Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Chicken-Little-classic-disney-218743_1280_1024.jpg

But seriously, even if he would leave before next year what is all this teenage angst going to accomplish? Enjoy the now and quit seeing the boogey man in every shadow.

I'd agree if we were in the middle of the season, but not much to enjoy now with Iowa State basketball until this resolves itself.

As far as sports topics go right now, this is the time to be concerned.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Its certainly an "edgy" time for everyone, and no, that's not being dramatic with the way the last month has been. I have no idea what CFH will do for next year, but losing more games in the NBA would not be a deterrant for him, imo. If you've followed what he's said in many interviews about winning being more of a "relief" than anything, and how hard he takes losses or criticism, the NBA is exactly the place he would want to be. Where losses were more common, more expected, and not the ones where you feel like you've let your beloved university & your entire hometown down. That's not my opinion, either....its been well stated how personally he takes things. Somebody once said that the instant success and frenzy he's brought back to our program has created its own monster for him, and that may be true, in some way. Again, no clue what will happen, but you can bet I'm pulling for the Bulls in every playoff game. And like someone said earlier, that may not matter anyways. Just like Brooks at OKCity. Sure hope he's here next year at least. Really looking forward to a top 10 caliber team.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
I suppose, but that quote is pretty obvious. Some people will not believe that, but the only intpretation that makes any sense is mine.

But it seems like another poster with a history of being correct thinks that if the Bulls job opens up, he's gone.

I'm hopeful that Fred likes being the Mayor too much and when push comes to shove, he won't really want to leave.

funny, I made a lot of these points yesterday, as did you, and was lambasted about how there is 0 chance Fred leaves for NBA... I just see it as a real possibility, although I definitely don't want it to happen...

and although ugh he may not want the Bulls job to be open this year, and would prefer it to be next year, the fact is it may be this year OR who knows when again if he passes..

and to to those who say he hates losing too much for NBA, take this into consideration...a loss at ISU probably puts 10x the stress on him as an NBA loss does....he is worshipped here, and I think feels SO much pressure not to let people down here....it has been said behind the scenes, as well as mentioned openly, how stressful this year was on him....being out of Ames and in the NBA may be an easier life, despite the amount of games, as he will not feel the pressure of letting down an entire fan base so close to him....

all speculation, but my guess on Diallo is Fred didn't go see him as Diallo said he was not considering if Fred was not 100% for sure next year ( yeah, go ahead and slam how silly that is....same for Williams leaving to follow Matt, wants to know one of his contacts would be at ISU next year and left when not guaranteed).

TJ coming back would also protect our current roster as he has relationships with our key guys....so there is some familiarity if Fred goes, where we still have the pieces to make a run next year...

He may stay, but it's not the definite lock that a lot of you are stating...and I understand that as a Cyclone fan, we want to convince ourselves it's not happening.... And I sure hope it doesn't....but nervous for sure...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You spent all season concerned about this, and now the offseason as well.
Apparently, every time is the time to be concerned.

Honestly, I didn't. I didn't dismiss the idea that he would dare to consider the NBA like some people did. But before Matt left and TJ surprisingly and oddly came back, I felt very good about him staying next year (I was really worried during the 2013-2014 season).

Like I've said, if you want to be paranoid about him leaving, the last month has given a person a thousand reasons to be concerned.

And like I said, I am hopeful that when push comes to shove, he'd have a hard time leaving. The only connection I have to him is through a couple of different people. But I've heard that it would be hard for him to leave because he likes what he means to Iowa State and Ames. He'd lose some of that if he left. We'd still love him, but it wouldn't be the same and he would certainly hurt his legacy.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
I thought most of the lambasting was over posters saying that Fred leaving was the only possible interpretation of Romar's comments.

Possibly, but I never mentioned his comments at all....just stated that if you look at everything that has happened the last month or so, we have cause for concern....and the biggest thing we should hope for is a Bulls run to at least the Conf finals, where I think Thibs is back. If they lose next round against Cavs, I think the job opens up, which is where we have serious concern

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Its certainly an "edgy" time for everyone, and no, that's not being dramatic with the way the last month has been. I have no idea what CFH will do for next year, but losing more games in the NBA would not be a deterrant for him, imo. If you've followed what he's said in many interviews about winning being more of a "relief" than anything, and how hard he takes losses or criticism, the NBA is exactly the place he would want to be. Where losses were more common, more expected, and not the ones where you feel like you've let your beloved university & your entire hometown down. That's not my opinion, either....its been well stated how personally he takes things. Somebody once said that the instant success and frenzy he's brought back to our program has created its own monster for him, and that may be true, in some way. Again, no clue what will happen, but you can bet I'm pulling for the Bulls in every playoff game. And like someone said earlier, that may not matter anyways. Just like Brooks at OKCity. Sure hope he's here next year at least. Really looking forward to a top 10 caliber team.

I'll disagree that he feels that much more pressure to win here than he would anywhere else. He's not stupid and he knows that he would be pretty much loved here if he was as successful as Mad Fran over at Iowa. The fact that he is elite level successful is a bonus. He wouldn't have that built in love in Chicago.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Honestly, I didn't. I didn't dismiss the idea that he would dare to consider the NBA like some people did. But before Matt left and TJ surprisingly and oddly came back, I felt very good about him staying next year (I was really worried during the 2013-2014 season).

Like I've said, if you want to be paranoid about him leaving, the last month has given a person a thousand reasons to be concerned.

And like I said, I am hopeful that when push comes to shove, he'd have a hard time leaving. The only connection I have to him is through a couple of different people. But I've heard that it would be hard for him to leave because he likes what he means to Iowa State and Ames. He'd lose some of that if he left. We'd still love him, but it wouldn't be the same and he would certainly hurt his legacy.

Honestly, you did. You brought it up roughly 19,000 times, even in threads that had absolutely nothing to do with the subject.

Why would anyone want to be paranoid about Fred leaving? It's not in my control.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Honestly, you did. You brought it up roughly 19,000 times, even in threads that had absolutely nothing to do with the subject.

Why would anyone want to be paranoid about Fred leaving? It's not in my control.

No I didn't. I've consistently said that it is stupid to act like he doesn't want to coach in the NBA or all of that crap that some people post about how they'd never like coaching in the NBA, so Fred wouldn't either. But I didn't think he'd leave after this year.

I have posted roughly 19,000 times since TJ was hired that it seems fishy to me and that the whole thing stinks.

And you are the on in this thread. If you don't care if he leaves, then I would think you wouldn't post in here.

I'll say this too.....I had sort felt that the whole thing had kind of died out until Romer's quotes yesterday. And I was all ready to come home tonight and not say a word about any of this since there was nothing new. But then a new post by Cyclone07 makes the topic suddenly relevant again.

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It's funny how butthurt some people get when other posters have theories that they don't like.

I mean I don't think Fred's leaving but it's certainly possible.

For all we know, with Fred's health what it is, he may want to sign one NBA contract, work 3-5 more years and then retire knowing that his entire family will never have to worry about money the rest of their lives (and do it in a city that he and his family are familiar with and enjoyed).

With his recent surgery, I don't think it's likely, but anything is possible.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think if he left it would be for the Bulls or Timberwolves. I think the Bulls would be harder to pass up than the Timberwolves like he has, since they have tradition and talent. I also don't think he wants to go yet, and they Matt wouldn't have went to St. John's just for a few months before jumping ship with Fred to the NBA.

I also remember 90% of this board two years ago wanting Otz to return as HC after Fred leaves.

I just hope the Bulls job doesn't open up this year. Not that it's a guaranteed yes, but it's gotta be tough for him to say no.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's funny how butthurt some people get when other posters have theories that they don't like.

I mean I don't think Fred's leaving but it's certainly possible.

For all we know, with Fred's health what it is, he may want to sign one NBA contract, work 3-5 more years and then retire knowing that his entire family will never have to worry about money the rest of their lives (and do it in a city that he and his family are familiar with and enjoyed).

With his recent surgery, I don't think it's likely, but anything is possible.

It's funny how posters call people idiots, hiding their heads in the sand and too scared to see the truth when they disagree that their interpretation is the correct and only logical one of an extremely vague comment.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think if he left it would be for the Bulls or Timberwolves. I think the Bulls would be harder to pass up than the Timberwolves like he has, since they have tradition and talent. I also don't think he wants to go yet, and they Matt wouldn't have went to St. John's just for a few months before jumping ship with Fred to the NBA.

I also remember 90% of this board two years ago wanting Otz to return as HC after Fred leaves.

I just hope the Bulls job doesn't open up this year. Not that it's a guaranteed yes, but it's gotta be tough for him to say no.

Who wanted Otz to return as head coach if he left? Not me. People right now seem pretty damn certain that there is no way that Pollard would consider him seriously if Fred left this year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's funny how posters call people idiots, hiding their heads in the sand and too scared to see the truth when they disagree that their interpretation is the correct and only logical one of an extremely vague comment.

I think that I would be less likely to dismiss some of you (and believe you) if you didnt' think that Romer's comments were vague.

I think if you read Romer's quote to 100 non-biased fans (i.e. not any of us!), and explained the situation, you would find that most of them would think it meant that Romer thought that TJ would be the head coach at Iowa State sooner rather than later.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
[QUOTE"I told him that I had a chance to go back home (to Iowa State) and be part of what could be a Top 5 program," Otzelberger said Wednesday.][/QUOTE]

"Lorenzo's answer was more along the lines that obviously I had a chance to go back home and coach a team that's probably going to be ranked high," Otzelberger said.

"I read into it that I had a chance to return home and coach what could be a top five team," Otzelberger said. "That's all."

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
[QUOTE"I told him that I had a chance to go back home (to Iowa State) and be part of what could be a Top 5 program," Otzelberger said Wednesday.]
[/QUOTE]

I fully realize what he said yesterday about it. And OF COURSE that is the way to spin it.

But if it was really about that, then Romer would have said he was going back to join a successful team. It's not secret that an Iowa State team coached by Hoiberg (not necessarily Otz) would be a top 10 team pre-season next year. Why be cryptic when answering the question? The reporter even said it didn't make any sense and Romer still didn't clarify. And I don't buy for a second he was referring to his tenure at Washington being in jeopardy. Coaches don't talk like that.

Honestly, I think the best case scenerio with that quote is that TJ told Romer that Pollard had told him that the job was his when it opened up (whenever it opened up) and that he felt he should get back there. And then maybe Romer interpreted as Fred leaving this year.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
Wow! Now TJ's lying to it cover up. It's a conspiracy!
Fred will probably stay now, but only because Romar can't keep a secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.