Way Too Early Look at Next Year

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
It will come down to whether can find enough offense. We haven't lost this much scoring since Fred, Julo, and Loren graduated in ('95), plus Hayes and Kimbrough both transferred out. But Tim Floyd managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat and made the tournament. How I wish we had Dedric Willoughby waiting in the wings. Maybe Wigginton can be that good early.

• Agree
Reactions: Stanton327

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Babb can be a good player if he learns one thing. Catch and shoot. Never yelled at a guy to 'just shoot it' more. No dribbling, just shoot.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Babb can be a good player if he learns one thing. Catch and shoot. Never yelled at a guy to 'just shoot it' more. No dribbling, just shoot.
I think Babb will surprise people next year. Didn't Prohm talk about how he was one of our best three point shooters last year? I think he will be our most improved player because we will be looking at him to provide more than just be a role player.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think because of how hopeless the McD years were people are overestimating how hard a total rebuild can be. Jackson is a very solid piece, Young and Babb have a lot of potential, Wiggington looks like at the very least he will be a great shooter and great in transition, there's potential for him to be a star immediately.

The Hawkeye trolls on the board have been saying we will be rebuilding for six years in a row now and have been incredibly and ridiculously wrong every time. Next year they'll be the broken clock that is right because most of our newcomers won't be can't miss talents with lots of college experience already and a year practicing against ISU. Guys like Kane and Clyburn were more reliable to contribute on day 1 than even five star McDAAs. The thing those trolls don't realize is that good programs (like ISU) rebuild and have success the same year all the time in college basketball.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think Babb will surprise people next year. Didn't Prohm talk about how he was one of our best three point shooters last year? I think he will be our most improved player because we will be looking at him to provide more than just be a role player.

No I don't think he ever said that. He said last year he would have been in the rotation if he was eligible.

Clones15

Feb 17, 2017
At the very beginning of the season, someone asked Prohm who had the most NBA potential on our roster. His answer: Nick Weiler-Babb. I'm still trying to find that article, but does anyone else remember reading this?

After some of the plays Babb made in KC, I think it's clear that he's just scratching the surface of his potential. If he can become more confident in his shot (SHOOT THE BALL), I think he's going to surprise a lot of you next season.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

This. He did an outstanding job in his role and didn't try to do too much. He's got a got a ton of athleticism.

The most invaluable thing these amazing seniors have left behind is showing these young guys the work ethic that it takes to be great. With that, I wouldn't count this 2017-2018 team out from the NCAA's.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Yeah his confidence was really bad, but it seemed to improve the last bit of the season. Part of his problem was he didn't need to shoot this year and then he struggled on top of that. That I think amplified the issue. I think he will be a Diante Garrett type player.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
I'm guessing Prohm is hitting the trail right away until his wife gives birth. Hopefully there is a instant impact grad transfer out there like Williams-Goss that we can get in on early. Another sharp shooter and post presence seem to be what is missing, to me.

Clones15

Feb 17, 2017
At the very beginning of the season, someone asked Prohm who had the most NBA potential on our roster. His answer: Nick Weiler-Babb. I'm still trying to find that article, but does anyone else remember reading this?

After some of the plays Babb made in KC, I think it's clear that he's just scratching the surface of his potential. If he can become more confident in his shot (SHOOT THE BALL), I think he's going to surprise a lot of you next season.

Found the article, for those who are interested:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...abb-iowa-state-cyclones-steve-prohm/91960926/

Reactions: FinalFourCy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
NWB looked to me this year like he wanted to defer to all the seniors and get them the ball, which was likely the correct call on his part. He never was very aggressive at being "the guy" on the offensive end with so many other options on the court.

Next year I think we'll see him step up his role at being a lot more aggressive as he will go from a newbie to a veteran in one year.

One thing we'll need next year is a "go to guy" though. We used to have Niang, then this year it was Burton or Monte, just look at how we went to Burton down the stretch last night and let him take over the game, and so next year who will be that guy?

Obvious answer could be Donovan because he loves taking the big shot and isn't afraid of it, however, he's so small that I'm not sure he can just take over a game. Sure he can hit the game winners or the clutch shots, but he generally needs to be open and doesn't create many shots for himself on his own.

So offensively, I think we may have trouble scoring at times. I think defensively we could actually be improved. Jackson, NWB, and Young are some of our better defenders and I think Lard will only help that. But we definitely need a "go to guy". Juiston, are you listening?

Reactions: Clones15

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
A big question for us is what will be the match up we exploit to get our offense going, we've pretty much used the Niang/Burton match up nightmare the last few years to get things really clicking. Kane as a post worked well as well. In a lot of ways I like the small four man look, its whats got us to the tournament the past 6 years, I hope we stick to it but have a wing like clyburn that can grab 7 rebounds a game.

This is a good point. Our offense has often broken down to just "give it to our mismatch and let that guy go make a play" since the inception of Hoiball. Particularly in late game situations. Right now, I don't really see that special player who can make those one-on-one, take-a-guy-to-school plays consistently. Burton, Niang, Royce White, those guys had special physical tools over the past 6 years. That's ok, but we'll need to retool the offense a little bit, in my opinion.

I think reasonable expectations right now should be fighting for an NIT bid and a slightly above .500 record total. We have some good pieces coming back, but we're losing our 4 most explosive scorers and play-makers who also had so many incredible intangibles and just knew how to win and lead.

No matter what, I'll still be a Cyclone! Go State!

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Honestly we are eventually due for a down year. 6 years in a row for this program is really a credit to what Hoiberg and Prohm have done. There wasn't this consistency during the Orr, Floyd, Eustachy years that had many great years.

On one hand, unless we pull in a grad transfer like Kane or Royce White, I would agree that TCU's year is probably within the range of what we are looking at for next year. BUT, the program Hoiberg/Prohm have been building wouldn't require down years like Orr, Floyd, Eustachy. That's why we've gone the the tourney 6 years in a row! The idea is that we are becoming one of the elite programs. Prohm has recruited very well so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see him land Juiston or another big grad trasfer and have us right be in.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Can somebody fill me in on Julston? I'm not familiar with him. Where is he from? Juco? High school? Rating?

Thanks!

Clones15

Feb 17, 2017
Can somebody fill me in on Julston? I'm not familiar with him. Where is he from? Juco? High school? Rating?

Thanks!

He's a juco from Hutchinson CC in Kansas. Averages about 16 points and 12 boards. 6'7 power forward. Looks like he's narrowed his list down to 8 schools, including us and Kansas.

To be honest, he's a guy that we really need next year imo.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
He's a juco from Hutchinson CC in Kansas. Averages about 16 points and 12 boards. 6'7 power forward. Looks like he's narrowed his list down to 8 schools, including us and Kansas.

To be honest, he's a guy that we really need next year imo.

I think he would change this whole discussion. We've been talking to him for a lot longer than Kansas, so hopefully that gives us the edge.