Shoes on or off?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Do you take your shoes off when you enter homes?

In Western Alaska, it is common place to take your shoes off when entering a home. It is too snowy during most of the winter and too muddy or dusty during most of the summer to wear your shoes around the house. And from a convenience point of view, it just doesn't take very long to take off one's shoes.

For those of you that don't take your shoes off, why don't you? Do you see wearing shoes as a necessary part of being presentable, like wearing shirts and pants? Is going barefoot akin to walking around shirtless, or walking around with your fly unzipped?

Just curious.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Most of my friends (here in Ames) want people to take their shoes off to protect their carpet. I usually remember, or they polietly ask me to take them off.

As far as being presentable with shoes, I usually end up with them off at work too.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Shoes are uncomfortable for me, so I always take them off when possible.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I've seen it go both ways... usually I'll take mine off unless my host doesn't and/or I don't plan to stay long

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I went for about a year without wearing shoes... I flip flopped it, because I hated wearing shoes and I liked to be able to throw them on on my way out the door.

Wasn't too bad for the most part... except when I'd have to walk through a snow bank to lock up my bike :elvis:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Hey, my feet could breath so it's not like they stunk, though they did get very rough for a while... I was starting to wonder what I could do about my feet looking so bad, then I wore shoes for a week (completely unrelated) and they went back to being smooth. I was a little disturbed

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
New carpet is being installed next Thursday, so beginning next Thursday we will be a Shoe Off home. At least for the first day or two.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Instantly take my shoes off - even if the host leaves theirs on or tells me not to worry about it. Mostly because it irks me when people leave theirs on at my home.

Last edited:

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I'd say it's common courtesy to take your shoes off at someone else's house, unless they tell you that you can leave them on. I always take mine off, even at home, but I think it's as much habit as anything at this point.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I hate having shoes on. In the summer I go barefoot as much as possible. When entering another persons house, I definitely take them off as courtesy.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I always take them off in someone else's place, and most of the time in my own unless I won't be there long. I have an absurd hatred of bare feet, so I never wear sandals and I can't stand looking at bare feet. I always have socks on unless I'm sleeping or in the shower or pool. I'm not sure what it is...something about feet just creeps me out. They're funny looking.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Definitely take them off unless asked not to. I figure if the floor is clean, my feet and socks stay clean.

That is good logic...I mean it. With the sort of stuff people walk on outside (here in Chicago), I definitely want shoes off.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron