Kirk Bohls: Big 12 expansion likely

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
No reason for it not to be UConn, Cincy, or Memphis. Guessing the Longhorn state folks will push for Houston as well

Waiting to see if any big ACC schools want to jump is the smartest move though

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I posted this in the NFL draft thread, but I think it's worth pointing out that the Big 12 finished 5th in number of players drafted - worst in the Power 5. In fact, the two newest members of the conference (TCU and WVU) tied for second place with most draft picks selected. The Big 12 team with the most picks was Baylor.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/30/11545956/nfl-draft-2016-ohio-state-alabama-

Expanding the conference needs to also expand the talent pool, because having the flagship programs of Texas and Oklahoma combine to only have 5 players selected this draft is embarrassing.

Expansion candidates and 2016 NFL draft selections:

9 players drafted - Clemson (#2 overall behind tOSU)

7 players - Notre Dame

3 players - Boise State, Houston, Temple

2 players - Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado State, Florida State

1 player - BYU, Louisville, Memphis, Pitt

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I posted this in the NFL draft thread, but I think it's worth pointing out that the Big 12 finished 5th in number of players drafted - worst in the Power 5. In fact, the two newest members of the conference (TCU and WVU) tied for second place with most draft picks selected. The Big 12 team with the most picks was Baylor.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/30/11545956/nfl-draft-2016-ohio-state-alabama-

Expanding the conference needs to also expand the talent pool, because having the flagship programs of Texas and Oklahoma combine to only have 5 players selected this draft is embarrassing.

7 players - Notre Dame

Hey you've convinced me, I guess we can let Notre Dame and Clemson in, tired of them knocking on the door all of the time asking.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Exactly! Be bold!

I can't believe the fans that actually want to continue to wait...it is unbelievable to me...do you all realize that if expansion doesn't happen and soon that OU and hence Okie st are gone..gone..gone..and the conf is gone with Isu begging and praying for the BIg to let us in last. I'd say the odds of this conf dissolving are about 20-30% right now...so I'm saying there is a 20-30% chance Isu will actually be playing Northern Illinois every year!!! In the MaC folks!

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN

7 players - Notre Dame

i would say average is more valuable number than total number of players drafted due to different number of teams in each conference. In that case big 12 is pretty much tied for 3rd with pac 12. It would also be nice to see what these numbers look like for tha last 5-10 years to get a better understanding.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
i would say average is more valuable number than total number of players drafted due to different number of teams in each conference. In that case big 12 is pretty much tied for 3rd with pac 12. It would also be nice to see what these numbers look like for tha last 5-10 years to get a better understanding.

Right after the draft, I saw numbers since 2012, and it wasn't pretty for the B12. Clearly the 5th worst in the Power 5 on a per team and total NFL draft pick basis.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
NFL Players per team on opening week last September:

Big 12 Schools
Oklahoma 30
Texas 27
West Virginia 17
Okie State 12
TCU 12
Baylor 8
Kansas State 8
Kansas 7
Texas Tech 7
ISU 5

Schools discussed in this thread:
Uconn 17
Boise State 12
Cincinnati 12
Central Florida 10
Memphis 8
Colorado State 7
BYU 7
Northern Illinois 4

If you measure football quality by NFL players Uconn, Boise, Cincinnati and Central Florida all are above the middle of current Big 12 Schools. I am not saying this is the measure to look at but it does go to show that the football quality in these schools isn't a drain on big 12.

LSU, Miami, Alabama, Georgia and USC are top 5

Last edited:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
NFL Players per team on opening week last September:

Big 12 Schools
Oklahoma 30
Texas 27
West Virginia 17
Okie State 12
TCU 12
Baylor 8
Kansas State 8
Kansas 7
Texas Tech 7
ISU 5

Schools discussed in this thread:
Uconn 17
Boise State 12
Cincinnati 12
Central Florida 10
Memphis 8
Colorado State 7
BYU 7
Northern Illinois 4

If you measure football quality by NFL players Uconn, Boise, Cincinnati and Central Florida all are above the middle of current Big 12 Schools. I am not saying this is the measure to look at but it does go to show that the football quality in these schools isn't a drain on big 12.

LSU, Miami, Alabama, Georgia and USC are top 5

Didn't realize UConn had that many guys in the NFL.

Combine that with the fact that UConn has 4 NCAA tournament titles in the last 17 years while the entire Big 12 has one in that same time frame, and the fact that adding UConn might help with Big 12 coverage on ESPN due to Bristol proximity, and it seems like UConn should be a no-brainer addition for the conference

Add Cincinnati and UConn and call it a day

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Story that moved earlier today — ABC: 10 candidates Big 12 should consider

Nothing truly new in it, the typical candidates and pros/cons. But it's well-organized, and unlike some roundups includes pretty much every viable possibility (outside of dream-poaching).

That's a depressing article. This conference isn't going to survive. Mistake after mistake will lead to the end.

The only hope is if the TV networks want the league to live. Otherwise it's going to be another "head for the lifeboats" era for the conference

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I can't believe the fans that actually want to continue to wait...it is unbelievable to me...do you all realize that if expansion doesn't happen and soon that OU and hence Okie st are gone..gone..gone..and the conf is gone with Isu begging and praying for the BIg to let us in last. I'd say the odds of this conf dissolving are about 20-30% right now...so I'm saying there is a 20-30% chance Isu will actually be playing Northern Illinois every year!!! In the MaC folks!

So expansion keeps OU in? They will sign a GoR extension?

1. This league is done at the end of the GoR
2. Adding G5s only makes it tougher for ISU at the end of the GoR
3. I have faith that our AD has a plan B. If you think we're a MAC program/school that's a YOU problem, we're not.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I would vote for Cincy and Memphis/UCONN this go around. If we go to 14, grab the other of UCONN/Memphis and maybe BYU.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Skip 12 and head straight to 14. Go big or go home. Looks more like a power move.

WEST
Baylor
BYU
Colorado State
OU
Okie Lite
Tech
Texa$

EAST
Cincy
ISU
KU
KSU
Memphis
TCU
WVU

On the condition BYU is football only. Screw their Sunday scheduling headaches.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If this conference dissolves with the current ten members, there will be a home in one of the other P5 conferences for ISU. If we add G5 schools and the big boys later leave the Big 12, then the Big 12 will become a G5 and ISU will be stuck there.

DO NOT EXPAND. EXPANSION IS VERY BAD FOR ISU.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
If this conference dissolves with the current ten members, there will be a home in one of the other P5 conferences for ISU. If we add G5 schools and the big boys later leave the Big 12, then the Big 12 will become a G5 and ISU will be stuck there.

I think you are trying to pass your opinion off as fact. How are you so confident if the Big 12 dissolves there will be a spot for ISU in a P5?

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

How do you know that ISU will remain in a P5 if the Big 12 collapses? The last time this was a possibility, ISU and the leftovers were destined for the Big East.

If Big 12 were to lose TU and/or OU and their friends, would you rather be in a Big 12 with the leftovers plus the possible candidates or would you rather have ISU in the AAU/CUSA/MAC/MWC?