Way Too Early Look at Next Year

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I
He's a juco from Hutchinson CC in Kansas. Averages about 16 points and 12 boards. 6'7 power forward. Looks like he's narrowed his list down to 8 schools, including us and Kansas.

To be honest, he's a guy that we really need next year imo.

Thanks for the info...
I assume we offered him? Without having any inside info, is he leaning to ISU? Anyone want to venture a guess or a % chance of him landing in Ames?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Starters:
Jackson
Wigginton
Babb
Lard
Young

Bench:
Long
Kasongo
McNeill
Lewis
Carter

Not a terrible lineup with what we have to date. Going to lean on newcomers a lot, but we have seen plenty of success with that in the past. The key will be whether we can get interior scoring from Lard and Young. This year really lacked the ability to go in a force a double team to free up a shooter.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If we're decent, all credit goes to Prohm. If we're not, I'll blame Fred and how he handled his departure and all the rumors.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Babb at pg could be mismatch when he's in with guys like Wigginton and Jackson. I don't think many wings can stay in front of him. He needs confidence development as much as physical skills. He's a great no mistake guy. I'm stealing this from elsewhere, but he also looks like a player that's been a wallflower since 2014, deferring to seniors or redshirting. Think about that- the last time his role was being the man was when Kane was here!

In some ways I now wish we would have redshirted Jackson, expediting Babb's development and giving us two years of a Jackson-Babb-Wigginton-McNeil-Lewis backcourt.

Clones15

Feb 17, 2017
I

Thanks for the info...
I assume we offered him? Without having any inside info, is he leaning to ISU? Anyone want to venture a guess or a % chance of him landing in Ames?

We have offered him. As far as which way he is leaning, I really have no idea. Someone had mentioned on here a few weeks ago that he is from out east and might be interested in playing closer to home. I know UConn is on his list.

Hopefully our coaches have been able to build a solid relationship with him, as it seems like we've been looking at him for awhile now. That, the opportunity to start and potentially be "the guy" right away, and the success that we've had with players similar to him seems like it should make us a good option. But who knows. Recruiting is weird.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
It is going to be interesting to see how one of our weaknesses this year (size in the frontcourt) could be a strength next year with Solo 6'8", Lard 6'9", Kasongo 6'9", Carter 6'8". A small forward at 6'6" in Lewis, Babb is 6'5" or 6'6", Jakolby Long is 6'5". I mean that is a big long team. It will be fun to see how Prohm adjusts with such different strengths.

Reactions: Clones15

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It is going to be interesting to see how one of our weaknesses this year (size in the frontcourt) could be a strength next year with Solo 6'8", Lard 6'9", Kasongo 6'9", Carter 6'8". A small forward at 6'6" in Lewis, Babb is 6'5" or 6'6", Jakolby Long is 6'5". I mean that is a big long team. It will be fun to see how Prohm adjusts with such different strengths.

We're going to be bigger than we've ever been so a lot of people are going to get their wish. We'll see what wins in CBB these days...rebounds or 3 pointers.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Carter? He's a great teammate during games, but that's where his strength ends. Ray? Not sounding good.

I agree with the overall point though. We will need to win differently. The days of winning despite giving up 20+ offensive rebounds, losing the FT battle, and/or being indifferent to defense is probably over. Prohm has already started the transition. If we add some help in the form of guys like Juiston and others to the frontcourt we may need to play more like Huggyball.

• Disagree
Reactions: mschmitty17

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
The key to next season will be in who we get on the JUCO and graduate transfer market. In order to make a run at a tourney berth next season, we'll need Juiston and a high-impact graduate transfer of Kane, White, or BDJ caliber. This team will lose too much and be too green to make the tournament without transfer help.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Carter? He's a great teammate during games, but that's where his strength ends. Ray? Not sounding good.

I agree with the overall point though. We will need to win differently. The days of winning despite giving up 20+ offensive rebounds, losing the FT battle, and/or being indifferent to defense is probably over. Prohm has already started the transition. If we add some help in the form of guys like Juiston and others to the frontcourt we may need to play more like Huggyball.

It's gonna look a lot like this.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Starters:
Jackson
Wigginton
Babb
Lard
Young

Bench:
Long
Kasongo
McNeill
Lewis
Carter

Not a terrible lineup with what we have to date. Going to lean on newcomers a lot, but we have seen plenty of success with that in the past. The key will be whether we can get interior scoring from Lard and Young. This year really lacked the ability to go in a force a double team to free up a shooter.
This is how I see it on the starting lineup as of now. That bench scares the crap out me as I am guessing at least 4 of those guys are not b12 caliber. This team needs a couple jucos or grad transfers

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
It is way too early.....especially when we can't be sure if any current players we think will be here might leave, and there are still at least 3 scholarships to fill.

ISU has some very good recruits coming in, and some decent returning players. I'm curious to see how Jackson, Weiler-Babb, Young and others develop and step up next year. I also want to see if Long can contribute something next year, when he does not have as much quality and experience ahead of him competing for playing time, if that was the main reason why he didn't see any meaningful minutes in conference play. He made the ESPN top 100 when he was recruited, and was a 4-star for both ESPN and 247. Maybe he is a bust, but hopefully not.

ISU needs some more experienced front-court players, including a rim protector imho, and at least one more shooting or combo guard. Looking forward to seeing who Prohm and staff can land.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This is how I see it on the starting lineup as of now. That bench scares the crap out me as I am guessing at least 4 of those guys are not b12 caliber. This team needs a couple jucos or grad transfers
At least 4? McNeil and Lewis are Big 12 caliber. Maybe Long, too.

If we get two Plan A guys (Juiston and a guy like Thorpe, for example) and maybe another Plan A/B guy (Lake?, Thornton?) we're a talented enough team.

This is the one remaining doubt I have on Prohm. Most non-blue bloods need to successfully navigate the spring and even summer recruiting to fill immediate needs. Obviously it's unfair to grade Summer of 2015, but we're not a 5-seed if we hit last spring/summer.

Go get them, Coach!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I think the bench will look a lot better when we get a commit from a stretch 4 making Young and Lard a strong combo at our version of the five. If Prohm fills the 3 open schalorships I see our depth looking something like this.

PF Young..........Lard & Kasongo
S4 Juco............Grad Transfer
3G Wigginton....Lewis & Long
2G Jackson......(Wigginton) or Grad Transfer
PG Babb............McNeill

• Optimistic
Reactions: iowastatechris