Lag on Mobile makes the site innoperable

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I was going to type out "no issues" from my Android, but then I started typing.

Looks like no issues for me just browsing the site, but trying to post is horrendous.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
The entire CF support staff must be apple fan boys.

My Apple work phone is fine. My personal Android phone is terrible.

This has been the case since day 1 on this new site. Also, I don't feel it's the ads. Your for pay site won't help this.

According to all of the testing we have done it's the ads, but we continue to look into everything.

Reactions: JBone84

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, I'm on an iPhone 6s with Safari and no ad-blocker and have never had lag issues. @ChrisMWilliams I'm wondering if iOS's refusal to play nice with Flash is the reason it works so well - that seems to be the common theme here.

I *love* the mobile site. So there.

Yep. Turning off JavaScript on Android makes the site load extremely fast. I downloaded the chrome beta and keep Java off for this site. I then use normal chrome for everything else. Don't get all the features, but you can read and respond just fine.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
My iPhone 7 works perfectly ever since you made changes a few months ago. All I use is mobile and never have issues.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
Clonehomer, great JavaScript thinking.

If i turn off js i can use the mobile site.
If i leave js on i CANT type this response.
If js left on, i can scroll but really jerky.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Yep. Turning off JavaScript on Android makes the site load extremely fast. I downloaded the chrome beta and keep Java off for this site. I then use normal chrome for everything else. Don't get all the features, but you can read and respond just fine.

I have JS on in Safari, so, in and of itself, that's not the problem. I think we've pretty clearly determined the issue to be the flash video ads. Chris, we'll send an invoice.

Seriously, though, I'm sorry you have to deal with the current ad economy, Chris. What a disaster.

• Agree
Reactions: kilroy

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
The issue I see is when I try typing a reply, the lag there is terrible. Samsung Galaxy 7 with chrome. Browsing is usually ok, just issues with as ads load threads change position and I hit the wrong one.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
This has been the case since day 1 on this new site. Also, I don't feel it's the ads. Your for pay site won't help this.

Don't rain on all the paysite work prep that has already been done. The Marketing dept. has spoken.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I have JS on in Safari, so, in and of itself, that's not the problem. I think we've pretty clearly determined the issue to be the flash video ads. Chris, we'll send an invoice.

Seriously, though, I'm sorry you have to deal with the current ad economy, Chris. What a disaster.

Whether JS is the root cause or not, it fixes the issue with Chrome.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006

It always seemed that the redesign was VERY javascript heavy, and that it might have been contributing to the issues on mobile. Chrome has a very good javascript engine, but if something is implemented poorly you'll see the performance hit on mobile moreso than on on the desktop.
I've wondered about this but never tried it, assuming that the site would be inoperable without javascript. Also, javascript is such a big part of the modern web, it's a shame to disable it.

Also, you can't blame it on "Flash ads" just because it works better on Apple -- flash isn't supported on Android browsers either. Video-based ads could still be an issue, but I'm fairly confident it isn't Flash.

Back to the javascript thing, the ad systems rely heavily on javascript to load content, so if javascript is blocked I wonder if that's simply a red herring since the ads aren't being loaded, or if that's the real root cause -- that the javascript just needs to be cleaned up.

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks to whoever suggested the browser to turn off Java script. That did it. Miss some features but extremely fast now via the period browser.

Still sad I have to have a completely different browser for 1 website I go to. Hahaha