Rhoads seems to barely be able to credit Lanning...

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Did anybody else hear one of the defensive players in the postgame radio show say something like, "If only the offense scored more. If they had scored 35-40 points, we already had us in the game." haha

Shots fired from the defense finally. It sounded like the whole team was relieved that Lanning did well. Specially the receivers.

Lol! The D was ok, but they still gave up 45 points in crappy conditions. They need to play better than that if they are going to start **** talking the offense in the media. They've still got plenty to worry about on their side of the ball.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
From the Ames Tribune:

'Rhoads credited some of the Cyclones' offensive success to Lanning, but not all of it'...

CPR:
"You can credit a player, but he wasn't blocking for the guy who was carrying the ball and he wasn't running the football and he wasn't catching the football that he was throwing - "but he performed very well."

I also noticed after the Bundrage TD - Rhoads was over giving Bundrage hugs/props and basically ignored Lanning. (at least I didn't see anything)

Must be a burr under CPR's saddle to see Lanning lead the team and get in the end zone.

Dear CPR:

So when SR is in the game the guys quit blocking, the WR's quit catching the ball, and the RB's quit running????

Good grief. You substitued ONE Player......the QB......and our offense showed signs of life and having a pulse for a change. SR had a QB rating of .1. .1...........as close to zero as you can get.

Reactions: CyBobby

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Of course. Giving credit to Lanning would be admitting you've got it wrong all year.

Giving credit to the guy blocking for the guy who was carrying the ball, giving credit to the guy running the football, and giving credit to the guy catching the football --- these are all guys Rhoads has played all season long. So of course he's going to highlight how great they are.

It is possible that the coaches are right and Lanning wasn't ready earlier in the season and it is just possible he may have improved since then.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Now I didn't see the way he said it so maybe there is something there but what Rhoads said is normal. I think your love of Lanning or hatred of Rhoads is getting in the way of reality.
Please go back and find all of my posts stating my love for Lanning and my hatred for Rhoads.
You won't find many, if any?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It is possible that the coaches are right and Lanning wasn't ready earlier in the season and it is just possible he may have improved since then.

And Sam has also been playing the worst football of his career the past couple of games. And Baylor didn't have film on Lanning other than the wildcat package. Lanning played a good game yesterday after coming in for an atrocious Richardson. But we've seen this play out many times under Rhoads. I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll be any different this time.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
It's the way he said "he wasn't..." A better way to compliment everybody involved is just say something like this, "Lanning performed very well, so did the OL, RB's and WR's." The way he did it was scornful and unprofessional towards Lanning.
well put. That makes three games in a row of crappy post game comments. I would expect better thought out comments from a high school coach.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Please go back and find all of my posts stating my love for Lanning and my hatred for Rhoads.
You won't find many, if any?

I'm just saying that this is not something to get worked up about. Most coaches have said the same thing. It isn't a slam against anyone it is a praise for everyone.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think the majority of college and pro head coaches have HUGE egos. Surprise, surprise.

Look at Ferentz over in IC last year. CJ Beathard was heads and shoulders better than Rudock, but KF stuck with Rudock basically all year because that was his guy that he decided should be the starter last year. Coaches have egos and are stubborn. Playing CJ this year was ok because it was KF's decision to play him, and not pressure from the fans or media. Coaches do not want it to look like they were wrong and the fans and media were right.

So Rhoads really doesn't want to see Lanning come in and play lights out when Rhoads himself basically said he wasn't ready this year. That makes him look bad. So if Lanning does come in and play well, Rhoads is going to give the credit elsewhere.

But I'm sorry, the rest of the team did not play any better for Lanning than they did for Richardson. Lanning just made more plays, made better decisions, and was able to move the ball. Rhoads just will not be able to admit it I'm afraid.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
well put. That makes three games in a row of crappy post game comments. I would expect better thought out comments from a high school coach.

I'm sure the man is frustrated with the record. He's a competitor, but he's also the leader of the program (or should be).

We made fun of Mac for his "winning the second half" comments, but he grasped for positivity. After the comments last week about not really knowing why Lanning didn't play more and his somewhat abrasive comments this week it makes me question his leadership a littile

Reactions: CyBobby

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
rs_500x242-130922180824-tumblr_mtjzsgkZEI1ql7ajgo1_500_zpsf83bbe27.gif

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
From the Ames Tribune:

'Rhoads credited some of the Cyclones' offensive success to Lanning, but not all of it'...

CPR:
"You can credit a player, but he wasn't blocking for the guy who was carrying the ball and he wasn't running the football and he wasn't catching the football that he was throwing - "but he performed very well."

I also noticed after the Bundrage TD - Rhoads was over giving Bundrage hugs/props and basically ignored Lanning. (at least I didn't see anything)

Must be a burr under CPR's saddle to see Lanning lead the team and get in the end zone.

Stop reaching. Why would Rhoads not support Lanning? This is such a dumb post. Rhoads giving credit to other offensive players (as well as Lanning) means he doesn't like Lanning? Did Lanning also cause hte defense to start playing?

Rhoas has always shown a willingness to try a new QB. Many fans in the past have argues that he switched QB's too much. All of a sudden you think he has some undying loyalty to Richardson that would cause him to hope Lanning fails? Do you know how incredibly stupid that sounds? Just stop.

Stop trying to create a rift between the players and the coaches. There isn't one. The players love Rhoads.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Stop reaching. Why would Rhoads not support Lanning? This is such a dumb post. Rhoads giving credit to other offensive players (as well as Lanning) means he doesn't like Lanning? Did Lanning also cause hte defense to start playing?

Rhoas has always shown a willingness to try a new QB. Many fans in the past have argues that he switched QB's too much. All of a sudden you think he has some undying loyalty to Richardson that would cause him to hope Lanning fails? Do you know how incredibly stupid that sounds? Just stop.

Stop trying to create a rift between the players and the coaches. There isn't one. The players love Rhoads.

Makes me think a little. Like I said, I'm sure there has been a Lanning/SR divide in the locker room all year.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008

It's not the message but how he said it.

Of course many of us are biased against Rhoads and no longer give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to what he does. Or what he says.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009

This.

Do you really thing the coaches are not going to play the players that give them the best chance to win. I am glad Lanning played well. Doesn't mean earlier in the year that he would have given us the best chance to win.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
"Thank god we finally put Sam Richardson on the bench. Clearly he was the reason the whole team was struggling in the first half. We are looking forward to starting a competent quarterback next week with Joel Lanning and we can finally starting winning some games. I just wish I would have gotten on cyclone fanatic earlier in the year and gotten some quality coaching info," says Paul Rhoads to please the fans.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This.

Do you really thing the coaches are not going to play the players that give them the best chance to win. I am glad Lanning played well. Doesn't mean earlier in the year that he would have given us the best chance to win.

I don't think it's unreasonable to question a coaching staff that has gone 7-33 over the past 40's ability to make the correct call as to which players actually give them the best chance to win. Just because they think the are playing those players doesn't mean they are.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This.

If it is their decision, yes. But if it looks at all like they are caving into the wishes and demands of the fans and media, then they will not make the change. Too stubborn and arrogant IMO. But they aren't alone... most coaches are this way.

Last edited:

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
This.

So Lanning suddenly got ready at half time of the Baylor game, but wasn't ready for six and a half games?