Starting your own business

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Dumb question but why enter into something like this that could end up costing you money when you are in such good financial shape?

What's the best case scenario if this takes off?
What's the worst case scenario if it fails?
How expensive would it be to wash your hands of the business?
Would you be ok if your business partner worked 10 hours a week and you worked 80? Vice versa?

Agreed. Sounds like if everything is perfect why take a gamble?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Ever wanted more/something different than what you have? Ever had a desire for more control? Ever wanted to off your boss?

There are countless reasons why he could want to take a "gamble."
You stated my feelings pretty well. I want to pour every ounce of passion and desire into something and have the reward be for my family and me, instead of "the man." I think the situation we're in and the fact that it's a growing city and a top 30 franchise with a < 2% failure rate make the risk worth taking.

My current job sitting in a cubicle is sucking the life out of me. I simply can't do it for 20 more years. I just can't. I've been looking for a long time and this is the first opportunity that jumped out and made me believe I could do it.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
One thing that hasn't come up is something one of our former posters would bring up when we chatted. Dual partnerships with friends have a lot of ways that they can blow up not just the business but the friendship as well.

Someone asked about uneven work hours, and that's something you'll need to address. Also, defined roles in the business would be important. How you two partners will handle future investments into the business matters, as well as worst-case planning. How do you two partners deal with the business, financials, and struggles if it falls apart?

Still worth pursuing if that's the dream and you have that stuff actually worked out (past the phrase most people use---"we'll be all right"), press on. Just keep in mind that anything involving money can destroy relationships quickly and permanently.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
While I don't own a big business or employ people, I am a self employed carpenter and and wouldn't change it for the world. Hardest part is trying to figure out what to pay for taxes (just starting out) but the best part is that I can make my own hours, dont have to deal with the normal drama that usually happens at a workplace. So being self employed back its advantages but you are going to be doing something way bigger. You have overhead, other taxes and a lot more risk. You are correct though that sometimes risks are needed to make a great reward.

Self employed as well. Basically work by myself aside from a couple friends that help out a couple times a month. Setting my own hours is probably the biggest benefit. I'm going to the fair this Friday with my niece and nephew so I'm going to work a little longer on Wednesday and Thursday. Biggest drawback (currently single) is paying health insurance.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
No worries ladies and guys. Papa Murphys lists the following available markets for franchising:
[h=2]Iowa[/h]Available Markets:

• Carroll
  • Des Moines
  • Le Mars
  • Newton
  • Pleasant Hill
  • Spencer
  • Sioux City

So either OP has already made a decision, or Papa Murphys doesn't want on in NL anyways.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
You stated my feelings pretty well. I want to pour every ounce of passion and desire into something and have the reward be for my family and me, instead of "the man." I think the situation we're in and the fact that it's a growing city and a top 30 franchise with a < 2% failure rate make the risk worth taking.

My current job sitting in a cubicle is sucking the life out of me. I simply can't do it for 20 more years. I just can't. I've been looking for a long time and this is the first opportunity that jumped out and made me believe I could do it.

I'm not trying to be a ****, because I've tended to be on your side of the conversation with all this wife stuff, but I'm not sure I get this part with a franchisee. I could understand the quoted if you were starting your own business from scratch to pour passion into it, but doesn't a Papa Murphy's pretty much run itself? They recommended you send out mailers here and there with all the other spam, you manage a few high schoolers looking for part time jobs, maybe hand out fliers at a local parade, and that's it. I don't think there is going above and beyond for most franchisee opportunities, i think you spend most of your time making sure people don't **** up doing things that are counterproductive to the brand.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This is a neat part of the Wiki for Papa Murphy's

[h=2]Lawsuit[edit][/h]Papa Murphy's is being sued currently by 20 franchises over misrepresenting and omitting key facts about the chain's financial performance and advertising in franchise disclosure documents.[SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP][SUP][17][/SUP]

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I'm not trying to be a ****, because I've tended to be on your side of the conversation with all this wife stuff, but I'm not sure I get this part with a franchisee. I could understand the quoted if you were starting your own business from scratch to pour passion into it, but doesn't a Papa Murphy's pretty much run itself? They recommended you send out mailers here and there with all the other spam, you manage a few high schoolers looking for part time jobs, maybe hand out fliers at a local parade, and that's it. I don't think there is going above and beyond for most franchisee opportunities, i think you spend most of your time making sure people don't **** up doing things that are counterproductive to the brand.

We have a Pizza Ranch in our town. The franchisee (I assume they are franchises) that runs it absolutely treats it like his own business. Everyone in town knows him, everyone likes him, he is active in the community, and because of that he gets a lot of business from people. His passion for what he is doing directly has a positive impact on his bottom line.

You have to have the attitude that the OP does about it. If he starts a franchise with your attitude it will fall flat on it's face.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We have a Pizza Ranch in our town. The franchisee (I assume they are franchises) that runs it absolutely treats it like his own business. Everyone in town knows him, everyone likes him, he is active in the community, and because of that he gets a lot of business from people. His passion for what he is doing directly has a positive impact on his bottom line.

You have to have the attitude that the OP does about it. If he starts a franchise with your attitude it will fall flat on it's face.

You're correct. Pizza Ranch is a franchise. The good owners battle each other to see who can have the lowest waste percentagea and things like that and the ones who think it'll sustain itself just barely get by. It's tougher to lose money but you can do a killing if you really buy into it.

Last edited:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

That is very true and I'll retract my statement as I agree. I know my parents go to their local Pizza Ranch a lot just because of the owner. They also have Subways they will and won't go to based on ownership from SWI, to Omaha, to Des Moines.

I also went to the Quiznos here that was a little farther away because I liked their manager and staff. RIP Quiznos.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
people actually go to those take and bake places? I have never once gotten food from one of those. Always struck me as the oddest choice. You have to go get it and you have to cook it. Why wouldn't I just do DiGiorno's then?

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
people actually go to those take and bake places? I have never once gotten food from one of those. Always struck me as the oddest choice. You have to go get it and you have to cook it. Why wouldn't I just do DiGiorno's then?

Because it is much better than Digiorno's. Plus, I get to have what toppings I want and not the ones Digiono's dictates to me.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I've always felt the same way but it sounds like there is a market. I compare them to places like Godfathers, Pizza Hut, and some local places and the price is no better and they deliver to my house.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I once was like you, but then saw the light. Papa Murhpy's is top notch and well worth it.

edit: also DiGiorno's are all the same crust, sauce, cheese, and then random generic toppings (pep, 4 cheese, supreme, meat lovers).

Try something like this and tell me if it compares:

chicken_bacon_artichoke.jpg
Chicken Bacon Artichoke

Artisan Thin Crust, Creamy Garlic Sauce, Chicken, Bacon, Artichoke Hearts, Spinach, Parmesan, Zesty Herbs.

edit: not to hate on just pepperoni, as I think they have the best pepperoni pizza around, better than Casey's

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

honestly it's pretty good stuff. Better than your average delievery place.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's much better than a frozen pizza but less good than most decent pizza places including most chains IMO.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I've always felt the same way but it sounds like there is a market. I compare them to places like Godfathers, Pizza Hut, and some local places and the price is no better and they deliver to my house.

personally i think they are way better than chain pizza (godfathers, pizza hut, papa johns, all of them). The only reason I order the others is for the convenience factor, which is the only thing lacking for PM.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
shrugs, easy enough to add toppings to a frozen pizza or bring home a hot pizza. Otherwise I'll just do homemade at home. Just never looked desirable to me.

In any case, looking for affirmation here doesn't solve the issue of the spouse not being on board. Maybe OP has had ideas like this before and lost interest, maybe she doesn't think the partner relationship will work - there are a lot of valid concerns she could have. I'd be figuring out what those reasons are and what she needs to see happen for her to be on board. Or what alternative ideas she would be more interested in/supportive of.