Let's have a serious discussion about CPR

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Re-rolling those dice costs a little more than your typical game of craps. Who's gonna keep paying for buy-outs?

First, we are talking about 7 years. That isnt exactly rapidly rolling. Second, don't get yourself into such buyout situations. If another place wants to overvalue your coach or jump the gun on him, you need to be willing to walk.

And there are a lot of better, cheaper coaches out there then what we have got. Just takes JP looking at the right factors.

Spam

May 21, 2008
We have to give Rhoads a pass next year because we'll have a new QB.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
He needed to go last year. Unfortunately JP made a dumb move and signed him to a contract we may not be able to afford to buy out. Looks like we are stuck with CPR for a few more tears.

.....sigh......

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm not going to get into this discussion much over the next few months because it's futile and people have made up their minds but I will say two things:

1. Trying to project a season based on a rivalry game is really stupid
2. I hope we either win 3 or 7 games because I can't even stand to go to games anymore and listen to the fans around me.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I saw at least one person say it but I am going to continue, who are we going to get that will be better than Rhoads? Even if we do, they won't stick around long if they are somewhat successful (IE 2 years of 5-6 win seasons). ISU is not, and never will be, a destination job for 99% of coaches. Rhoads is in that 1% that will stay here.

We would be damn lucky if we could get a coach that would be sought out by other schools. Its usually a great problem to have as it means youve had some success. Losing Fred sucks, but i dont see anyone regretting hiring him because he moved on.

The last few seasons have sucked but a lot of it was because of the Messingham promotion. We have the right staff in place and we are getting better.
Citation needed. We've had 3 wins then 2 wins the last 2 seasons, and its not looking like our offense is going to be markedly improved this year.
That is all we can ask as fans. I don't know about the rest of you but yesterday was a fun game! It definitely would have been more fun if we had won but newsflash, the season isn't over. We still have 10 games left and if the ball goes our way this year, unlike last year, we still have a good shot at making a bowl.

We have 10 games left, but this was probably one of the easier ones.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I'm not going to get into this discussion much over the next few months because it's futile and people have made up their minds but I will say two things:

2. I hope we either win 3 or 7 games because I can't even stand to go to games anymore and listen to the fans around me.

It is very stupid to think this is based on one game. Did you not watch the previous 2.5 years (and there were red flags from almost as soon as he was hired)? At this point CPR teams will be incompetent until proven otherwise. So far 0-2.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
With their schedule anything is possible, but if they do end up in Indy another humiliating loss will bring hawk fans back down to reality the way USC did in the Orange Bowl a decade or so ago.

Until they finished in the top 10 the next two seasons then won the Orange Bowl a few years later. (I feel like I'm reminded of this on a daily basis)

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
And...firing CPR and hiring a new coach you can kiss the 2016 class goodbye along with what will be more than usual attrition. So you can prob not count on even coming close to a winning season until prob 2018.

Using this theory you never ever fire a coach. Even if he's 0-12 every year. Wouldn't want to hurt recruiting or have attrition.

And why would we want everyone to stay if we only win 3-4 games? And our whopping 5 commits have a whole 2 power 5 offers between them other than ISU. Wouldn't want to lose those guys.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
If I were the AD I'd be looking at the 6 win mark. But I'm not. I suspect the guy who is the AD is looking at the 4 win mark.

I think the AD is most concerned with having a full stadium. If the fans keep coming along with the losses, he stays. If the fans quit coming due to losses, Rhoads will be let go. Or, maybe he turns it around and there is no decision to make.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

As Swarthmore said, the prevailing opinion isn't based solely on the Hok game. I base my doubts about success this season based upon this game and the UNI game. Yes, we won by a lot - but it showed us that the Defense was a whole lot better, but the offense still SUCKS - even though it is the most experienced and supposedly has the most talent. Run blocking, lack of WR separation / good route-running, and slow (poor?) decision-making out of the QB continues to plague our team. I hope I eat crow and we somehow get these issues fixed / show major improvements, but recent history has shown me nothing to make me see this season in an optimistic light. Amazing how KSU (a team I totally despise, btw) has sometimes looked poor in the first couple of games, but suddenly become Big XII contenders toward the middle of the season. THAT IS COACHING - and we lack it on the offensive side of the ball.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
All you need to do is look at the headset/radio guy next to CPR. Rhoads is so inept that he can't even put the headset on his ******* hip. What a waste of time and energy for that poor graduate assistant that spends the entire game day carrying around a ******* headset.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All you need to do is look at the headset/radio guy next to CPR. Rhoads is so inept that he can't even put the headset on his ******* hip. What a waste of time and energy for that poor graduate assistant that spends the entire game day carrying around a ******* headset.

Far from the only coach doing this. Pretty sure Harbaugh had some kid doing it last Saturday also

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
A loss to Toledo and one of my feet goes over the "fire Rhoads" line.

A loss to KU and we might as well close up the stadium for the season if nothing is done.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron