COLUMN: Hire Seneca and Sage as assistants

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Absolutely, young, love ISU, know the QB position, and played in the NFL. Would kill it on the recruiting trail.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Easy to like the thought of this, but the real question comes down to how much they're willing to give from a time standpoint. Beyond the practice and game planning, recruiting has to take a ton of time, and I doubt they're devoting that kind of time to their current jobs. That certainly doesn't mean they can't/won't do it, but they'd really have to commit before a HC should even consider them. In addition, I assume they wouldn't have many warm HS connections, so the rest of staff would be that much more important. I don't see hiring two folks in this category - maybe one.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
i love the idea. both have been around a lot of coaches with his playing career, know a lot about the position, could carry some weight in the recruiting part of things and are great ambassadors for the university!!

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
so Chris has advocated keeping Ayeni, Shane Burnham, Sturdy and hiring Sage and Seneca. Does the new head coach get to bring anyone with him?

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Both seem like good guys to have around. With only a handful of available paid, full time assistant coaching jobs available it is tough for me to put someone in one of those roles who hasn't coached before. How about a spot on the player development staff as a good place for them to start? Not sure either would work for pay that low.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If it's Brian, he will bring someone to fill out the free govt housing grants. Paw told him $4MM ain't what it seems.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
so Chris has advocated keeping Ayeni, Shane Burnham, Sturdy and hiring Sage and Seneca. Does the new head coach get to bring anyone with him?
DC???

I would take Austin Flynn from Grandview. He has experience as an OC, at least.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Entertaining to read, but risky in practice. I love the NFL bona fides that the two would bring to the table and I think they'd be excellent recruiters if they were willing to completely throw themselves into the job. But whoever the new coach is has to be given the opportunity to build his own staff and put his personal stamp on the program. Bringing back two of the most popular Cyclone athletes to ever pass through Ames might not be the best way to do that.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I don't get this. CW is usually more on point than most of the posters here. But a bunch of posters would love to see a staff filled with former players who've never coached a day in their lives, and I think that's a good way to go 0-12.

Why would a new coach hire two guys who have never coached before to join their staff? They would be less qualified than the jags that Chizik hired to fill his staff, but it's all OK because they used to play in the cardinal and gold?

Just not on board with this idea at all. Bring one on as a GA and I'd take it; anything more would be a stretch at best.