Let's have a serious discussion about CPR

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
A big problem that I see under Rhoads is that the key skill position players on offense, namely QB and WR (and RB to a bit lesser extent), never really improve much over their careers at ISU. QBs struggle with the same problems throughout their career. WRs can never seem to get consistent separation, or can never run consistent mid length routes that get them open.

I was at Boykin's first game as a TCU starter (which was a nice victory for ISU). He looked absolutely terrible, and was for a good part of that first year. Basically all he could do was run around. Now he is a Heisman candidate. Yeah, I'm sure some of that is talent/athletic ability, but I would suspect that a significant contributor to his improvement came from proper coaching.

Maybe instead of building more stuff, ISU needs to set up a FB coaching endowment for the skill position coaches, so they can afford to get some coaches that can teach the offensive skill positions. I don't know if this just isn't a priority for Rhoads, but ISU just seems to be struggling with these positions way too much for way too long.

Last edited:

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Also, we don't know how Iowa's season will be. In the wide open division that is the Big10 West, they may very well end up in Indy.

And at that point...I'd probably have to root for them to beat Ohio State. :unsure:
I agree with you on this. The Big 10 west is wide open and this Iowa team could very well be in the mix. And with Toledo coming off a big win in Fayette-nam, we will be fortunate if they show up at the Glass Bowl with swollen heads. An ISU win would be awesome, but should not be expected. CPR's 2015 edition is improved greatly over 2014, but it may not be reflected in terms of W's. Increasing coach turnover is not going to help.

Recovering from the wake of all the negative vibes following the Big 12 realignment chaos is taking years. It is similar to recovering from NCAA penalties, only worse since it directly impacts recruiting. Losing Tom Herman in the same timeframe was also a big deal. SBR is our first 5th year QB since Austin Arnaud, but like Austin, has had to survive 3 offensive coaching philosophies. You need to hold that stuff still in order to incubate the talent. For instance, next year, we might have a 2nd 5th year QB, but with 3 years under Mangino. The year following we may have a 5th year QB with 4 years under Mangino. Remember that KU peaked 6 years into his coaching regime, so these things take time.

I think the recovery will mostly be about offense. Aside from that, special teams are competent, and Wally can sew together a defense given reasonable talent. So I say stay the course, and you will see better offense, and eventually more Ws. ... hopefully before Wally resembles Master Yoda.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Last year before the season started the offense was working on things in one of their practices. This was a timed portion of the practice. Apparently the offense was struggling to understand parts of the offense. Mangino told them to line up and do it again, trying to use it as a teaching moment. Mangino and Rhoads got into it because Rhoads would not let him. Rhoads told him to move on. IMO that is poor on Rhoads.

REmember last season when Rhoads and Mangino got into on the sidelines? Mangino had sent out the offense to go for a 4th and 1. Rhoads was ticked off and called the offense off the field.

You have questions about why the offense is as it is, I am trying to give you examples.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
There has always been this discussion about CPR being too involved in the offense. Maybe he is just a straight up terrible game day planner and needs to let his coaches coach and plan without him. He is a great asset in the public and for fundraising. Let him manage the team like a GM would and then get out of the way of the coaches he is hiring.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Last year before the season started the offense was working on things in one of their practices. This was a timed portion of the practice. Apparently the offense was struggling to understand parts of the offense. Mangino told them to line up and do it again, trying to use it as a teaching moment. Mangino and Rhoads got into it because Rhoads would not let him. Rhoads told him to move on. IMO that is poor on Rhoads.

REmember last season when Rhoads and Mangino got into on the sidelines? Mangino had sent out the offense to go for a 4th and 1. Rhoads was ticked off and called the offense off the field.

You have questions about why the offense is as it is, I am trying to give you examples.

If that is the case Mangino will be outta here after his contract ends this winter. Tommy will follow and Sturdy will be promoted to OC. Blaney will leave too and Mangino will pick up a HC job probably at another dumpster fire; maybe Illinois. Even though Illinois looks remarkably good this year considering; they would probably smoke us. I only say that because we probably have set the record for 3 and outs In one half after yesterday.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
When a school like ISU doesn't have the money to give a coach a decent salary, they offer them extra time to ride out a bad year or two as an alternative to the extra money. We've made our bed, now we have to lie in it. Only a major abandonment from fans or collapse of recruiting like we saw with McCarney would matter at this point. Neither of these things are good for the health of the program overall.

HickoryPuke

Dec 6, 2014
I always thought Rhoads was a puppet coach like Paterno was in his twilight. I can't seem him orchestrating many moves when he and his headset boy chase the refs around all game.

He is also about as well spoken as porky the pig during press events (stuttering, "uh"). He just doesn't come off as bright guy. Did you ever have that enthusiastic boss that worked hard but didn't bring a lot to the table as far as the brain department goes? (think Michael Scott) I think that's what we've got going with Coach Paul.

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
He is not going anywhere unless the Reimans say it's ok. They are CPR fans and stroked a massive check to prove it and their support of him.

This. People can talk all they want about when to fire CPR but nothing happens without our 2 largest boosters saying it's ok.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This. People can talk all they want about when to fire CPR but nothing happens without our 2 largest boosters BEING WILLING TO WRITE MULTI MILLION DOLLAR SETTLEMENT CHECKS TO COACHES THEY NO LONGER WISH TO HAVE ASSOCIATED WITH THEIR FAVORITE PROGRAM.

fify.

HickoryPuke

Dec 6, 2014
This. People can talk all they want about when to fire CPR but nothing happens without our 2 largest boosters saying it's ok.

Mr. Leath may start showing up around the athletic department once that stadium is half empty on Saturdays.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Just remember it's not always greener on the other side. I'm frustrated like a lot of fans but hiring a football coach at ISU is a crap shoot. It's just not a destination for a long period for most coaches and the ones who truly want to be here aren't all that successful.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
And...firing CPR and hiring a new coach you can kiss the 2016 class goodbye along with what will be more than usual attrition. So you can prob not count on even coming close to a winning season until prob 2018.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I always thought Rhoads was a puppet coach like Paterno was in his twilight. I can't seem him orchestrating many moves when he and his headset boy chase the refs around all game.

He is also about as well spoken as porky the pig during press events (stuttering, "uh"). He just doesn't come off as bright guy. Did you ever have that enthusiastic boss that worked hard but didn't bring a lot to the table as far as the brain department goes? (think Michael Scott) I think that's what we've got going with Coach Paul.

Most would say Rhoads has a much higher than average IQ. He graduated valedictorian at Ankeny HS (highest GPA). He has a Bachelors in Economics along with a Masters degree. Having a speech impediment does not make you stupid.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
If the mark is 4 then we need to fire JP. I don't expect us to go to a bowl every year but I also shouldn't be expected to pay to watch losing football year after year. I wonder how much longer it'll be before fans stop showing up.
We have peaked in attendance numbers for this year, there will not be another sellout, so October 3rd is your answer.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
And...firing CPR and hiring a new coach you can kiss the 2016 class goodbye along with what will be more than usual attrition. So you can prob not count on even coming close to a winning season until prob 2018.

So essentially the same boat we are in now?

I wonder if most people would be upset losing what will probably be the #9 recruiting class in the Big 12 and maybe #70 nationally. I am up for the crap shoot, we can't sink much lower.

Reactions: CyBobby