*** Official IOWA STATE VS #2 Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
9-4.......
Gotta find a way to close out or the big dance isn't gonna happen...and I'm not hopefull as we're closing in on the half way point of the season.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Just noting that two of our four losses are to the only two undefeated teams in the country (by 2 points each).

Yeah, wish the fricken' committee would take that in to consideration, but they won't. While playing high ranked opponents raise your RPI, losing by narrow margins to them doesn't provide us anything, right?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You must have a good nut cup, where did you get yours?

It helps not to use it unless you need to.

What was your prediction for tonight? If you didn't pick a win, tonight shouldn't change your prediction for the season. So no need to freak out.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, wish the fricken' committee would take that in to consideration, but they won't. While playing high ranked opponents raise your RPI, losing by narrow margins to them doesn't provide us anything, right?

Oh calm down.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015

Our RPI improved...

Playing Baylor improved our SOS which is why we moved up after the loss

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
It helps not to use it unless you need to.

What was your prediction for tonight? If you didn't pick a win, tonight shouldn't change your prediction for the season. So no need to freak out.

Don''t you understand how a nut cup works? Yes, I predicted we'd lose, but then we had a chance and couldn't close it out thus the nut cup comes into play.

• Dislike
Reactions: isufbcurt

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Our RPI improved...

Playing Baylor improved our SOS which is why we moved up after the loss
Which matters only after you get close in the win metric. It's been said before, but there are a lot of reasons to be bearish on this team winning enough close games to make the tournament.

A missed opportunity and heartbreaking loss, but not a damaging loss. I love the effort Prohm gets from these guys and he generally has them playing well. We have a really small margin though. This team reminds me of Hoiberg's first team. That team played hard in a lot of close games, losing most of them. 2012-13 was an even more frustrating year, as that one had way too much talent to lose so many close games.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Why does everyone not remember that we played and beat Miami?

That's still a fine win. But Miami's profile took a hit tonight — thumped by Syracuse, whose previous best win was Monmouth, has losses at home to St. John's, neutral vs. UConn, road vs. BC.

The following doesn't specifically reference your post, but combo of several in this thread: ISU's loss at BU is no crime and was competitive on the road vs. what could be No. 1 team next week. But Iowa State already had "good losses" (Gonzaga, Cincinnati to some extent) ... what we need are good wins.

We may be seeing a transition to a much better February/March compared to November/December. But, gotta snag a few of these "almosts" along the way.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I watched the game on DVR and had a few thoughts.
* Great game by these young men and the coaching staff: 5 TOs, 10 3PTs, 7 steals and just a lot of heart. It was interesting that Naz said it's the most prepared they'd ever been; it showed.
* Yes, it was a bit heart-breaking but this Big12 season is a grind. They're showing they can compete in spite of a lack of bigs.
* I thought Monte led the charge well in spite of cold shooting. Yes, he missed that shot with about a minute to go but, well, a 7-footer ran at him and changed it. But he attacked the zone all night as he said he would.
* Without many 3's in the 2nd half, Burton was a difference-maker. I ISO'd him on D a number of times and his effort and positioning were better. I don't know what it is with him missing close shots. I think I'd tell him that if he's in the lane to always bank it because at least he wouldn't come up short. The announcer was right - he's got a good first step when he drives left.
* I said on these boards that Young could shoot the J and he knocked down 2.
* Bowie is effective driving to the hole and in the 1st half, he really moved the ball well against the BU zone. Then there are those free throws ...
* They are SO improved on the defensive end; they hedged well on a lot of screens. But, man, those BU guys are huge. I was thinking, "If we just had a Wainwright ..." (but I'd rather have Motley)
* In the first half, they hit 8 threes but they built their lead in the 2nd half by running on defensive boards. Great transition play by Naz, NWB and Monte.
* We're going to miss Naz's motor next year.

I love college hoops; this is the nature of the beast sometimes. Now, back to adulting ...

Last edited:

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
* Great game by these young men and the coaching staff: 5 TOs, 10 3PTs, 7 steals and just a lot of heart. It was interesting that Naz said it's the most prepared they'd ever been; it showed.
* Yes, it was a bit heart-breaking but this Big12 season is a grind. They're showing they can compete in spite of a lack of bigs.
* I thought Monte led the charge well in spite of cold shooting. Yes, he missed that shot with about a minute to go but, well, a 7-footer ran at him and changed it. But he attacked the zone all night as he said he would.
* Without many 3's in the 2nd half, Burton was a difference-maker. I ISO'd him on D a number of times and his effort and positioning were better. I don't know what it is with him missing close shots. I think I'd tell him that if he's in the lane to always bank it because at least he wouldn't come up short. The announcer was right - he's got a good first step when he drives left.
* They are SO improved on the defensive end; they hedged well on a lot of screens. But, man, those BU guys are huge. I was thinking, "If we just had a Wainwright ..." (but I'd rather have Motley)
* In the first half, they hit 8 threes but they built their lead in the 2nd half by running on defensive boards. Great transition play by Naz, NWB and Monte.

I love college hoops; this is the nature of the beast sometimes. Now, back to adulting ...

We'll win a lot of games this year. Only a matter of time to close out tight games. Got another shot at Baylor as well.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
* Bowie is effective driving to the hole and in the 1st half, he really moved the ball well against the BU zone. Then there are those free throws ...

One good point to add off yours... Baylor BY FAR is the best team out there that can expose our lack of height, and we lost by two at their place.

Help Support Us

Become a patron