RIP, Veishea

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'm going to take a guess here and guess you were standing there being like 'oh my god, this is so cool' and jumped on facebook to brag you were there and there was a riot going on.
I would definitely consider that adding to the fuel for student that did that.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
How is it in any way a knee jerk reaction? This incident happened back in April. They've been deliberating about it for months. If they had canceled it within a week of it happening, that would have been a knee jerk reaction.

It was pretty clear when they assembled the task force members that this was the intended result. Knee jerk + a sham task force to create some cover for it.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm going to take a guess here and guess you were standing there being like 'oh my god, this is so cool' and jumped on facebook to brag you were there and there was a riot going on.

Keep guessing. I actually went back and looked at the VEISHEA thread on here before the riot. A lot of people on here were joking about the riots. What did I say regarding it? On April 8th 3:48pm:

I honestly don't see the appeal of rioting. My friends want a riot to happen so bad but I just don't see how it is a good thing.

What if it was your car getting flipped? What if it was your business getting the windows smashed in? What if someone dies or gets seriously injured? Not so fun now is it?

I love VEISHEA don't get me wrong but I don't want a riot to happen.

So get out of my life.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Keep guessing. I actually went back and looked at the VEISHEA thread on here before the riot. A lot of people on here were joking about the riots. What did I say regarding it? On April 8th 3:48pm:

So get out of my life.

Yea I was literally right next to the first car flipping with everyone chanting around us. I tried to look as bystanderish as possible after I noticed barely didn't have their phone out. I was then on street corners watching from then on out

I thought you were 80 feet away?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I thought you were 80 feet away?

EDIT. I was mistaken on my distance. he actually said 80 YARDS away, not feet. Yet somehow "literally right next to the first car flipping"

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Actually, I think it shows the students that, if you break crap, you have to deal with the repercussions.

If I give my 4-year-old a toy, and she breaks it on purpose, I'm not going to go out and get her a new toy, or fancy up another toy to try and make her feel all happy inside. She broke the damn toy, now it's gone.

Yep, that's a mom, right there....now, you need to work in "turning this car around right now" and "don't make me come in there" somehow.

:pwink:

You're right, though.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
EDIT. I was mistaken on my distance. he actually said 80 YARDS away, not feet. Yet somehow "literally right next to the first car flipping"

I was at that hunt street party. Got funneled down to Welch, and was going to hit up a bar. As I was walking down Welch, the car got flipped next to us and they wouldn't let me into Welch Ave Station so I stayed there. But this ain't a court case and you ain't no judge. You can hate me all you want, which you do but whatever.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I was at that hunt street party. Got funneled down to Welch, and was going to hit up a bar. As I was walking down Welch, the car got flipped next to us and they wouldn't let me into Welch Ave Station so I stayed there. But this ain't a court case and you ain't no judge. You can hate me all you want, which you do but whatever.

You're right, I'm not. I'm just a farm kid who knows bull**** when he smells it. And you screaming your head off, and tossing blame around for the untimely demise of VEISHEA, when you were closer to being responsible to the event than almost anyone who didn't actually tip a car, well that absolutely reeks of bull****.

Last edited:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You're right, I'm not. I'm just a farm kid who knows bull**** when he smells it. And you screaming your head off, and tossing blame around for the untimely demise of VEISHEA, when you were closer to being responsible to the event than almost anyone who didn't actually tip a car, well that absolutely reeks of bull****.

Guilty by association is just a lovely thing. But love how an Admin and Global Mod will pick personal fights on this site.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Guilty by association is just a lovely thing. But love how an Admin and Global Mod will pick personal fights on this site.

DERP. Nobody's modding you. We're having a discussion on the topic that we disagree on.

You, yourself, opened the doors to this by posting your VEISHEA activities on this site, back in April. You were fine with everyone knowing about it then, but now that your posts contradict your current narrative, they're suddenly out of bounds? We happen to disagree on this topic, but it's not personal.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

He's absolutely right. Just because he's a MOD he shouldn't point out your hypocricy? Whether you choose to believe it or not the numbers added by onlookers gives power to the mob mentality. A mob that outnumbers police 10 to 1 generally won't do everything that a mob that outnumbers police 20 to 1 will do and a mob that out numbers police 50 to 1 will generally feel they can get away with things that they wouldn't be comfortable doing outnumbering police 20 to 1. Like it or not all of the onlookers are contributing to that mob mentality and feeling of safety in numbers.

You brought the issue of who was to blame up by pointing at the administration; Janny didn't.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
If I give my 4-year-old a toy, and she breaks it on purpose, I'm not going to go out and get her a new toy, or fancy up another toy to try and make her feel all happy inside. She broke the damn toy, now it's gone.

What about when her friends come over for a birthday party and 2 friends break the toy and the other 18 friends are acting normally? Do you kick out the two breaking toys or do you cancel all future birthday parties? That's a more accurate analogy.

You know who thinks riots and breaking things are cool? Drunk college students.

You know who doesn't? The rest of us.

Almost 100 years of tradition, parades, kids activities, and ISU alumni traveling back to Ames to spend time at Iowa State...all gone. Hope those drunk riots were worth it!

I've bolded parts as to why I think this was a bad decision. drunk college kids have now ruined a 100 year tradition that brought back alumni and molded future ISU students. why not eliminate the drunk college kid part while retaining the part catering to kids and alumni. It's almost like they didn't even try to make that happen.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
DERP. Nobody's modding you. We're having a discussion on the topic that we disagree on.

You, yourself, opened the doors to this by posting your VEISHEA activities on this site, back in April. You were fine with everyone knowing about it then, but now that your posts contradict your current narrative, they're suddenly out of bounds? We happen to disagree on this topic, but it's not personal.

There are no contradictions. There wasn't a mob when 5 guys flipped the car across the street from Welch Ave Station. I was there when it happened and stayed up by Welch Ave Station as everyone ran. But you can keep nitpicking at my story all you want. There have been no lies. If you want an extremely detailed story, I'll come down to Welch and literally reenact what I did.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What about when her friends come over for a birthday party and 2 friends break the toy and the other 18 friends are acting normally? Do you kick out the two breaking toys or do you cancel all future birthday parties? That's a more accurate analogy.

I disagree that it's a more accurate analogy. The toy was also given to the two friends who broke it. There was one toy, given to all 20 kids. Two kids broke it. Over and over, despite me trying to fix it in-between each time. That truly sucks for the other 18 kids, but I'm not going to take my time teaching someone else's brats over and over again to leave crap alone, and make the further mistake of FUNDING this "teaching moment." Apparently the group as a whole can't handle the toy, so we move on. Perhaps peer pressure will teach the two little ****heads to stop breaking shared crap.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I feel bad for the current students, but this just kind of reminds me of when you have to put the family dog to sleep. My family would come up for it in the 80s. It was stil pretty impressive when I started as a freshman in '89. When we came back in '94 it was already a shell of it's former self.

It it just seems to me that the time had come to finally pull the plug, it was never going to improve.

harty83

Nov 15, 2006
Sioux Falls SD
The problem as I see it: one of the pro-VEISHEA arguments running through this thread is "Now there will be riots because there is no VEISHEA," which can be simplified to "Riots because VEISHEA." Whether you enjoyed legitimate VEISHEA activities, or just got drunk and stupid; whether you hated the riots, or tolerated them, or made excuses for them, or participated in them, the mere idea of rioting became part of VEISHEA. To anyone outside of the ISU community it was even more so. It got pretty embarrassing for this alumnus. The right decision has been made. Good riddance.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The problem as I see it: one of the pro-VEISHEA arguments running through this thread is "Now there will be riots because there is no VEISHEA," which can be simplified to "Riots because VEISHEA." Whether you enjoyed legitimate VEISHEA activities, or just got drunk and stupid; whether you hated the riots, or tolerated them, or made excuses for them, or participated in them, the mere idea of rioting became part of VEISHEA. To anyone outside of the ISU community it was even more so. It got pretty embarrassing for this alumnus. The right decision has been made. Good riddance.

that's an excellent point.