List of potential replacements should Fred Hoiberg leave

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Link please

I think Pollard floated the Hornacek rumor because he needs cover when he hires TJ. I doubt Hornacek has been contacted. Coupled with the stuff coming out last night that apparently no one likes Hornacek, so why do we want him anyway.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I think Pollard floated the Hornacek rumor because he needs cover when he hires TJ. I doubt Hornacek has been contacted. Coupled with the stuff coming out last night that apparently no one likes Hornacek, so why do we want him anyway.

I know for a fact Jeff has not been contacted.
I do not know if his agent has.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I think people are grossly overestimating the job. Hoiberg alone made the program relevant. HE made Iowa State a top 15-20 program in the nation. Without Fred I don't see it the same way to be honest. YES, it is one hell of a team coming back next year. But without Fred (going forward) are we are not the same brand. Fred's presence and hyper-ascent in the media's eyes was all on him. It was a once in a lifetime story that we were very fortunate to witness. He's a golden child. Played at Ames High, ISU and the league for 10 years. Good looking. Unbelievable presence. A family that greeting card companies fawn over. Pollard can't replicate that. Hornachek is the closest thing and it pales in comparison. Fred created a narrative about ISU basketball, taking "cast-offs" and turning them into high scoring winners.

This is no simple changing of the guard. It's the end of something that we all dreamed would be a Coach K type situation. Sustained success because the leader was big enough to make it happen. Those type of guys are few and far between. If Fred leaves it won't ever be the same. That's not to say ISU can't win, can't compete in the Big 12 or nationally. But it won't be the same.

So if it's TJ or whoever, people have to give it a chance. This is like being the next Bears coach after Ditka leaves. There is no right answer. How could there be. It's not Fred. There are talented basketball coaches out there. I trust Pollard knows what he's got on his hands. He knows the fever-pitch of fans that tasted being among the elite, talked about basketball programs in the country. He was smart enough to see what Fred could be and do for Iowa State. That was no small risk.

I'm sad right now. But I'm not discouraged. I'm an Iowa State fan.

I wouldn't cross Hornacek off so easily. His dad was his high school coach and Johnny Orr said that Hornacek was like having a coach on the floor. Johnny never said that about Hoiberg. Hornacek came in as a freshman and within a few games was starting. And just an aside, have you ever seen a picture of the Hornacek family, it's pretty picturesque.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I wouldn't cross Hornacek off so easily. His dad was his high school coach and Johnny Orr said that Hornacek was like having a coach on the floor. Johnny never said that about Hoiberg. Hornacek came in as a freshman and within a few games was starting. And just an aside, have you ever seen a picture of the Hornacek family, it's pretty picturesque.

Reread my post. Hornacek is the closest thing to Fred given all the storylines but he's not Fred. That's the point. No one ever will be. I'd be fine with Hornacek. I was trying to make a greater point that Fred was/is a once in a lifetime scenario for an Iowa State of the world.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Of course his agent has been. That's how this is done. JP isn't going to contact Hornacek without an opening.

Well the guy I am speaking to is pretty much saying Jeff has not had any discussions with his agent either about the ISU job, but that was of as a couple of hours ago before the Bulls job officially opened up.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know for a fact Jeff has not been contacted.
I do not know if his agent has.

If I didn't feel like Iowa State fans have been and are being played in this whole thing that would be nice.

And for god's sake, if you are Jamie Pollard you ******* contact Jeff Hornacek and ask him if he is interested. Jesus.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Reread my post. Hornacek is the closest thing to Fred given all the storylines but he's not Fred. That's the point. No one ever will be. I'd be fine with Hornacek. I was trying to make a greater point that Fred was/is a once in a lifetime scenario for an Iowa State of the world.

Yep, which is why the whole thing completely sucks.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

You stated in your post that Hornacek "pales in comparison" to Hoiberg. My point was that Hornacek has a lot going for him and that I wouldn't dismiss him so lightly. Hornacek could turn out to be much better than Fred, espacially if he would stay for longer than 5 years.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You stated in your post that Hornacek "pales in comparison" to Hoiberg. My point was that Hornacek has a lot going for him and that I wouldn't dismiss him so lightly. Hornacek could turn out to be much better, espacially if he would stay for longer than 5 years.

I'm not cheering for Fred to fail, but Hornacek has already proven he can hold his own as an NBA coach. He is putting up a decent win % in a stacked conference with a roster that doesn't stack up that well.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You stated in your post that Hornacek "pales in comparison" to Hoiberg. My point was that Hornacek has a lot going for him and that I wouldn't dismiss him so lightly. Hornacek could turn out to be much better, espacially if he would stay for longer than 5 years.

I think everyone agrees that Hornacek would, at the very least, somewhat dull the pain of losing Hoiberg.

I think it is increasingly clear however that Pollard isn't interested in Hornacek an Hornacek isn't interested in Pollard.

I think we've got our head coach. Might as well name him when we announce Fred leaving.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not cheering for Fred to fail, but Hornacek has already proven he can hold his own as an NBA coach. He is putting up a decent win % in a stacked conference with a roster that doesn't stack up that well.

I'm cheering for the Bulls to fail and if that includes Hoiberg, I guess that is the way the cookie crumbles. He's devastated, I'm sure.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I think everyone agrees that Hornacek would, at the very least, somewhat dull the pain of losing Hoiberg.

I think it is increasingly clear however that Pollard isn't interested in Hornacek an Hornacek isn't interested in Pollard.

I think we've got our head coach. Might as well name him when we announce Fred leaving.

I'm afraid that you're right. I'm still stuck in the denial stage. i can't believe that this is happening again to ISU.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
You stated in your post that Hornacek "pales in comparison" to Hoiberg. My point was that Hornacek has a lot going for him and that I wouldn't dismiss him so lightly. Hornacek could turn out to be much better than Fred, espacially if he would stay for longer than 5 years.

I'm not dismissing him! I'm saying he's the next closest thing! But it's NOT FRED! FRED and FRED alone created what we see at Iowa State and the national narrative the comes along with it. Hornacek may be the next Adolph Rupp. That's great. Wouldn't that be a nice way to forget about Fred.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I'm not dismissing him! I'm saying he's the next closest thing! But it's NOT FRED! FRED and FRED alone created what we see at Iowa State and the national narrative the comes along with it. Hornacek may be the next Adolph Rupp. That's great. Wouldn't that be a nice way to forget about Fred.

I could handle that. As others have pointed out, it doesn't look likely that we'll get Hornacek. So I'm back to the denial stage-I can't believe that this happening.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I could handle that. As others have pointed out, it doesn't look likely that we'll get Hornacek. So I'm back to the denial stage-I can't believe that this happening.

Honestly, I'm still holding out hope. If not, whoever the coach is next year will have a great team. Not all is lost.