*** Official IOWA STATE VS Oklahoma State Game(Day) Thread ***

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
great win, lots of positives to build on.

Thank God Phil Forte didn't go off for 500 tre's

I haven't seen or heard it mentioned much, but Monte's defense on Forte in the 2nd half was a big part of the reason we won that game. He had a hard time getting the looks he did in the first.

On the flip side, I thought the foul called on Solomon, under the basket going against Bowie for a rebound, was pretty weak. Didn't look like there was much contact at all, and Solomon ended up with the ball.

Totally agree, but that was the possession after he got away with moving about 5' on a screen on the offensive end that resulted in a foul called on (Naz I think) us so I chalked it up to a make up.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

DrT

Nov 17, 2012
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Absolutely fantastic finish against Cowboys! The nine 4 nine “down the stretch” becomes THE template going forward for the sealing of many more victories to come!

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Was Blume at the game?

Blume? Judy Blume? Brett Blume?

I might have seen Judy Blume sitting with Lindell Wiggington and Paul Rhoades, but am not sure how that's relevant to basketball conversation.

Brent Blum was probably there too.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I haven't seen or heard it mentioned much, but Monte's defense on Forte in the 2nd half was a big part of the reason we won that game. He had a hard time getting the looks he did in the first.

When there were about 6 minutes left, my wife goes, "Not that I want to jinx us, but did they forget Forte was on their team?"

That friggin leprechaun hits some crazy guarded shots, but he has seemed to disappear for big stretches of games against us when they need him. I assume it's a combination of him and our defense.

I'm anxious to re-watch the game to pay more attention to how we defended him. He's one of the best guys at wrapping around a screen and getting a good looking shot off.

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
Because he works his ass off on the defensive end. And because he's got the ability to score. The offense hasn't come together for him yet, but he's getting there.

Just out of curiosity, who would you prefer get his minutes?
Lol just wondering , his scoring stats ,not so good

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I agree. But he's contributing in other ways for now. I think he's still finding his niche at ISU. Gotta remember that when he committed the assumption was that he would be the man in the backcourt. Monte staying for his senior year and Naz getting the medical redshirt created a totally different situation than he thought he'd be getting into.

Reactions: isu2014

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Could somebody with better tech skills than me link the Fran Franchilla tweet from last night comparing our 4 guard offense to KU's? Would like some discussion on it, just for discussion sake. (No, I don't have an 'agenda'). Certainly can't complain about our offensive production last night but wondering about when we meet those teams again that won't let us push the tempo or take advantage of steals (like a Cincinnati). I always value Fran's opinion. Besides, he likes us. Apologize if already posted somewhere else.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

We don't need a ton of points from him this year. If Jackson can bring energy, defend at his current level and manage the game while Monte is out, he needs to be on the floor.

Getting Monte some rest in a grueling league is good for us come March. Getting Jackson quality minutes now is good for next year and beyond.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Could somebody with better tech skills than me link the Fran Franchilla tweet from last night comparing our 4 guard offense to KU's? Would like some discussion on it, just for discussion sake. (No, I don't have an 'agenda'). Certainly can't complain about our offensive production last night but wondering about when we meet those teams again that won't let us push the tempo or take advantage of steals (like a Cincinnati). I always value Fran's opinion. Besides, he likes us. Apologize if already posted somewhere else.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Basically just saying that KU's 4 guard lineup is better at offense mainly because they are good at getting into the lane and either kicking out or scoring. ISU's offense has been great in transition but can get stagnant at times when they try to go 1 on 1.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Basically just saying that KU's 4 guard lineup is better at offense mainly because they are good at getting into the lane and either kicking out or scoring. ISU's offense has been great in transition but can get stagnant at times when they try to go 1 on 1.
I haven't watched more than 2 Kansas games this year, but that is a fair assessment of our "Small Ball" Lineup's offense. Not a bad thing, but it is obvious that is what we are trying to do if we don't get out in transition.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

I like that Fran just talks basketball instead of trolling or going for the "hot take." The guy knows his stuff.

I haven't seen a ton of KU this year but i don't disagree based on what I've seen. I think he's dead on about us. We settle for a lot of jumpers in the half court, although last night was better.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does OSU lead the league in unforced (or nearly unforced) turnovers? They just gave it to us a lot.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu2014