hawk fb program headed to the bottom

Twilight

Apr 20, 2015
It's not trolling, Iowa will always be little brother even with fans like D UP unless wrestling becomes a major sport

But it really kind of is trolling, considering that that has been their go-to since 'Nam or even before that. So I don't agree with you when you say that it isn't trolling. 'Big brother-little brother' isn't fluid, it's largely static. Some good ISU bball years and us beating them in football won't change the grand perception that ISU is either little brother to them or on equal footing.
It definitely isn't largely believed that Iowa is little brother in this equation. To change that would take a decade of dominance in something while they have a lot of misery. Us beating them in football to take away their perfect season (2002) or us beating them and then going on to win 2 (TWO ****ing games) won't change that equation. Basketball gives me hope but we still don't get the blue-blood recruits that it'll take to become consistently great, partially because recruits are probably constantly scared away by the rumors about Fred going pro. every effing offseason.

Last edited:

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Hey guys, over here, I'm not sure why this is getting overlooked, but I just wanna go to a bowl game...

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
But it really kind of is trolling, considering that that has been their go-to since 'Nam or even before that. So I don't agree with you when you say that it isn't trolling. 'Big brother-little brother' isn't fluid, it's largely static. Some good ISU bball years and us beating them in football won't change the grand perception that ISU is either little brother to them or on equal footing. It definitely isn't largely believed that Iowa is little brother in this equation. To change that would take a decade of dominance in something while they have a lot of misery. Us beating them in football to take away their perfect season (2002) or us beating them and then going on to win 2 (TWO ****ing games) won't change that equation. Basketball gives me hope but we still don't get the blue-blood recruits that it'll take to become consistently great, partially because recruits are probably constantly scared away by the rumors about Fred going pro. every effing offseason.

Only Iowa fans think that way, any unbiased fan doesn't think that way. There are two major sports people care about and we're light years better in one of them and beat them half the time in the other.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Largely static! My goodness I just hit the floor laughing.

So you are saying iowa will always be big brother in hawk fans minds even as isu is beating them on the field and the classroom.

A person can't make this stuff up. It's gets to the core of what being a Tavernhawk is.

But it really kind of is trolling, considering that that has been their go-to since 'Nam or even before that. So I don't agree with you when you say that it isn't trolling. 'Big brother-little brother' isn't fluid, it's largely static. Some good ISU bball years and us beating them in football won't change the grand perception that ISU is either little brother to them or on equal footing. It definitely isn't largely believed that Iowa is little brother in this equation. To change that would take a decade of dominance in something while they have a lot of misery. Us beating them in football to take away their perfect season (2002) or us beating them and then going on to win 2 (TWO ****ing games) won't change that equation. Basketball gives me hope but we still don't get the blue-blood recruits that it'll take to become consistently great, partially because recruits are probably constantly scared away by the rumors about Fred going pro. every effing offseason.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
605093.jpg

PerkyForHerky

Jun 30, 2010

So you are saying iowa will always be big brother in hawk fans minds even as isu is beating them on the field and the classroom.

A person can't make this stuff up. It's gets to the core of what being a Tavernhawk is.

ISU is beating Iowa in the classroom under which statistics? Please support your argument.

There's one that's been brought up, and that was that Iowa gets more applications than ISU yet has less (read: accepted) student population. Which doesn't look completely favorable if ISU is such a better education institution. So I wouldn't keep using the class size argument that you're stuck on.

GiantMidget

Apr 11, 2015

This "big brother/little brother" **** has always made me cringe no matter who it is directed at. Just step back and think how stupid that debate sounds.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hasn't been able to find? When was the last time they were looking?

Which is even worse really. I find it kind of funny when people are all, "It's year 6 of Rhoads! OMG failure rewarded!" when KF is in like year 26 and has been failing hard for the past 6 years as well.

Twilight

Apr 20, 2015
Only Iowa fans think that way, any unbiased fan doesn't think that way. There are two major sports people care about and we're light years better in one of them and beat them half the time in the other.

ISU became little brother in the Fry years when we consistently had the snot beat out of us, while they were nationally relevant. That was a decade of dominance for them and it still lingers.

Yeah, we beat Ferentz quite a bit but it hasn't resulted in winning seasons while he usually has winning seasons. I would take a winning season and a loss to Iowa over a win against them and a losing season. I don't think you folks share that sentiment, and that makes you fit the little-brother mantra to a tee.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
ISU became little brother in the Fry years when we consistently had the snot beat out of us, while they were nationally relevant. That was a decade of dominance for them and it still lingers.

Yeah, we beat Ferentz quite a bit but it hasn't resulted in winning seasons while he usually has winning seasons. I would take a winning season and a loss to Iowa over a win against them and a losing season. I don't think you folks share that sentiment, and that makes you fit the little-brother mantra to a tee.

Who cares about the Fry years? I know any unbiased fan wouldn't. To pretend you're "big brother" because of something twenty years ago is a joke IMO. Exactly why I make fun of Iowa fans about living in the past.

I literally don't think any one ISU fan feels that way. Why would myself or any other fan rather beat a mediocre to poor B1G team instead of have a winning season against teams in a good conference? Literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Last edited:

Twilight

Apr 20, 2015
Who cares about the Fry years, I know any unbiased fan wouldn't? To pretend you're "big brother" because of something twenty years ago is a joke IMO. Exactly why I make fun of Iowa fans about living in the past.

I literally don't think any one ISU fan feels that way. Why would myself or any other fan rather beat a mediocre to poor B1G team instead of have a winning season against teams in a good conference? Literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard

That's a good question, why are you valuing head-to-head match-ups as more worthy of consideration than records and bowl appearances? The season isn't judged on one game every year, and head-to-head considerations are really only taken into account when teams have the same record. Let's start beating them and then having better seasons than them. We lost to Kansas last year, Dude. Kansas.

PerkyForHerky

Jun 30, 2010

See: page 5 of this thread.

I don't really give 2 ***** if we go 2-10 and beat west Virginia and say tcu. I want to beat UNI, Iowa, and all of the former members of the big 8. Unfortunately we don't get to play 3 of them anymore.

It won't be the same winning the big 12 if iowa state ever does when the big 12 is full of odd balls from across the country.

Rivalries are what make college football great

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
ISU should at least get a win over OU every 15 years, rite? Going on 24 years now.

That should be the next coach's goal. Seriously. Put it in the damned contract. Beat Oklahoma and the rest should take care of itself. Beating Iowa isn't that big of a deal and that's why this thread is a total fail.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That's a good question, why are you valuing head-to-head match-ups as more worthy of consideration than records and bowl appearances? The season isn't judged on one game every year, and head-to-head considerations are really only taken into account when teams have the same record. Let's start beating them and then having better seasons than them. We lost to Kansas last year, Dude. Kansas.

It's laughable to think you are "big brother" when you can't beat a poor football team like ISU more than 50% of the time. That's their own problem. They obviously put a lot of emphasis in that game, playing ISU's fight song all week, playing Scherff the week he had surgery, etc. You have to remember they are the ones comparing themselves to us, not the other way around. Plus I'd rather beat Kansas than Iowa any day of the week.

PerkyForHerky

Jun 30, 2010
That poster does have a point that there is less luster playing teams like TCU, Baylor, Tech, WVU than playing Missouri, Nebraska, or even Minnesota.

I don't disagree. But Cy's statement was pretty broad and it's easy to find members in a fanbase that feel differently.

Really broad statements need to be reeled in sometimes. Such as every single post D Up has ever made.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron