fun to watch blossom though.

I'm not nearly as convinced that Babb has the upside many on here think. I've heard the praise but not sure I've seen enough real minutes to make me a believer. Part of the fun of watching the growth.

Leadership vacuum does exist. You can't expect a grad transfer to be that leader - it has to come from the established players first. DJ could be that guy but with so many brand new parts it will take a while for that leadership to emerge.

For me - the final scorecard will be if the team is playing far better at the end of the season than at the beginning. Are there obvious roles the kids are accepting, are they good teammates, is there demonstrated growth - and WHO is/are the leader(s)?

I'm excited by this blank slate and know we'll all experience some WTF moments from these guys are they work through it.

• Agree
Reactions: Big_Sill

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Adequate PG play would have elevated Texas to be a post-season team. An obvious overhaul of the coaching staff would have elevated U-Dub and they took the steps to do that after the season. Shaka and their wings and post players were not the primary points of blame at Texas this past season.

If you have other pieces you can get to the tournament despite not having a legit PG.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"You can't expect a grad transfer to be that leader"

This guy was leading the free throw huddles from the first game of the season!

1389985876.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
"You can't expect a grad transfer to be that leader"

This guy was leading the free throw huddles from the first game of the season!

1389985876.jpg

I honestly do not remember if it was him or Melvin.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Hard to disagree with any of the CW/BB back and forth. We'll know a lot more about the unknowns about ten games in.
Well written, in spite of the Iowa reference.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
How does the speed of Nick Weiler-Babb play into the slower offense? I love the way he just flies past people in the open court like a missile.

Between him and Wiggington I expect a lot of drive and kick-out/ finishes at the rim this coming year. Babb is very explosive on the drive. I expect he will be much more efficient at finishing this year.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
The thing that help Lindell IMO is that he doesn't have to be the pg from day 1, Babb, DJax can handle it until he gets his feet wet if need be, at worst we have 3 good ball handlers on the floor in the starting lineup.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I love that CW and BB are trying to temper the expectations of us fanatics. There is a lot of optimism on this board and it makes me question people's basketball knowledge. We are going to be so young and inexperienced that its crazy to expect the NCAA let alone the NIT. If we make the NIT then next year will be a major success and will help us build up towards hopefully making the NCAA tourney the year after. Just be realistic. Realism isn't pessimism like you guys act like it is.

There are certain people that hang around waiting for the bad news to drop, and then can't stop posting. I see the tempering of expectations to be directed at those people, but the truth of the matter is that those people are going to melt down whether you temper expectations or not, so the whole point is pretty much lost. The adults in the room can handle adversity.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Because I took so much heat for Saturday's podcast, I thought I'd run some thoughts by Brent Blum to see what I am missing.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/05/monday-musings-williamsblum-back-and-forth-on-hoops-expectations/

I gave you a "Winner" star for redemption regarding last week's podcast. My favorite quote from your analysis as follows: "“Let’s sit back and watch the kids grow.” I just hope that the fan base can handle that and not persecute Steve Prohm in the process."

Win or lose I'm personally supporting Prohm no matter what through this 2017-2018 growth year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Hopefully Lard is a rim runner that the guys can throw ahead to like we did with McKay. Throw in Solomon morphing into an inside beast with a space spreading jumpshot, this could be a darn good team. Obviously there are a lot of unknowns but I like to think of the glass being half full and some of these transfers/jucos maybe didn't see as many minutes as they would like because of the existing guys.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This board better be ready to expect many, many, many more turnovers than we've been used to seeing the last four years. Those numbers will go up next year. That is a fact. We've been so spoiled by Monte that nobody has even mentioned this fact in their "realism" takes.

Not saying we are going to look like a monkey ******* a football out there, but we are going to lose significantly more possessions per game that we'd prefer. It will be a shock to people's systems.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
A ton of it depends on Babb, to me, the "Bear" scene from the movie Swingers describes NWB's game perfectly. He's got these claws and teeth, it just seems like he doesn't know what to do with it. Sorry NSFW

Reactions: helechopper

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
This board better be ready to expect many, many, many more turnovers than we've been used to seeing the last four years. Those numbers will go up next year. That is a fact. We've been so spoiled by Monte that nobody has even mentioned this fact in their "realism" takes.

Not saying we are going to look like a monkey ******* a football out there, but we are going to lose significantly more possessions per game that we'd prefer. It will be a shock to people's systems.

Plenty of folks have mentioned the turnovers going up.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I think there are some interesting pieces there for next year. If prohm finds a way to win, all credit is due.

• Agree
Reactions: acgclone

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
As CW has said before, NWB is the X factor. I'd like to see him add 10 pounds or so. He's athletic and relatively crafty but he's going to need to be able to play though contact consistently. Wiggs will be more than serviceable, I think as soon as he can play point, he needs to do so. He's far superior in creating his own shot/drive and kick where as Donovan is a knockdown shooter IMO. Let's hope Lewis can drain some threes, I'm slightly worried about perimeter contribution. Clearly, what we get from Lard is a big deal too.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc