RIP, Veishea

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Periodic issues happen with every event though. I dont see anyone demanding the state fair end because of the idiots that turn up for that nearly every year. Ending VEISHEA because of the actions of a few idiots is a knee jerk response and does nothing to punish those that actually did anything... it just punishes the 99% that enjoyed veishea and had no part in the problematic acts.

Did the State Fair have twelve riots since 1985?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
While I don't blame Leath for the VEISHEA decision, because he really was in between a rock and a hard place, he overall has made some terrible decisions in past couple years. The Bubu fiasco is one thing. I've heard from countless people who work for the university that he fires valuable University employees who have been there for decades with no cause.

Seems like a guy that's on a power trip. He should takes notes from the job Geoffroy did..

I didn't follow the Bubu thing enough to understand what the uproar is over it - other than he drug his feet a bit. And I think this decision was near inevitable - and believe Geoffroy's hand would've been forced to the same outcome.

I'll simply state that Geoffroy wasn't without criticism as well. First and foremost - firing Eustachy. Opinions differ on that one. I was unhappy about it, although I understood it would've been risky and a PR nightmare to retain him.

And he cancelled VEISHEA for a year as well - correct? Not a popular decision at the time. I agree with others that VEISHEA will be reincarnated in some form, and soon.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So come up with a better plan. It sends a horrible message to the students. It tells them "can't" is a word. You are supposed to be Iowa State....innovative....leading edge. Come up with success. Don't let detractors ruin your best showcase.

Actually, I think it shows the students that, if you break crap, you have to deal with the repercussions.

If I give my 4-year-old a toy, and she breaks it on purpose, I'm not going to go out and get her a new toy, or fancy up another toy to try and make her feel all happy inside. She broke the damn toy, now it's gone.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don't think some of you realize how close Geoffery was to ending VEISHEA. He said the next riot would end it forever. Would a lot of you who love him still be supporting him if he was still our University president right now. He likely would have done exactly what Leath had to do.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How many destructive riots have you seen on a week or weekend that was't VEISHEA. I'll give you a hint, it's a tight round number.

It's different though. Now there's a reason to riot on a weekend that isn't Veishea, because there is no weekend that IS Veishea. You have to think like a drunk 18-25 year old here.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
VEISHEA is over, might as well let it go. Embrace the new traditions/celebrations that arise (hopefully with a new slate and don't become synonymous with drinking copious amounts of alcohol and destroying things).

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I'll take a 90% success rate!

More like 60-70%. There was that huge drunken mob fight in the Kum and Go parking lot where tear gas was fired in 09/10, and the kid that fell off the balcony and died. Then there was the kid that fell down the elevator shaft during VEISHEA weekend as well.

Actually, I think it shows the students that, if you break crap, you have to deal with the repercussions.

If I give my 4-year-old a toy, and she breaks it on purpose, I'm not going to go out and get her a new toy, or fancy up another toy to try and make her feel all happy inside. She broke the damn toy, now it's gone.
But you should figure out ways to keep the kid from breaking toys. How will they ever learn not to break something if they don't have something to break?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
But you should figure out ways to keep the kid from breaking toys. How will they ever learn not to break something if they don't have something to break?

But they DID have something to break, and people tried to help them figure out how to not break it many times over the years. At a certain point, you just realize that the kid is going to keep being a ****head, and take away the toy.

I'm sorry, I just don't think it's the responsibility of the administration to teach kids to not act like idiots. These are all young adults, some even older than that. They're old enough to be drafted, smoke, and vote, they're certainly old enough to know better than to not tip over cars.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Did the State Fair have twelve riots since 1985?

Add in a murder, injuries, and a lot of property damage that made national headlines too.

You know who thinks riots and breaking things are cool? Drunk college students.

You know who doesn't? The rest of us.

Almost 100 years of tradition, parades, kids activities, and ISU alumni traveling back to Ames to spend time at Iowa State...all gone. Hope those drunk riots were worth it!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
More like 60-70%. There was that huge drunken mob fight in the Kum and Go parking lot where tear gas was fired in 09/10, and the kid that fell off the balcony and died. Then there was the kid that fell down the elevator shaft during VEISHEA weekend as well.

In fairness, Angie's 4 year old is probably smarter than a lot of today's kids in college.

Reactions: Angie

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa

^ This. x1000

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
Will they cancel the Basketball program once we win a National Championship because I guarantee Veishea roits will pale in comparison to that riot?

Respectfully, Why does there even have to be a riot after we win the NCAA title this March? Seriously, why do we get to break stuff and create havoc to celebrate? I have never understood why flipping a car is in alignment w/ winning a championship.

Your point is taken for sure but if somebody is that freakin stupid, I hope they are expelled and tossed into the clink for a long, long time.

I need convincing on why I should accept a riot (or multiple riots) as a standard of behavior for the Iowa State community.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You can continue to rationalize it however you want. You were still part of it.

Not going to go down a slippery slope like last time. There is a line, you think I crossed it, I think I didn't. Agree to disagree I suppose.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Respectfully, Why does there even have to be a riot after we win the NCAA title this March? Seriously, why do we get to break stuff and create havoc to celebrate? I have never understood why flipping a car is in alignment w/ winning a championship.

Your point is taken for sure but if somebody is that freakin stupid, I hope they are expelled and tossed into the clink for a long, long time.

I need convincing on why I should accept a riot (or multiple riots) as a standard of behavior for the Iowa State community.

This^^^^ go celebrate. Get drunk, **** your girlfriend or whomever, pass out and enjoy it for the rest of your life

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron