Way Too Early Look at Next Year

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Y
He's a juco from Hutchinson CC in Kansas. Averages about 16 points and 12 boards. 6'7 power forward. Looks like he's narrowed his list down to 8 schools, including us and Kansas.

To be honest, he's a guy that we really need next year imo.
You wanna come be a star at ISU or ride the bench at ku?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
KU specifically told him he could help coach up Azubuike. Doesn't sound like a program with a need for his game.
That's a lot different than ISU trying to get him by telling him he's not good enough for other places. Great job by KU getting ahead of the issue and actually trying to sell it as a positive.

I doubt Prohm's approach is telling him he's not good enough to get off the bench at KU. First, he is good enough. Second, we have so many great things to sell that

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
That's a lot different than ISU trying to get him by telling him he's not good enough for other places. Great job by KU getting ahead of the issue and actually trying to sell it as a positive.

I doubt Prohm's approach is telling him he's not good enough to get off the bench at KU. First, he is good enough. Second, we have so many great things to sell that

I agree. I doubt Prohm is telling him anything other than there's a great opportunity to play big minutes in the Big 12 in an offensive system that will showcase his skills.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Seems insulting to Juiston

Guess it depends on how you look at it. Don't really know what ku's front court looks like next year, but would assume they have more coming back next year than we do, no offense to Solomon.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If we're decent, all credit goes to Prohm. If we're not, I'll blame Fred and how he handled his departure and all the rumors.

I'm blaming Orr for establishing success to begin with for us fans to want more of.

And something about the Bulls.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Our program is to the point where we should be expecting to dance every year. Obviously next year no one will be thinking we're dancing, but our guys have learned to believe from those that have gone before them.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
Our program is to the point where we should be expecting to dance every year. Obviously next year no one will be thinking we're dancing, but our guys have learned to believe from those that have gone before them.

Agreed. Even if we are a bubble team, just getting your name called on selection sunday at least keeps you in the public eye a little while longer. We do have the ESPN #18 ranked recruiting class coming in with 3 schollies to give still, so that should hopefully help a little.

Reactions: mj4cy

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Give Coach Prohm time to bring this next group together, similar to this year. Remember that our returners have been a part of his offense/defense now for at least a year and should be able to roll with it. It's the meshing in of the new players that takes time. I would expect a similar trend to what we saw this year...some mixed results early followed by steady improvement as the year goes on. And, given the level of recruits, that improvement should be fun to watch.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
To me, if this team is to go back to the tourney, we should probably have this lineup.
PG: Jackson, eventually Wigginton
SG:Wigginton or transfer
SF: transfer but will probably be Babb
PF: Lard. Will be more finesse than Young and should compliment well
PF: Young
I think a skilled, experience combo guard and experienced post like the juco we are recruiting will be huge and necessary. CSP has his work cut out

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I think he would change this whole discussion. We've been talking to him for a lot longer than Kansas, so hopefully that gives us the edge.
He'd be behind Preston, Bragg and probably Coleby so that probably gives you an edge as well.

• Agree
Reactions: MIClone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
In a perfect world we'd bring in 2 grad transfers good enough that we could have Lard/Babb come off the bench. Assuming you start Young simply because of his size and that he can clog the lane.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299 and State43

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
In a perfect world we'd bring in 2 grad transfers good enough that we could have Lard/Babb come off the bench. Assuming you start Young simply because of his size and that he can clog the lane.
If we have the ability to bring Babb off the bench along with giving Lard and Lewis a chance to develop without too much pressure to perform. I think Lard and Young will be a solid combo for years to come.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
- I'm expecting more games in the 65-75 point range versus 75-85
- Young getting the playing time he got is HUGE for us going into next year. His vision, positioning and passing got much better with experience. He deferred to the seniors a lot offensively. I think he adds more offense to our team next year than people expect.
- Jackson will be the leader. He's vocal, has swagger and defends as well as anyone on our team.
- Babb needs to hit the gym and get confidence in his shot. His talent is there, but he needs to want to take over a game from time to time. I think he can, but he needs to believe it.
- Wigginton's success will likely define our success. He has played well against great competition. There have been less talented PG's play well for other Big XII teams.
- One of our strengths this year has been having a number of guys that are not afraid to take the big shot to stop a run. Jackson is really the only returning guy willing to do that. These new guys are going to have to have short memories and develop fast.
- I think we see better ball movement earlier next year, with a lot more inside/out movement.
- I'm curious to see how we transition after a made basket. Hopefully we can keep up the style of the quick transition basket.

Let's go dancing again. Why the hell not?

Reactions: FinalFourCy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
ISU will have talent next year with a number of players taking on new roles. We also will have to see how Prohm fills the final 3 scholarships to get a feel for the rotation and ceiling of next years team.

Let's remember that it isn't an impossible situation to make the tourney. For instance Minnesota wasn't even sniffing the tourney last year and ended up as a 5 with the addition of a couple top freshman and a grad transfer. I believe we have the young talent ready to contribute, we'll see on the JuCo/Grad transfer front.

We also need to see what other B12 teams are in a month. Before the weekend it was looking like Okie St would finish above ISU due to Underwood and likely Evans returning now they are in total limbo.
I am optimistic for the tourney next year is possible though shouldn't be expected.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Next year is going to be so weird. It was weird enough without Niang but now no, Morris, Thomas or Naz. Man. Going to miss those guys.

Next year is going to be a test for Prohm. I know that he fully expects to take a team back to the tournament and it will be his best coaching job if he gets that done. I also know that he will be hitting the trail hard to get the best possible guys to fill out the roster. Should be interesting to see how the last 4 spots are filled.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I'm no scout, but just from what I've seen, I think Lewis would start right now. If we sign that juco or a transfer that could change, but to me he looks ready.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
If someone does transfer I think that allows us the opportunity to take on two grad transfers. No matter what we need atleast one. Really like the big fish we are after for 18 so it'd be ideal to atleast have two scholarships to play with for next year. We are in good hands with those that are figuring out the best route to go, plus it never hurts we can honestly say we have lots of playing time to offer in a great conference.