Vasectomy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That is interesting. I think u may have missed the pun in my statement.

No, I got it. I just want to put your mind at ease that the most uncomfortable part of my surgical experience had nothing to do with the actual surgery. If you go no-scalpel, have a competent doctor and follow the post surgery directions you generally will have a pretty easy experience. There are rare complications, but again, they are rare.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I actually might enjoy my return trip to the doc then.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Either lend a hand or go away!

That's funny. I asked my wife to help out too and she laughed, rolled her eyes and walked away. Then when I get home after the test she's pulls off a surprise party for me. It must have guilted her into it.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
A lot of sage advice. Approaching the one year post procedure. If you look on the web you will see probably more horror stories than not. From what I found, there were two camps that I could identify: 1. worst experience ever, and 2. no big deal. Contemplated the decision for some time before finally going ahead with it. Tips to consider (some may already have been mentioned):

If possible, choose the Urologist and scalpeless route. This is huge. From the data I gathered, the ones that had issues more times than not went with a GP that did things the old fashioned way (google it to see what that procedure consists of).

Go extra conservative on the local. Again, looking at others experiences, you hear about the tugging and pulling, and feeling in your stomach. Even if you can't feel the needle poke anymore, a little more to deaden the area real good will pay dividends. For mine I read a magazine the entire time of the procedure (~30 minutes) cracking jokes the entire time. Didn't feel a thing. Even had a student nurse observer that made the whole thing a little more bearable. Only thing that was a little unsettling was the smell of burning skin when they cauterized the tubes.

Wear a jockstrap (in fact buy an extra one) so you can wash one and wear one. My doctor provided me with one of them, I bought the other in addition to some boxer briefs. Support is crucial in the week or so post procedure.

Could have drove home, chose to have the wife do it. I got the pain pills and took one. Made me feel a little loopy, didn't take another one, and honestly didn't need them. Barely even took any Tylenol. Took it easy for one day and did the peas (two bags of them so you can alternate works well) and was back outside on day two staining my fence (lots of up and down leg squats) with no real pain. Some discomfort, but not unbearable.

The worst pain for me was at the site where they put the stitches in. As the skin grew back and stretched there was some discomfort with the stitches stretching with them, but once a week had passed a quick snip with a scissors made that all go away.

My doc wouldn't even take a sample until the 10 week mark. My doc said almost 50% of patients don't follow up with a sample to ensure a successful procedure. Personal choice I guess, but why risk it. And no monkey business for the first 10 days post procedure. After the 10 days, your goal is to hit your follow up sample with a "clear" mark and this could mean an increase in the frequency of your adult time to make this happen (SCORE!).

This far out now, every once in awhile I will still get a slight twinge (like someone tapped me in the area), but it is pretty rare and hardly worth mentioning.

In the end I am glad I did it. No more store bought birth control and all the hassles / complications that go with it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I like to shake your hand my good sir. Much abligded.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
That's funny. I asked my wife to help out too and she laughed, rolled her eyes and walked away. Then when I get home after the test she's pulls off a surprise party for me. It must have guilted her into it.

I considered asking the doc if a little spit in the sample was okay, thought better of it.

AllIn

Nov 28, 2013
Do it prior to a weekend, make a bag of frozen peas your best friend for 48 hours and you should be good. Had mine done 15 years ago, no performance issues :smile:

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
So my question is did you not know that you were done having kids on the last C section? Next child we have my wife will have to have a scheduled C section and we know we are done after that child so she agreed just to have her tubes tied while they are already in there and spare me the vasectomy because there is no point in both of us getting a medical procedure done if they already have to have her go under the knife and are right there to do it. I realize not everyone knows if they are done yet or knows they will have C section for their last child

I knew I was done but she wasn't sure she wanted to close that door. When the doctor asked her if she wanted her tubes tied while getting ready to cut her open she started crying and said yes. I told doctor not to and he didn't. When our last was almost 2 she realized our family was complete. Sure we could have saved a procedure but I wasn't going to make her make a decision she wasn't ready to make at a time she's already insanely emotional. Plus I got three days of no kids and lounging on the couch out of it!!!!

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Had this done on a Thursday, incredibly easy surgery. The pain consisted of the needle before the surgery and some initial pain that night. I didn't use the prescription at all and took two Tylenol before bed. On Friday, got up drove my kids to school and then got home and slept for 4 hours. After that, felt pretty good and only got better over the weekend. Make sure your doctor gives you plenty of gauze because you will need it. I just took my sample in after the two month waiting period, came back a big fat 0 in the count. I will say it was the best $10 I've ever spent at the doctors office.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Had this done on a Thursday, incredibly easy surgery. The pain consisted of the needle before the surgery and some initial pain that night. I didn't use the prescription at all and took two Tylenol before bed. On Friday, got up drove my kids to school and then got home and slept for 4 hours. After that, felt pretty good and only got better over the weekend. Make sure your doctor gives you plenty of gauze because you will need it. I just took my sample in after the two month waiting period, came back a big fat 0 in the count. I will say it was the best $10 I've ever spent at the doctors office.

Uhh, not always...I had no bleeding after I got home.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Everybody's experience is different. I see guys say they were golfing two days later or fine after the weekend. Not the case for me at all. I didn't have any complications during the procedure, scalpel free, everything went fine. But I was down for the count for no less than a week. A week later I tried some light shoveling and was grounded again for three days. Just felt like a constant graze of the nuts. Was not fun.

But I may just be a p*ss.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Everybody's experience is different. I see guys say they were golfing two days later or fine after the weekend. Not the case for me at all. I didn't have any complications during the procedure, scalpel free, everything went fine. But I was down for the count for no less than a week. A week later I tried some light shoveling and was grounded again for three days. Just felt like a constant graze of the nuts. Was not fun.

But I may just be a p*ss.

Iowa State fans have much tougher nuts from the constant abuse.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
As a 20-year old this thread is both amusing and depressing to me. Best of luck OP!

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
just-do-it-hed-2013.jpg

This is more appropriate.......

[video=youtube;nuHfVn_cfHU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU[/video]

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The worst part was having a female nurse assistant come in and having to shave the fellas. No pain, bag of ice and back to work. Very small incision with no blood.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I knew I was done but she wasn't sure she wanted to close that door. When the doctor asked her if she wanted her tubes tied while getting ready to cut her open she started crying and said yes. I told doctor not to and he didn't. When our last was almost 2 she realized our family was complete. Sure we could have saved a procedure but I wasn't going to make her make a decision she wasn't ready to make at a time she's already insanely emotional. Plus I got three days of no kids and lounging on the couch out of it!!!!

Cripes, that seems like a bad time to ask a woman a life-changing decision.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron