Rhoads seems to barely be able to credit Lanning...

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
Rhoads seems barely able to credit Lanning...

From the Ames Tribune:

'Rhoads credited some of the Cyclones' offensive success to Lanning, but not all of it'...

CPR:
"You can credit a player, but he wasn't blocking for the guy who was carrying the ball and he wasn't running the football and he wasn't catching the football that he was throwing - "but he performed very well."

I also noticed after the Bundrage TD - Rhoads was over giving Bundrage hugs/props and basically ignored Lanning. (at least I didn't see anything)

Must be a burr under CPR's saddle to see Lanning lead the team and get in the end zone.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Ya I agree it's freaking weird. I'm assuming there's a SR faction and a Lanning faction and has been all season.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
"You can credit a player, but he wasn't blocking for the guy who was carrying the ball and he wasn't running the football and he wasn't catching the football that he was throwing

Sounds true to me. Could be giving some credit to the guys who are blocking, running, and catching. This board has gone full Lanningmania in the last day. He played well but so did others. Maybe that was Rhoads' point.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Sounds true to me. How about some credit to the guys who are blocking, running, and catching. This board has gone full Lanningmania in the last day. He played well but so did others. Maybe that was Rhoads' point.

This coaching staff would be going full Lanningmania if they thought there was any chance they would be around next year. Sour grapes.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Sounds true to me. Could be giving some credit to the guys who are blocking, running, and catching. This board has gone full Lanningmania in the last day. He played well but so did others. Maybe that was Rhoads' point.
It's the way he said "he wasn't..." A better way to compliment everybody involved is just say something like this, "Lanning performed very well, so did the OL, RB's and WR's." The way he did it was scornful and unprofessional towards Lanning.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ya I agree it's freaking weird. I'm assuming there's a SR faction and a Lanning faction and has been all season.

Successful coaches and GMs don't get pulled into that ego garbage. It's true in just about any field. Changing your mind when you get new information is a strength, not a weakness.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
There are so many good reasons to dislike Rhoads' coaching, but a statement where he said Lanning "performed very well" is not one of them.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There are so many good reasons to dislike Rhoads' coaching, but a statement where he said Lanning "performed very well" is not one of them.

You gotta admit last week was really really weird though. Not only in that Lanning got benched after his 1/1 1TD performance but that he got scolded to the media afterward. Sam intentionally fumbled in the same game and then jumped on his own intentional fumble, missed where that play got called out as a mistake by coach.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Maybe the others have been playing well this whole time but you'd never notice because Sam R was effing it all up?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
You gotta admit last week was really really weird though. Not only in that Lanning got benched after his 1/1 1TD performance but that he got scolded to the media afterward. Sam intentionally fumbled in the same game and then jumped on his own intentional fumble, missed where that play got called out as a mistake by coach.

A week ago it sounded like Rhoads was unhappy with the decision not to play Lanning more against TCU. That didn't appear to be Rhoads' call.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Of course. Giving credit to Lanning would be admitting you've got it wrong all year.

Giving credit to the guy blocking for the guy who was carrying the ball, giving credit to the guy running the football, and giving credit to the guy catching the football --- these are all guys Rhoads has played all season long. So of course he's going to highlight how great they are.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's the way he said "he wasn't..." A better way to compliment everybody involved is just say something like this, "Lanning performed very well, so did the OL, RB's and WR's." The way he did it was scornful and unprofessional towards Lanning.

This. You don't have to downplay Lanning's performance, which CPR seems to go out of his way to do, to compliment the whole offense. But is it surprising in the least? It's not to me. Every QB has had their confidence eroded the longer they spend under CPR. You just wonder what kind of **** he is saying behind closed doors to these guys.

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

Now I didn't see the way he said it so maybe there is something there but what Rhoads said is normal. I think your love of Lanning or hatred of Rhoads is getting in the way of reality.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. There wasn't anything non-factual about what Rhoads said, and it is good to make sure the whole team gets credit for what was a team performance. But as usual Rhoads said it in a much more abrasive fashion than need be.

Enjoy the Paul Rhoads Starting Quarterback Experience (TM) Joel, try not to get too broken and shellshocked before the end of the season.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Did anybody else hear one of the defensive players in the postgame radio show say something like, "If only the offense scored more. If they had scored 35-40 points, we already had us in the game." haha

Shots fired from the defense finally. It sounded like the whole team was relieved that Lanning did well. Specially the receivers.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Did anybody else hear one of the defensive players in the postgame radio show say something like, "If only the offense scored more. If they had scored 35-40 points, we already had us in the game." haha

Shots fired from the defense finally. It sounded like the whole team was relieved that Lanning did well. Specially the receivers.

I heard that to. I think it was Tribune.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Lanning played >>>>> SR. That was the difference for game change. Does look like sour grapes of Sam vs Joel with Paul. Guess current head coach can do that.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. There wasn't anything non-factual about what Rhoads said, and it is good to make sure the whole team gets credit for what was a team performance. But as usual Rhoads said it in a much more abrasive fashion than need be.

Enjoy the Paul Rhoads Starting Quarterback Experience (TM) Joel, try not to get too broken and shellshocked before the end of the season.

Rhoads must be speaking from another time zone.