Kirk Bohls: Big 12 expansion likely

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I had the pleasure of talking at length to a Cinncinnati board of trustees member this weekend at a certain horse race in Kentucky. Long story, but I had no idea he was affiliated until we had chatted a bit.

For what it is worth....he says Cinncinnati is in, it's already been decided...BYU has zero chance, Memphis less than zero, and he thinks UCONN is the leader right now as the second school but was not sure on that. Issue is getting the Longhorn Network issue figured out clearly, he was not optimistic this could be done soon or maybe not ever, just very hard to work around LHN it seems.

Cincinnati and UConn would be my picks so this sounds like good news if the guy knows what he's talking about

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Are you kidding us or yourself? TCU is infinitely more attractive to those conferences. You have got to be kidding if you think relying on AAU status will do anything for us. We will be without a home. Period.

No it isn't that simple. Period. You don't know ****.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I had the pleasure of talking at length to a Cinncinnati board of trustees member this weekend at a certain horse race in Kentucky. Long story, but I had no idea he was affiliated until we had chatted a bit.

For what it is worth....he says Cinncinnati is in, it's already been decided...BYU has zero chance, Memphis less than zero, and he thinks UCONN is the leader right now as the second school but was not sure on that. Issue is getting the Longhorn Network issue figured out clearly, he was not optimistic this could be done soon or maybe not ever, just very hard to work around LHN it seems.

Thanks for sharing. I can live with this; just want nothing to do with BYU and NIU.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I am thinking expansion takes place with Cinci and UConn. Only downside is distance. And if you are considering distance, then BYU is out as well. UConn has academics, money, TV Sets, and while football is so-so, their basketball programs are elite.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Unequal Revenue will be on the Big 12's tombstone.

ISU must run the cleanest program around. In the old days teams got paid more for being on TV. Strong incentive to cheat. Honor Before Victory....or the 2:30 time slot on ABC

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Reading that, IMO the Big 12 will expand by 2 teams. Get divisions and get a CCG. Increase revenue some in that scenario. Texas will get a bigger cut from a Conference Network IMO for a while. How much, I do not know. After expanding the Big 12 will take a wait and see attitude to see if the ACC has some issues. Could be some vulnerable possibilities down the road.

When it comes to choosing teams to expand. Take the teams that would be most coveted by your rival conferences. When you consider that, then the obvious choices to expand are Cinci and UConn. UConn is probably the most ripe to get a Power 5 Conference invitation. ACC or Big Ten could possibly take UConn in the next go around IMO.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Reading that, IMO the Big 12 will expand by 2 teams. Get divisions and get a CCG. Increase revenue some in that scenario. Texas will get a bigger cut from a Conference Network IMO for a while. How much, I do not know. After expanding the Big 12 will take a wait and see attitude to see if the ACC has some issues. Could be some vulnerable possibilities down the road.

When it comes to choosing teams to expand. Take the teams that would be most coveted by your rival conferences. When you consider that, then the obvious choices to expand are Cinci and UConn. UConn is probably the most ripe to get a Power 5 Conference invitation. ACC or Big Ten could possibly take UConn in the next go around IMO.

That $15 million trainwreck ESPN created in Austin is a pretty big hurdle. I don't expect anything to happen because Big 12 leadership sucks.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Currently, the Big 12 is stuck with three bad-to-risky options. 1) Stay at 10 forever, potentially upsetting Oklahoma and others and driving them to another conference once the GOR expires; 2) Expand by two or four teams with some of the stronger options from non-P5 conferences, diluting the Big 12 in terms of conference strength, potentially becoming the new Big East/AAC; 3) Hold at 10 for now, wait to see what the ACC does with their conference network and see if the Big 12 can potentially poach any teams if the ACC becomes unstable.

These aren't great options. Even the "strongest" move from a national perspective doesn't really solve any of the Big 12's underlying issues, it just adds a few more mediocre teams to the league. The two main drivers of conference realignment are money and prestige. Money, in terms of TV rights. Prestige, in terms of playoff access. There's five conferences fighting for four playoff spots.

The Big 12 is trying to solve their problems by patching over the larger issues. Adding Cinci and UConn isn't suddenly going to raise the Big 12's profile to SEC/Big Ten level. Both of those leagues have conference networks with major media networks promoting their agenda. The Big 12 and ACC don't have that kind of backing, and internal politics are making each conference unstable and ripe for poaching as we approach the endgame, which is four power conferences with guaranteed playoff spots.

If the Big 12 really wants to stop the constant realignment talk, they need to stop thinking small. The only way to win this game is to preemptively get to four power conferences by merging with the ACC. It's a 24 team super-conference, and yeah, it's insane and unwieldy. Each team may only play another team from another division twice a decade. It's not college football that we grew up on. But merging the two most unstable P5 conferences delivers the geographic reach and population for a conference network to get on the level of the SEC/Big Ten/Pac 12, and solves the playoff access issue.

And hell, who cares about poaching now? You've got 24 teams in a conference! I hope the Big ACC gets poached! Let Duke and Georgia Tech go to the Big Ten. Let Virginia Tech and UNC go to the SEC. Get this behemoth of a league down to a relatively manageable 16-18 members and go from there.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Currently, the Big 12 is stuck with three bad-to-risky options. 1) Stay at 10 forever, potentially upsetting Oklahoma and others and driving them to another conference once the GOR expires; 2) Expand by two or four teams with some of the stronger options from non-P5 conferences, diluting the Big 12 in terms of conference strength, potentially becoming the new Big East/AAC; 3) Hold at 10 for now, wait to see what the ACC does with their conference network and see if the Big 12 can potentially poach any teams if the ACC becomes unstable.

These aren't great options. Even the "strongest" move from a national perspective doesn't really solve any of the Big 12's underlying issues, it just adds a few more mediocre teams to the league. The two main drivers of conference realignment are money and prestige. Money, in terms of TV rights. Prestige, in terms of playoff access. There's five conferences fighting for four playoff spots.

The Big 12 is trying to solve their problems by patching over the larger issues. Adding Cinci and UConn isn't suddenly going to raise the Big 12's profile to SEC/Big Ten level. Both of those leagues have conference networks with major media networks promoting their agenda. The Big 12 and ACC don't have that kind of backing, and internal politics are making each conference unstable and ripe for poaching as we approach the endgame, which is four power conferences with guaranteed playoff spots.

If the Big 12 really wants to stop the constant realignment talk, they need to stop thinking small. The only way to win this game is to preemptively get to four power conferences by merging with the ACC. It's a 24 team super-conference, and yeah, it's insane and unwieldy. Each team may only play another team from another division twice a decade. It's not college football that we grew up on. But merging the two most unstable P5 conferences delivers the geographic reach and population for a conference network to get on the level of the SEC/Big Ten/Pac 12, and solves the playoff access issue.

And hell, who cares about poaching now? You've got 24 teams in a conference! I hope the Big ACC gets poached! Let Duke and Georgia Tech go to the Big Ten. Let Virginia Tech and UNC go to the SEC. Get this behemoth of a league down to a relatively manageable 16-18 members and go from there.

I am intrigued by a Big 12-ACC merger. Pull Louisville and Pittsburgh over to our side and then divvy up each group of 12 into two 6 team divisions. Try to get the NCAA on board for two conference semifinal games between division winners before a conference championship game as well. Have a 23 game (or 24 game if Notre Dame comes along) basketball schedule.

If Iowa State finishes first in a division with Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia, then the Cyclones are playing in the conference semifinal game. That would be exciting

Last edited: