Kirk Bohls: Big 12 expansion likely

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
If this conference dissolves with the current ten members, there will be a home in one of the other P5 conferences for ISU. If we add G5 schools and the big boys later leave the Big 12, then the Big 12 will become a G5 and ISU will be stuck there.

DO NOT EXPAND. EXPANSION IS VERY BAD FOR ISU.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's nice to believe, but this article would dispute that:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-big-12-schools-to-the-rest-of-the-power-five

I think expansion is clearly the best thing for ISU. Need Oklahoma and Texas on board.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
How do you know that ISU will remain in a P5 if the Big 12 collapses? The last time this was a possibility, ISU and the leftovers were destined for the Big East.

If Big 12 were to lose TU and/or OU and their friends, would you rather be in a Big 12 with the leftovers plus the possible candidates or would you rather have ISU in the AAU/CUSA/MAC/MWC?

We don't. What we DO know is that our AD lived through the first scare and presumably developed a plan for "next time".

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's nice to believe, but this article would dispute that:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-big-12-schools-to-the-rest-of-the-power-five

I think expansion is clearly the best thing for ISU. Need Oklahoma and Texas on board.

TCU the third most attractive candidate?

200.gif

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Expansion does nothing but bad if it doesn't come with UT & OU extending the GoR. Also, TCU isn't more attractive than us to the Pac, B1G or ACC.

Can we get a GOR to cover the rest of my life expectancy? Would love to be able to chill and just complain about the refs in my golden years

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Expansion does nothing but bad if it doesn't come with UT & OU extending the GoR. Also, TCU isn't more attractive than us to the Pac, B1G or ACC.
Are you kidding us or yourself? TCU is infinitely more attractive to those conferences. You have got to be kidding if you think relying on AAU status will do anything for us. We will be without a home. Period.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Are you kidding us or yourself? TCU is infinitely more attractive to those conferences. You have got to be kidding if you think relying on AAU status will do anything for us. We will be without a home. Period.

TCU will never, ever, be in those conferences. ISU might.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The amount of Debbie Downers in this thread is amazing. None of you have any freaking idea what is going to happen 8 years from now. It will probably change completely from what it is now, so speculating what is going to happen when GoR ends (and panicking about) is quite ridiculous.

Carry on.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Can we finally bury any mention of UCF, NIU and Colorado St now. It's embarrassing for the league to have those names associated with Big 12 ball

UCF is actually a viable option. They have a huge enrollment. Their athletic department budget is around $45 million or so. Their football team plays in a 45,000+ seat stadium that is on campus and was built new in 2007. UCF played in the Fiesta Bowl in 2013. And averaged over 42,000 attendance that year. Put UCF in the Big 12 and they would do well. Also goes deep into SEC territory into the fertile Florida recruiting grounds.

BYU presents a host of problems. No Sunday play. Distance.....especially from West Virginia. And does the Big 12 want 3 private religious schools in the conference. Football has been slipping some since they went Independent. IMO, BYU would make lots of demands and it just is not worth it. Big 12 does not need BYU. Plus, I would never want to attend an away game to BYU. Tailgating would suck.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Is adding byu for football only a viable option? Maybe allow them to throw their third tier on our conference network if we get one to add marketability to it. I can imagine Sunday scheduling being a pain in the *** and they aren't close to any of the other teams in the big 12. if it's just football, the travel aspect isn't that big of a deal.

Then do cinci for all sports.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
UCF is actually a viable option. They have a huge enrollment. Their athletic department budget is around $45 million or so. Their football team plays in a 45,000+ seat stadium that is on campus and was built new in 2007. UCF played in the Fiesta Bowl in 2013. And averaged over 42,000 attendance that year. Put UCF in the Big 12 and they would do well. Also goes deep into SEC territory into the fertile Florida recruiting grounds.

BYU presents a host of problems. No Sunday play. Distance.....especially from West Virginia. And does the Big 12 want 3 private religious schools in the conference. Football has been slipping some since they went Independent. IMO, BYU would make lots of demands and it just is not worth it. Big 12 does not need BYU. Plus, I would never want to attend an away game to BYU. Tailgating would suck.

B12 commissioner HFCS would have added Louisville when they publicly begged to join and BYU as football only. Create a deal for BYU and Texas football to be exclusive to B12 network after their contracts are complete but let them retain rights to other sports if they want. Expansion complete and successful.

Not hindsight either, that was what I wanted to do at the time.

BYU as football only for the 12th team makes a TON of sense compared to adding a substandard 12th just to get to 12.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I still think Louisville sucks and am thrilled we never added them. WVU was infinitely a better add as a flagship. UCONN would be as well. UCONN and BYU are the best available schools and brands BY FAR.

That said DO NOT EXPAND PLEASE!

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I still think Louisville sucks and am thrilled we never added them. WVU was infinitely a better add as a flagship. UCONN would be as well. UCONN and BYU are the best available schools and brands BY FAR.

That said DO NOT EXPAND PLEASE!

Agree, UConn and the NYC cable subs they deliver is the only available school that would come close to justifying flipping LHN to a B12 Network. Plus they are a state flagship school and Top 100 for academics. If a B12 Network can be justified with UConn, then add BYU and their national brand for FB only. Then you can keep the BB and VB double round robin with 11 schools.

No other expansion scenario comes close to making any financial, competitive, academic and branding sense.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I've read zero of this thread, with that said....

Big 12 as it is is a joke. Behind the big 10, SEC, and PAC 12 in prestige for sure. ACC and us are a toss up.

I hope the whole deal blows up and ISU lands in the upper half somehow.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
B12 commissioner HFCS would have added Louisville when they publicly begged to join and BYU as football only. Create a deal for BYU and Texas football to be exclusive to B12 network after their contracts are complete but let them retain rights to other sports if they want. Expansion complete and successful.

Not hindsight either, that was what I wanted to do at the time.

BYU as football only for the 12th team makes a TON of sense compared to adding a substandard 12th just to get to 12.

We do not need the BYU brand in the Big 12. Their status is slipping since they went Independent. And I do not want a football only school. Plus the distance thing. I am beginning to think that Cinci and Memphis, if they can bring in the FED EX money, might be the best options.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...4531dc-3268-11e2-9cfa-e41bac906cc9_story.html

The link I posted above is to an article written after Marylands Board of Regents voted to abandon the ACC and accept an invite to join the Big 10.

On Monday, the university system’s Board of Regents voted to abandon that past for what university officials vigorously touted as a more secure financial future. Beginning with the 2014-15 school year, Maryland’s athletic department — which has faced debilitating financial woes in recent years — will compete in the powerful Big Ten, a conference with deep roots in the Midwest. It is the latest upheaval in the landscape of college athletics, which no longer conforms to traditional geographic boundaries.
“Membership in the Big Ten is in the strategic interest of the University of Maryland,” university President Wallace D. Loh said. “Number one, by being members of the Big Ten Conference, we will be able to ensure the financial sustainability of Maryland athletics for decades to come.”
Reaction from many Terrapins fans and students was decidedly negative as their school abandoned its longtime affiliation with like-minded and nearby institutions for a new but ill-defined relationship with schools that to many seemed far away and unfamiliar.

While I think Cincy, Memphis, UConn and BYU all have certain traits that are appealing, the Big 12 needs to go after a "Maryland"-type program. One that may be struggling financial and not of the elite. A program like NC State would be a huge get and would probably be willing to get out of Duke and UNCs shadow, while also delivering strong academic cachet, top notch athletics, elite facilities and also the Durham TV market. I bet the Big 12 would look pretty appealing if you showed some of these ACC programs how well Iowa State has done financially.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
HFCS:

You've put a considerable amount of thought into these expansion scenarios- this may be a stupid idea, but I'd like to see you weigh in on jumping straight to a 14 team conference. Is that financially possible? We already have the naming rights to "The Big 14" correct?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The amount of Debbie Downers in this thread is amazing. None of you have any freaking idea what is going to happen 8 years from now. It will probably change completely from what it is now, so speculating what is going to happen when GoR ends (and panicking about) is quite ridiculous.

Carry on.

I had the pleasure of talking at length to a Cinncinnati board of trustees member this weekend at a certain horse race in Kentucky. Long story, but I had no idea he was affiliated until we had chatted a bit.

For what it is worth....he says Cinncinnati is in, it's already been decided...BYU has zero chance, Memphis less than zero, and he thinks UCONN is the leader right now as the second school but was not sure on that. Issue is getting the Longhorn Network issue figured out clearly, he was not optimistic this could be done soon or maybe not ever, just very hard to work around LHN it seems.