Lag on Mobile makes the site innoperable

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I have android and have cleared my cache but it immediately failed to load still.
My Chromebook seemed to be working quite a bit better but then it locked up everything and did a hard reboot.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I have android and have cleared my cache but it immediately failed to load still.
My Chromebook seemed to be working quite a bit better but then it locked up everything and did a hard reboot.

Just to be clear I haven't made any changes to tablet/desktop viewing. Just for phones right now. Trying to solve one problem at a time.

Reactions: cydsho and kilroy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Now it's bad again.

The most annoying thing is that loading pages pauses any active audio playing

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I've had a lot of lag on the desktop on PC. Seems a little better this afternoon.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
No improvement for me on my android 4.3 phone. The page partially loads and just freezes for a couple of minutes, and then finally fully loads. It doesn't matter what browser I use.

The site works fine on my android 5.1 tablet.

This is not a new problem. There have been several threads on it, and I think in one of the threads, if I remember correctly, the problem was tracked to video ads???

I've found that if I kill the page load a few seconds after some of the page content shows up and the page load freezes, it seems that most of the useful things have actually loaded on the page.

Last edited:

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I think this is a very good site and enjoy it immensely, but probably will give up on it once it adds a premium forum.

Damn it, we want tons of great content, extremely fast performance, no ads and we want it all for free!

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I haven't checked today, but the experience on mobile ever since the redesign has been terrible, generally unusable. I just hadn't complained about it until somebody woke up the thread saying it was laggy and I decided to finally say something.

I've always been on android, and it hasn't mattered what version or what browser. Chrome, firefox, built-in android browser, it's always really, really bad.

I'll add in that even browsing on a desktop computer is often laggy. I feel like this experience isn't usual, even with other sites that are ad-heavy.. so I wonder if it's less the existence of the ads, and more an implementation issue somewhere. I wish I could offer more in terms of looking into it, but I don't have experience with implementing ad systems in websites. I'm not sure if it's typical for sites with ads to be constantly making a crap ton of web calls downloading content, which appears to be the case when I monitor the network activity through Chrome's developer console. There's also a lot of warnings and errors when loading stuff in the console. Perhaps the developer can monitor some of that stuff and try to either update the ad systems to fix any bugs on their end, or make sure all the necessary scripts are in place, I dunno.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I got an iPhone 6s about the time of the new design. Before that my android was ancient and this site pretty much unusable, prinarily due to my phone.

With the iPhone it has been pretty good, and I don't use an ad blocker with Safari.

What it often does with the iPhone though, is suddenly reload, I'm pretty sure due to the ads. It is annoying in writing posts in that that typically means the loss of your post. In any very long I try to copy as I go, in case this happens (and the longer the post the greater the time to compose and the likelihood of it happening). If it happens to a relatively long post and I lose it all, it is likely I won't even try to rewrite it.

The safest thing to do is to write it in Google docs and copy it over, but you are still losing some of the functionality and ease of use, even with the iPhone 6s (and no ad blocker).

The new design remembers what you have composed at some point, which is good, but what I am talking about is just getting on going to post something and suddenly it is gone and that time wasted.

Anyway the experience for me is generally pretty good but that is still an issue.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
The entire CF support staff must be apple fan boys.

My Apple work phone is fine. My personal Android phone is terrible.

This has been the case since day 1 on this new site. Also, I don't feel it's the ads. Your for pay site won't help this.

• Agree
Reactions: CYme

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Yeah, I'm on an iPhone 6s with Safari and no ad-blocker and have never had lag issues. @ChrisMWilliams I'm wondering if iOS's refusal to play nice with Flash is the reason it works so well - that seems to be the common theme here.

I *love* the mobile site. So there.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Took the advice in this thread and downloaded something called NeverAds for my iphone 6 and now the mobile site is much improved for me. Posting from my work Dell laptop and the full site is still no bueno though.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah, I'm on an iPhone 6s with Safari and no ad-blocker and have never had lag issues. @ChrisMWilliams I'm wondering if iOS's refusal to play nice with Flash is the reason it works so well - that seems to be the common theme here.

I would bet large sums of money that this is the issue.

Large large sums.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I'm right there with ya. I don't use ad blocker (iPhone 6 and chrome) and rarely have had an issue. Normal pages take about 2 seconds to load on wifi and cell. Occasionally when going to a first new post it'll kick me back up to the post again after a few seconds.

Now that you're done giving out Walmart gift cards I'm happy with the site.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
I know that you said you only did things to the mobile site, but on my laptop I can at least load the pages now. I am not getting the error anymore that I had posted earlier. It now just lags on each page for a little bit.