*** Official IOWA STATE VS Oklahoma State Game(Day) Thread ***

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Could somebody with better tech skills than me link the Fran Franchilla tweet from last night comparing our 4 guard offense to KU's? Would like some discussion on it, just for discussion sake. (No, I don't have an 'agenda'). Certainly can't complain about our offensive production last night but wondering about when we meet those teams again that won't let us push the tempo or take advantage of steals (like a Cincinnati). I always value Fran's opinion. Besides, he likes us. Apologize if already posted somewhere else.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">KU &amp; Iowa State playing &quot;small ball&quot; w/4 perimeter players. KU creates more &quot;downhill&quot; to rim O with movement. ISU a lot of standing/1-on-1.</p>&mdash; Fran Fraschilla (@franfraschilla) <a href="">January 12, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Funny
Reactions: isu2014

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks CysRage for the link. I noticed Travis Hines response was something to the effect of different level of talent, which is fair. KU with a legit 6'10 big and a 5-star freshmen who can get his own shot, and a wing at 6'8" is bound to get more offense at the rim. I do hope we continue to get good screening, movt. and pass to the open guy. I'm cool with Deonte taking his guy to the hole (against 'his' guy), but then to be disciplined to pass it when help arrives. He needs to avoid those charging fouls by making up his mind too soon. Hope we see a few more lobs in the future to Solomon as well.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Could somebody with better tech skills than me link the Fran Franchilla tweet from last night comparing our 4 guard offense to KU's? Would like some discussion on it, just for discussion sake. (No, I don't have an 'agenda'). Certainly can't complain about our offensive production last night but wondering about when we meet those teams again that won't let us push the tempo or take advantage of steals (like a Cincinnati). I always value Fran's opinion. Besides, he likes us. Apologize if already posted somewhere else.

I'm not sure why his comment should be surprising or concerning. Kansas is good.

But I'm sure you are plenty concerned about it.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not sure why his comment should be surprising or concerning. Kansas is good.

But I'm sure you are plenty concerned about it.

Would you just back off...... Where did I say it was surprising? No more than people discussing rebounding, free throws, or heaven knows other parts of games.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
When there were about 6 minutes left, my wife goes, "Not that I want to jinx us, but did they forget Forte was on their team?"

That friggin leprechaun hits some crazy guarded shots, but he has seemed to disappear for big stretches of games against us when they need him. I assume it's a combination of him and our defense.

I'm anxious to re-watch the game to pay more attention to how we defended him. He's one of the best guys at wrapping around a screen and getting a good looking shot off.

Im not sure you want to use "good looking" shot when describing Phil Forte, it comes from the chest and its ugly. ;)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Thing I have noticed from KBoo this year is Graham has become a better passer and Michailuch (sp?) is a major upgrade over Selden in every way except dunk highlights. Lucas isn't much of an athletic guy, but seems to be in the right place on both ends of the court. Plus you can't move him. The only times they seem to struggle on O is when Jackson shoots jumpers. Furby Mason is still great at getting in the lane and finishing. He's great at hand checking to but that's a different discussion.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Im not sure you want to use "good looking" shot when describing Phil Forte, it comes from the chest and its ugly. ;)

You can hang on pure form all you want. His stroke is consistent, fluid, and exceptionally quick.

Orr used to say Hornacek had poor mechanics but no way they'd mess with it. He went on to be an NBA all star.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Jackson's defense just keeps getting better. He is struggling on offense but hopefully that comes around.

I didn't see the game but if he was taking good, open 3's I'm all for it because I know he's very capable of hitting those.

LOVE the buy in from him defensively and hustling in general.

Personally I note someone as 'struggling' on offense if they're turning the ball over recklessly, not moving very fluidly in the sets/plays, etc. It's hard to complain too much about good shots not going in...physics sometimes just doesn't like you.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think our 4-guard (or sometimes is it really five-guard, at least against Texas) is an attempt to spread the floor like we used to with Georges. Unfortunately, no one really starts at the top of the key and does the Georges thing as well. Georges usually got to the hole himself but when the double came was the master of the short little dump off pass. I think Nader saw the light on that eventually and had a really good game driving to the bucket and passing, I think it was at Texas. We have had a little success with this with Deonte more at the elbow. Lately we seem to be trying it with Monte. I think we were trying to use him in that Georges role at the end of the Baylor game. Tougher to do with a smaller guy driving into the Baylor bigs.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

This one?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I didn't see the game but if he was taking good, open 3's I'm all for it because I know he's very capable of hitting those.

LOVE the buy in from him defensively and hustling in general.

Personally I note someone as 'struggling' on offense if they're turning the ball over recklessly, not moving very fluidly in the sets/plays, etc. It's hard to complain too much about good shots not going in...physics sometimes just doesn't like you.

He also threw a bad pass late in the game and whenever he has tried to score are the rim it hasn't gone well.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Thing I have noticed from KBoo this year is Graham has become a better passer and Michailuch (sp?) is a major upgrade over Selden in every way except dunk highlights. Lucas isn't much of an athletic guy, but seems to be in the right place on both ends of the court. Plus you can't move him. The only times they seem to struggle on O is when Jackson shoots jumpers. Furby Mason is still great at getting in the lane and finishing. He's great at hand checking to but that's a different discussion.

Furby Mason also is an expert at getting bailed out with a foul call. Not sure what it is other than the KU jersey.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: bosco and CTTB78

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Furby Mason also is an expert at getting bailed out with a foul call. Not sure what it is other than the KU jersey.

If KU is tied or down a point with under 10 seconds, there is no reason for Self to call a play. Just have Mason bull into the lane and draw a foul. I think he could run over a defender that didn't move his feet from the moment the ball was inbounded. He's not getting called for a charge. I'm not taking anything away from him. He's incredibly talented and vastly improved, but he's not getting called for a charge and everyone knows it.

Kstate did the right thing at the end of the game by making someone other than Mason get the ball. They just didn't count on the refs to forget to stamp the travelling Ukrainian's passport on the way to the rim.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

He is very good at attacking the rim and is athletic and strong enough to score through contact and welcomes contact. That is why he gets foul calls. If Monte did this, he would get foul calls as well. But Monte is more of a finesse/floater type scorer in the lane.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
He is very good at attacking the rim and is athletic and strong enough to score through contact and welcomes contact. That is why he gets foul calls. If Monte did this, he would get foul calls as well. But Monte is more of a finesse/floater type scorer in the lane.

Monte is definitely not as aggressive at the hoop, but that's because he hasn't got a call in four years when he does welcome contact. He usually ends up on his ass while the other team takes the ball the other way. It's amazing how much he gets beat up at the rim with no foul.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Monte is definitely not as aggressive at the hoop, but that's because he hasn't got a call in four years when he does welcome contact. He usually ends up on his ass while the other team takes the ball the other way. It's amazing how much he gets beat up at the rim with no foul.

Agree that Monte doesn't get the foul calls he deserves . I think I must point that out 3 times a game, when watching every game.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Watched Notre Dame/Clemson game the other day and feel like they are really playing a four guard offense a lot of the time. That Geben guy is a fouling machine and isn't on the floor all that much. Beachum is certainly bigger than our guys and classified as a forward but he plays like a guard. And then there is Bonzie playing the 5 at 6'5" reminding me a lot of Melvin Ejim.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron